2003 Subaru Baja

BEST ALL ROUND CAR I EVER OWNED

by from HOPEWELL JUNCTION NY on April 2, 2011

BEST ALL ROUND CAR I EVER OWNED. GOT ME TO WORK IN ALL KINDS OF WEATHER. AT A GOOD PRICE. 25 MILES PLUS AT A GAL. OF GAS.

I love this Truck, but Subaru missed out.

by from 22624 on October 30, 2007

They should bring it back. They just need to ad some extras. Also market it better. If they had the limited version like the outback, then they would have sold a lot more. Also an optional cap.

2003 Baja

by from on November 9, 2008

I am a proud owner of a 2003 Baja. It has been an amazing car. I have been the only owner and made minimal repairs. I have carried a canoe and gazebo weighing 900 lbs in this vehicle. I would definatly recommend this car to anyone.

I'm in Love

by from Canandaigua, N.Y. on November 19, 2008

I just purchased my Baja from a friend . She purchased another used Baja.It has 100,000 miles. It handles great and I just drove it in our first winter storm. I live in Upstate N.Y. It did great. I truly enjoy driving it.I hope with loving care, I can drive it another 200,000 miles.

It's that Good

by from Ohio on February 13, 2014

I've owned my 2003 Baja for about a year, I was super blessed to find one with low miles (53k) and super shocked at how much I needed this vehicle. I previously owned a VW beetle convertible (up keep was insanely pricy and constant) needless to say I traded it in to help cover the cost of my Baja, no tears were shed to see it go. If you are an outdoor enthusiast, or like one commenter said need a truck occasionally seriously recommend this vehicle. What is it like owning a Baja? Gas Mileage: When I keep the oil changed, new tires, and do not "gun it" I get about 400 miles to the 12.5 (or 13 gallon tank) but I gun it and am seeing about 350 for a tank, I drive mostly country roads and highway. Never use cruise control but it works nicely. The Ride: Now this is the only con but it is fixable, there is an air sound in some models where you drive and it kind of sounds like your windows are down from air suction where the door mirrors are, there is a community online called the scooby truck and there is a fix. I will not do the fix for mine because I have speakers at that part of the door. Still I could care less (test drive it on an interstate to see if this will bother you). Also, the baja may one day idle hard, this happens in some but they are built to last. Interior: I have cloth seats, love them. They have plenty of compartments to store things, I have a sunroof and no leaks (it's always good to have it checked from time to time). I store my soft tonneau cover behind the seat. Air conditioning and heater has worked quickly and efficiently. Also, I have a lot of people ask about it. I thought in getting rid of my beetle I would loose the little fun moments seeing other people with beetles and exchanging peace signs. When you see other Baja owners it's hilarious, I was chanced down in ways in a parking lot by a fellow subaru owner and had such a wonderful conversation about subarus. Subaru has defiantly earned their reputation and there is a reason they advertise Subaru Love, along with reliability there is community. And if I could I would buy a second Baja as a back up. It's that good.

Just a FUN truck?

by from Northern MI on March 23, 2013

Bought my Baja with 80,000 miles. Went through and changed all of the fluids just to be safe. I'm amazed at where this thing will go. I have an Outback also and it's nice when you have something a bit too big (or dirty) to put in the Outback. The "switchback" door allows me to haul 8 ft. lumber. I've got the Ozz Bros toneau cover and want a bed extender. I like the looks and versitility the Baja offers. Wish they would start making them again.

Fun little car, big gas appetite!

by from Syracuse, N.Y. on November 6, 2013

Great fun car/truck to drive, but the gas sure goes quick! Didn't give full thought to the "all wheel drive". But sure am looking forward to the winter roads!

cool car

by from Bath Maine on January 17, 2014

roomy interior is essential. drives smooth. good handling. fun to drive. could use some more storage for my knickknacks.

2003 Subaru Baja Sport (Turbo)

by from Fort Myers, FL on May 28, 2014

I have had a man crush on this vehicle for 5 years now. The problem was the cost. Used Bajas are still going for over 8k with 200k miles on them, but that just shows how great these vehicles are. I found one in Virginia with 200k miles for a little over 4 grand so I decided I would buy it. Rebuilt the entire engine, transmission, and even turbo'd this truck for under 6k. Vehicle had no issues when I bought it and the only issue it has now is that it causes me speeding tickets from a naturally lead foot problem, but overall this truck is phenomenal. Rides smooth. Even when I bought it used the only problem the truck had was the rust on the stock rotors, and the cruise control had disconnected. Overall if you are looking for a pickup truck with great gas milage, room for 4, and great performance than you have found it here. This truck lasts forever and repairs are cheap and quick.

never a problem--aside from regular maintenance!!

by from N Lakewood, WA on November 29, 2016

This is the 7th Subie, and this one is the best!! the "6" is smooth and handles mountains with aplomb!

Our Expert Review: 2003 Subaru Baja