2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid consumer reviews

Explore the 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Shop the 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
4.3

High quality

This is our first hybrid and since Toyota has been in the hybrid business since the late 90's we decided to buy the 2006 Highlander Hybrid. This is a very well rated vehicle and the one we found is a one owner, always garaged nearly like new SUV with over 160,000 miles. I plan on using it as an Uber vehicle and will likely drive it over 80,000 miles in the next 2 years. Ask me in two years how it does.

164896 miles and still rolling along just fine

we have had our hybrid highlander for nearly 11 years and it is working great. We get an average of just over 26 MPG. Only major repair was covered under the toyota warranty early on -- the inverter needed to be replaced. Other than that, it hasn't had anything other than scheduled maintenance. Now for the issues: The AC blows hot sometimes (just need to adjust the temp control and it is fine), the radio volume control is erratic (need to play with it to get the volume you want), the driver's arm rest cushion is totally flat (I sewed a pillow on top of it), the paint is starting to look like it is ten years old (well, I am starting to look like I am 70). And, you already know this, seats 6 and seven are really small.

4.4

It is too early to determine reliability.

This is our first hybrid and it has 165000 mile on it. While it is in excellent condition and appears to be well maintained only time will tell how ling it will last. Our goal is to reach 300,000 mile.

Expensive but feels luxurious to drive

Four stars on interior design was for the strange cup holders. Value for Money four stars because it is an expensive car when new, of course, and even for several years after purchase. The mpg is not really great, but certainly better than a comparable 6 cylinder SUV that is not a hybrid. It has a third seat which is great for family outings.

10 Years old and like new

The best thing about cars like a Highlander is they are almost always well taken care of and seldom abused. At 10 years and 148,000 miles this car runs beautifully and is solid as a rock. I think I'll keep it.

Love it!

Just recently purchased the 2006 Limited (2 weeks ago), after looking at them and contemplating buying one for over a year. I paid a little less than $15k for a loaded model with just under 90k miles and one owner. I absolutely love driving it - a step up from the plush minivan that I had been driving. I got over 400 miles on my first tank of gas with mixed driving - an average of 27 mpg for November in WI. I like the way it looks, both inside and out. I am looking forward to taking it on a couple of long winter trips next month!

Awesome Highlander Hybrid

Bought it new in 2006 when it first came out. Never had any problem for six years now. Drove it in the snow a few times with great traction on a mountainous area of Washington state. Went on a long multi-state drive with ease & comfort. I love the acceleration, keeps up and faster than some sport sedans. MPG is in mid-low 20s but because I drive it like a sports car and still better MPG than any other AWD SUVs.

Love toyota

the 06 highlander was my first experince with the toyota brand. the best auto i every owned. gm ford jeep dodge have a long way to catch up. We now have a lexus and it is even better. Best investment I have every made in autos.

2006_HiHy_Great_MPG_Nice_Acceleration!

They say on the label that the Highlander Hybrid AWD is rated at 33/30, MPG. I am very pleased to be getting an average 27 MPG in a very hilly area. I tow a utility trailer on occasion and have a family of 6. We all fit, (Car seats included!) I can fit 7 adults with no trouble. When I am the only one in the vehicle, I can truly get the rated 0-60 in 7.1 seconds. I have no concerns about getting on the freeway, and the traction control keeps it tight to the road. Even in this wet North West climate, I don't slip. It is a 2-seater pickup, a 5-seat sedan, and a 7- seat SUV all in 1! I love this SUV.

exceded expectations

I reluctantly purchased this car new in 2006. When I say reluctantly it was because it is a hybrid blend and I wasn't sure what I was gettiny myself in to. It was a Toyato though and the dealership made me a heck of a deal to move the car as others buyers were having some of the same anxieties as I.A any rate I'm very glad I did purchase this car as it's the best car I've ever owned.It is fairly priced,great fuel milage,insurance affordable.almost maintenance free,uses 87oct,and has 255,000 and going strong.