2008 SX4

2008 Suzuki SX4

2008 Suzuki SX4

Have You Driven the 2008 Suzuki SX4?

Great car, Great price. Subaru watch out!

by RDPejsa from Golden Colorado on Sun Oct 04 2009

This is a great little car. I owned an Aerio AWD and had a list of things I would have done differently. The SX4 addressed almost everything on the list. Still the same old thing with the brakes and the factory tires. I replaced both with upgrades that were worth every penny. I lived at 9000 feet in the Rockies when I got this car and had a 40 mile one way commute. Winter was no excuse to miss work, this car made it easy. They say traction control is all about the software, and whoever wrote the code for this system did it right. The AWD lock setting is truly better than a snow shovel and chains. (Well, maybe not, but sure a lot easier.) It easily handled snow situations that stopped the Aerio in its tracks. I have driven this car around the mountains on fire breaks and logging trails and it can handle anything up to the limits of its ground clearance. I am also surprised at its ability to handle steep dirt inclines that a lot of people would say are Wrangler only territory. Good C.G. for working transverse slopes. No feeling of being about to roll. I have the rear seats folded flat most of the time and that makes the interior seem larger than the outside of the car would let you think. You can fit a lot of stuff back there. Driving mountain roads, a lot of them dirt, I am in the high 20?s for mileage. Good enough, and close to what I expected. The ?distance to empty? setting on the information system is accurate but I suspect the instantaneous fuel economy setting is using guesswork. The XL-7 has a pretty slick auto-stick transmission that would really be cool in this car. Overall I would say this car beats out my former favorite dirt road blaster, the Subaru XT-6. In my vehicle selection phase I found nothing close in features and equipment within $3000, price wise. I have gone so far as to insist several friends with similar driving needs buy this car. So far everyone is happy. One problem with Suzuki on a huge warranty claim from someone I know but that seems to be the exception not the rule. The roadside assistance is nice. Buy an extended warranty that includes rental coverage, Suzuki seems to build a lot of cars and not a lot of replacement parts. Never had what I need be any closer than some warehouse in California. Even minor issues take overnight to find parts. If this one was murdered or stolen today, I would replace it with the same exact car.

good, so far

by previous Subaru owner from PA from Pennsylvania on Thu Jan 13 2011

I am a previous Subaru owner. I bought my SX4 AWD used cause I needed a different car and the price was within my price range. So far, I am satisfied with it. I just had an opportunity to try it out in the snow and for a little car it does pretty well in the snow in AWD or 4WD. Positive points: 1/Pretty roomy in the front for a smaller car. 2/I like the fact that you can choose between 2WD, AWD or 4WD. I think the 2WD tends to save on gas in nice weather. 3/I like the safety features..airbags. 4/ The sound system is pretty good. 5/ It handles nicely and has an ample amount of acceleration for a little car. Negative points: /It is too low...not enough ground clearance. I drag when coming up my lane in a few inches of snow. 2/The gas tank only holds 10 gallons...wish it held more. 3/ The lights on the controls need to be a different color...when wearing sunglasses you cannot see the numbers (ex. clock, temp. etc.) 4/Not much leg room in the back seat if the people in the front need leg room (but, that's to be expected in a small car) 5/ I thought the mileage would be better.. about 26mpg...but I do live in the mountains of PA! 6/ I am NOT real impressed with the quality of the paint..the pain scratches easily 7/ mine did NOT have mudflaps and the gravel from the road chips the paint easily..I invested in mudflaps immediately. All in all, the car is ok...I would probably buy it again, but I have not had it that long...just 6 months. So far, I'm fairly happy with it, guess time will tell.

Honestly impressed

by Flatland Frank from Oklahoma City, OK on Sun Oct 25 2009

I purchased my vivid red 2008 SX4 on June 24, 2009. So far this has been one of the best auto purchases that I have made. I was very hesitant about purchasing a Suzuki (had never owned one, didn't know much about them). I normally own large luxury cars. I was helping a friend research another small car model when I discovered the SX4, and I was so imressed, I went to test drive one, and ended up buying it! One suggestion to make an easy dress up on this car.....buy contrasting pin striping at an auto store and put it on yourself. My SX4 is vivid red, and I purchased metalic silver pin striping tape and applied myself....could not believe the difference!

Great little car!

by SX4 owner from Woodstock, NY on Wed Apr 15 2009

I went from a Land Rover to the SX4, so the improvement in gas mileage alone (and supreme to regular grade) was a joy. I have no problem with the performance, and the handling is great. There is lots of room in the back. I took the back seat out and I can easily carry three english mastiffs in the back. That's almost 500 lbs of dog! The AWD is great in the snow, and the sound system, with subwoofer under the driver seat, is very nice. The only thing I wish it had is the option of a sunroof. All in all, a great car for the money.

Suzuki SX4 Crossover AWD

by GreggVW from Wisconsin on Thu Apr 28 2011

I've had this car three years now. It was inexpensive, even though it has has two range AWD, keyless go, climate control, 180 watt stereo with subwoofer and six CD changer. The mileage has increased over the years...currently I get about 31 mpg. It has ranged from 24 to 34...not bad for AWD. It handles like a go-kart. Wishes: that it had a bigger gas tank (range is only 300 miles or so), Bluetooth, and a bit quieter interior. To its credit, nothing has gone wrong with it and nothing has needed adjustment.

Solid Car With Nice Pep

by StormShadow from Chicago, IL on Sun Oct 04 2009

I was not in the market for a Suzuki when I ended up buying the 2008 SX4 sedan. I was looking at Ford Focus, Chevy Cobalt, and Hyundai Accent. This turned out to be a great bargain (0% financing) plus a good warranty. The car drives great, with a zipy 143 horsepower engine. It feels a lot roomier than most compact sedans, though, and the interior looks nice and modern. The stereo produces better sound than most factory units wit its component speakers. Overall, I have had no problems with this, and it works great for local or highway driving. Note that this car is one year old and has about 10k miles.

Love Our SX4

by Dan from Liverpool, NY on Mon Oct 11 2010

We purchased our SX4 when gas prices approached $4.00/gal (we traded a full size Blazer). It's been almost two and half years and we still love it.

Nice little AWD

by pidjones from East TN on Fri Jul 29 2011

I consider it a good purchase - fairly good mileage (~ 25 mpg average so far), fair performance, GREAT ride quality and very quiet for such a small vehicle. I have not needed AWD for snow yet, but going up steep gravel drives it does well with no slippage. Convenient layout of the interior permits laydown of rear seats for carrying a lot of luggage to the beach (really loaded her down) and putting a friends rolling walker in the trunk to take her to church. Wife appreciates the comfort and quiet. Carries rear seat passengers with surprisingly good leg room. I like the sound system, and added an iPod adapter for a great selection of tunes. Cruise control does not keep up with hills and over compensates at the crests to put you 5-10 mph over setpoint after lagging 5-10 under. The throttle-by-wire makes it hard to assist the cruise unit as you can in other vehicles. Maintains speed well on level roads, but I live in the mountains, so I end up using cruise a lot less than I have in my other vehicles, including other small engine vehicles like my Ford ZX2. Overall though, a pleasing little car that I hope to keep for many, many years.

This car is fantastic

by Just telling it like it is from Jacksonville, Fl on Sat Aug 18 2012

If you can get your hands on a Suzuki SX4 buy it. I LOVE this car. It has headroom like nobody's business. I bought the sedan but I still had roof racks put on and this thing will carry two kayaks and a canoe. It gets good gas mileage, and it's rare to see them on the road, which is nice. I smile everytime I look at mine. It has lot of pep for a 4 cyclinder, Mine is a beautiful blue metallic color. It actually was in a big accident when I first got it (My husband ran into the back of a truck) and the car was bashed in BUT we didn't get hurt AND this poor car even made it home. So it's safe, it's comfortable, and if you are like me and don't want your car to own you, this is the one to get. I've had Nissans and Toyotas before, and I'd pick my car over them every time.

First New Car

by College Grad from Dayton, OH on Sat Nov 22 2008

I bought the SX4 Sport Touring Pkg 1 and I should have waited until I could get a Touring Pkg 2. The Pkg 1 isn't available anymore, which is good for new buyers, but if you are buying used, be aware that the Pkg 1 doesn't have Stability Control or Traction control. The car gets much better gas mileage than I expected. I get an average of 31.5 (according to the computer, which is pretty accurate). I have a manual transmission, and the clutch is light and its easy to stall if you aren't paying attention. The gear shift linkage is a little loose after some use, which is barely noticeable. Hopefully the dealer will replace whatever wore out so easily. One thing I like about the car is if you get synthetic oil (recommended) it can go 7,500 miles between oil changes. The maintenance on this car is very affordable. One thing I don't like is that the rear seats don't fold down for trunk access. The trunk is very large and easy to use, but a pass-through would have been nice. Overall, the SX4 is the best car for the money because you get a great warranty, lots of space, good gas mileage, and best of all it's fun to drive. If I had to go back, I would buy the SX4, but I would have gotten the Touring Pkg 2.

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2008 Suzuki SX4

Just like the annoying kid from high school who did every extra credit assignment possible, cars can be overachievers, too. That's the case with the SX4 Sport (the overachieving part, mind you, not the annoying one). It's a new front-wheel-drive compact sedan that's related to Suzuki's all-wheel-drive SX4 Crossover hatchback, and its combination of value and sportiness make it an attractive entry in the crowded small-car segment.

Distinctive Looks
From the B-pillar forward, the SX4 Sport is a dead ringer for the SX4 Crossover hatchback that Suzuki launched last year. It features the same stylishly assertive face with creased bodywork. It's a likable look and one that's appropriate for a car with sporty... Read More