2008 4Runner

2008 Toyota 4Runner

2008 Toyota 4Runner

Have You Driven the 2008 Toyota 4Runner?

A Truly Great All-Round Performer

by Car Scrooge from Northern VA on Sat Feb 14 2009

My car just rolled over t0 203,000 miles. I bought this Toyota (US made in Kentucky) as a new car in Virginia and it has been driven all over the US and Europe, too. As a basic DX model, it came with just the features I wanted (pwr doors/windows, AC, AM-FM, rear defroster, front discs, etc.). Always started, never left me stranded. Like other reviewers, I still get 30+ mpg (slightly less in winter). Recommend Yokohama Avid Touring tires. Repair parts are plentiful from non-dealer stores. Wish they still made a car like this, without a lot of frills that I will never use.

Love my 4-Runner !!!

by Busy Mom from Portland, Oregon on Thu Nov 13 2014

I absolutely LOVE my Toyota 4 Runner. I purchased my 2008 in the year 2009 from a local Toyota dealership as a certified used car. Since having this vehicle I have had to do no repairs except regular oil maintenance and purchasing new all weather tires (a want not necessity). This rig is excellent for carting my family of 4 around town, to the coast or over the mountains. I feel very comfortable driving this vehicle in snow and ice, handles the road great. We have a roof rack and utilize a sky box for large trips that include our family dog, cribs, strollers, etc. It also tows small trailers, bike racks. This car has been well loved but is made with such quality materials inside that it still shines up and looks as new as the day we bought it. If I had to have one complaint it would be that fitting two large car seats in the back leaves minimal space in the middle seat for a passenger. Because of this we are moving up to a Sequoia when we add a third child to our family. Great car, love everything about it, and so reliable!

Best vehicle I've ever owned!

by Pug Runner from North Bend, OR on Wed Dec 08 2010

Love it, love it, love it! I purchased it used with 26,000 miles on it and it still feels and looks like a new vehicle. I bought the V8 Sport Edition with the towing package and the 6 disc changer with 10 speaker JBL audio system. My friends and family are all envious! They think it's a brand new vehicle and they're shocked when I tell them it's two years old. I love the way it drives, rides and handles. The interior is top notch. The one little thing that is awkward is the placement of the window switches below the armrest. Their placment seems a little low but when I mentioned it to a friend she pointed out that their placement was engineered so that if you have pets riding in your vehicle and hanging ten they won't be pushing the window switches. Makes perfect sense now! I will never own anything but a Toyota!

best 30k i've ever spent

by iluvit from sprinfield vt on Sun Aug 10 2008

We own a 2004 sport edition 4runner. At 40k we replced the tires which were not the greatest to begin w/. We just put new brakes all the way around it AT 80K!!(and the back ones were fine, i just figured 80k is a lot of miles lets change them.) This cost about $750 WHICH I REALLY CANT COPLAIN. The brakes and a heat sheild on the exhaust are the only problems I've had in almost five years! I'll take that to the bank. If you are looking for a great suv this is probably the cheapest vehicle to own available to you. And it's really nice. Buy one I'm gonna buy another and give this to my kid! This truck is amazing in the snow as well. We get a lot of snow where we live and I feel a lot better knowing that my kids are in this truck. My pickup truck (4x4) is nowhere near as capable in snow or even mud for that matter. I swear this thing will climb trees!!!!!!!

Our Workhorse

by Mountain Lover from Blue Ridge Mountains, VA on Sun Sep 22 2013

Live in the mountains and need 4WD in winter, hauling trees out of woods, drag-raking 1/2-mile long driveway, hauling log-splitter and trailer. While other cars, we had, died after 100,000 miles our original 1997 4-runner just kept on running.

Best and most practical car to own!

by Breck from Dallas TX on Sat Aug 16 2008

I've had 6 toyota/Lexus cars and two of the 4Runners. The 2003 facelift was solid by Toyota. They replaced the faulty front cup holders that shook too much and blocked dashboard airflow. The storage has been widened in the back. The V8 is very peppy and yet economical. Lastly, the chassis change was smart going from my 98' lmtd to the 03' Lmtd. I ran my first 4Runner to 150k w/o any problems.

2008 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD

by Contender 7MMTCU from Tennessee on Thu Mar 21 2013

The car looked like the pictures. The floor mats were missing but they let me get others from another vehicle. I didn't notice but the cup holder (in front of the shifter) was missing. $100 to replace it. I got a fair deal but had to fly to New York to get it. Did not have much luck getting a carrier to bring it to Tennessee. I would not deal with Plaza Auto Mall, Brooklyn. Took 3 hours just getting papers ready (lost original ones) & a drive out tag. When getting the title change, they had not signed in the correct place. Had to get affidavit filled out and noterized so I could sign it. The clerk at the county court clerk office had to walk them through it. Very nice people though.

2008 Toyota 4Runner Sport V8

by r1moore from Houston, TX on Sat Apr 15 2017

I've had many Toyota's', Lexus', BMW's', even a few Ford's and a Chevy and the 2008 4Runner is the most reliable car I've ever owned. It currently has 164,000 miles on it (all of them my miles) and it would easily go another 200,000 without much need of anything. I've only noticed two very slight drawbacks, one is the XREAS system in that if (well when really) it develops a leak in one shock the entire system has to be replaced because there is no authorized refill procedure for the oil in the lines and air in the system is just dangerous. The other slight drawback has two parts both related to the engine. Don't get me wrong, the engine is bulletproof as long as it remains unmodified but for a V8 is is a little light on horsepower at 235. The other part of the engine drawback is with the exhaust manifolds. Because of the relative small space in the engine compartment the manifold ports had to be designed to have very quick bends off the block plate and this causes stress cracking at the welds. No big deal and no reduction in HP but under heavy load it will have a "ticking" noise come from the engine compartment. All told, I'd buy another any day.

My fourth 4 runner! All I will ever buy!

by Glitter from Saint George,Maine on Sat May 26 2018

These vehicles are wonderful and,since I have a very steep dirt driveway,I really need reliable,easy to use,true 4 wheel drive! Only vehicle that can tackle my driveway in the winter...I live in Maine.

Best Car I've Ever Owned

by Zeus from Marion, MA on Sat Nov 16 2013

I like it when I bought it with 25,000 miles on he odometer. Now at 100,000 miles I love it. My 4 Runner looks sleek, runs perfectly and has never been anything but reliable. My next car will be another 4 Runner.

Our Take on the 2008 Toyota 4Runner

4Runner is a Tough-Looking SUV That Can Handle the Kids, Too

Overview

The 2008 Toyota 4Runner is a seriously cool truck. It’s a testosterone-loaded, V-8, 4×4 super truck that just happens to work pretty darn well as a kid-hauler. Just because something can tow 7,300 pounds doesn’t mean it can handle my boys, but this SUV wrangles both with authority. And as an added bonus, it makes Mom look tough.

Living with the 4Runner is kind of a power trip. Stepping on the gas produces a muted growl and powerful launch; it’s not super quiet, but it’s not obnoxiously loud either. The V-8 engine handles hills without a hitch and hauls more than I would ever care to load into an SUV... Read More