1999 Corolla

1999 Toyota Corolla

1999 Toyota Corolla

Have You Driven the 1999 Toyota Corolla?

Pretty good car

by mav from Southern California on Sat Nov 22 2008

I've had this 1999 Corolla CE for a few months now. It was inexpensive to buy and insure. No maintenance costs so far. It provides a comfortable ride and is less punishing on my spine than my old Civic. Performance is in line with its 120 horses, which is to say it is adequate but far from powerful. It corners without much drama and comes to a stop from speed fairly quickly. The interior is small, especially for the rear-seat passengers where there is hardly any useful legroom. Controls are simple and placed logically. Trunk space is bigger than expected for a car in this class. Fuel economy has generally been great. Never sat down and calculated it, but I'm at the gas station so infrequently now and filling the 13 gallon tank is not expensive. I've done rough math in my head and figure to be getting 30 mpg at a minimum in mixed driving. It's a nice little car. Recommended.

Best car Ive had

by ToYota from Columbus,OH on Sun Jan 31 2010

Bought mine with 130 miles and it now has 210K and still runs like the day i got it. Unfortuneately we have moved to the country and we have hit 4 deer but car was very protective and easily repaired with no permanant damage.

I've been looking for a car like this for 40 years

by frugalista from Porter, Tx on Mon Feb 18 2013

I recently (Oct 2012) bought this car used. When I first starting looking for a reliable, no frills car back in the early 70's, I looked at Corollas but couldn't afford one as a college student. Now I finally found a good 1999 model with only 55,000 miles. If it lasts as long as I hear the Corollas will last, I will be dead before it wears out. Being 13 years old, the car has some interior and exterior cosmetic problems but it is very reliable transportation for getting to work. It has a more comfortable ride than my mom's 2009 Honda Fit. With the manual transmission, I get 35 - 37 mpg in mixed driving. It has adequate power for entering traffic and passing. I would strongly recommend this car to anyone needing basic, reliable, no frills transportation.

1999 Corolla

by Jay from on Sun Mar 29 2009

Very reliable small car. Fuel efficient and easy to work on. Easy to find parts and they are pretty cheap. Rides smooth on the city streets and on the highway.

Most Reliable Car Ever

by Corolla Owner from NJ on Fri Jan 03 2014

My 99 has 325K and still going strong. My first spark plug change was at 230K and it finally started sipping oil...about 1qt per 1K. Only work I've done to the car was a valve cover gasket, spark plugs, plug leads, and a cat. Oil change every 3K. I'm averaging 33mpg and I'll drive it till it completely dies. Unfortunately, I've driven the new, '13 and '14, Corollas and they don't seem to stack up. Granted they're new, but I get the feeling that they simply won't last as long as my '99. Sadly I may have to change to a Sentra for my next car. If you can get one of these with 150K or less, go for it, I don't think you could kill this car with anything less than a bulldozer..

Really good car

by High schooler from Reno NV on Wed Dec 05 2012

This is my first car I have a LE 4cyl Auto and its a great car. I'm 5'7" and I drive with the seat all the way back however it isn't extremely small except for the back seat. Mine has 153K miles and is still running well they are good cars reliable not powerful but gets to 70-75 easily stereo is good good fuel economy I get about 31 mpg

Review from Anu

by Anu from Chicago on Thu May 18 2006

Tayota Caorolla is a excellent vehicle. It is my first car and i have full satisfaction using it. I would deffinitely recomend to my friends. My friends, who are using it also have the same feeling. It is a proven model from a proven company and good to go for long drives for a sweet cute family.

very very very relaible

by amazing car from nj on Sat Sep 12 2009

This car is AMAZING, very reliable. with 152,500 miles the car is almost new, starts EVERY time no problem at all. The ride is a little harsh but good, and good gas mileage. its a good small car

Honda Eater

by TacoFan from Columbus, Ohio on Thu Jul 13 2017

You know you always hear about the Civic SI of the same generation, and about how Honda in that time was the car to have due to the upgrade, and tuner community.. This is true, but the ultimate sleeper was the 98-02 corolla... These cars in VVTI trim had 125hp, and weighed less than the comparable civic, they also made more torque, and with a 5 speed would stay with a B16a2 civic SI from the same generation all day long.. This car was purchased new by me, when i was 18, it was my first new car.. It later turned into my track day car, and took a different form, but when it was a daily driver it was excellent on fuel, never broke, constantly driven hard, and ultimately was a dependable car.. Once I purchased a new car, i ended up taking this off the road, pulling the engine, and swapping a 2zzge out of a celica GTS, and a 6speed manual.. The car was then gutted, down to two racing seats and a "performance" can exhaust, Honda GSR wheels were added, and a full suspension kit.. at which point the car was an absolute animal to drive.. These cars are Very cheap today, and being that before the Racecar transformation the car went 413K miles without needing anything, and then did another 50K miles on the new modifications before i sold it, with no rust, no rattles, no issues at all.. it was a fantastic.. amazing car.. It is highly recommended for whatever you want it to do.

bulletproof car good for 200,000. miles

by toyoman wis from toyoman wis on Sat Apr 14 2018

great car somewhat cheap plastic interior parts but just keeps running and running and running. Bought a 1999 corolla for my son used when he was 16 and hes still driving it at age 24

1 2 3 4