2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid consumer reviews

Explore the 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Shop the 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
4.4

BEST CAR I've owned

I traded in my 2003 Cadillac Escalade ESV for this truck in 2008. That was the same year I had my fifth child. There are several things I love about this truck. THE GAS MILEAGE IS GREAT!!!!! I average 27.4 mpg around town where I averaged 15 mpg in the Caddy on the same routes. It has a great interior with a well laid out dash. Mine is loaded so we enjoy the DVD player, navigation, heated/power seats, leather, wood paneling, backup camera, power trunk, towing package and 19 inch alloys. My whole family fits in comfortably and it tows our jetskis, atvs and other equipment with ease. I do miss some of the extra space in the obviously larger Caddy but I would never go back. This truck is also great in the snow and we hook up the plow to it during the winter. When getting on the highway, it really can get up and go. It drives nicely and parks easily, almost like a car while the interior has tons of space. It can also handle mild off road/dirt roads with ease. This car is also very safe. I got hit by a Honda Pilot head on earlier this year and we suffered much less damage and no injuries. I am very confident that my 17 year old son is safe when borrowing my car. I recommend this car to anybody that is looking for a large car. My husband and I have five kids and a terrier and my family fits just fine so don't use the "I need space" excuse to go and buy an Escalade. I did and I really regretted it when money from my daughter's college fund started being withdrawn to pay for gas for the Caddy. Hope this review helped your vehicle search.

Happy with my choice

This is the car I wanted - an SUV for good road visibility, comfortable and good mileage. I looked at all the smaller SUVs, but they were all sort of boxy and not very comfortable, particularly for longer trips. Definitely wanted the "Limited" edition with nicer, leather seats and all the gadgets - it's very well equipped. Don't really care about the Nav system (have a better one on my smartphone), but love being able to open & lock doors and start the car without taking the key out of my pocket. And separate heating controls for passenger and rear seats. This car gets as good, if not better, mileage than the small SUVs and much, much nicer ride. A new one was too expensive for me, but got a good deal on this used one. Plus, got a comprehensive 4 yr/48K warranty, so not worried about any major problems in the near future. Truly getting 24-25mpg.

Very Satisfied

This car is just what I was looking for. It is roomy with enough seats to transport my family and has a large cargo space. The gas milage is very good for a Hybrid SUV. It is very comfortable and smooth on the highway. One minis is the "black holes" in between the front seats and the middle console, if you drop something good luck on getting it out.

Highlander Hybrid Limited

Good handling, great design, exceptional performance, Toyota excellene for paint, finish, interior. The MPG is about 23-4. If you are looking for performance in your SUV this is the vehicle. You really cannot buy it for high gas mileage. It has the best of both worlds . It seems like overkill to have 4 wheel drive. FWD would improve the mileage and performance.

my hybrid

for a vehicle that seats 7 comfortably, you can't beat the gas mileage. i dislike the nav system as it isn't as intuitive as the acura system my husband has, or the one that was in my old hunk-o-junk: the chrysler town and country....i believe it drives like a luxury suv with the economy of a compact. just wish the sirius/xm was standard-i bought my highlander used with all the other bells and whistles. i was told it was 'satellite radio ready' aka 'you have to buy the receiver at $500/pop'...that sucked. otherwise, i love it.

Save Money!!!

It is about time that a Suv with 7 seats can get a mpg average of 25. This thing is great and fun to drive!!! I am saving about 100 dollars a week! I had a Nissan Xterra loved it but is was to small and was a pig!

Great car

Has been everything I'd hoped it would be plus a little more. Has much better acceleration than I'd expected. I've been very pleased with the interior. My first Hybrid vehicle -- will definitely buy another. Only downside has been fussy audio controls.

Great Gas Saver

I am still impressed with the car just as much as 4 months ago when I bought it. Extremely quiet, just enough room for two kids and luggage. Very comfortable for road trips...took an 8-hour and a 7-hour with no complaints. Average 25-28 mpg...one of my favorite features! Good sound system with the base speaker. Wife loves the the auto lift gate, xm radio, and dvd system. Looked at many other mid-suvs out there and this one had the quietest ride and very good fit and finish. Bought 2 years old to save and benefit from the $15k in depreciation. You are not buying a hybrid to save money. I bought this one for the calm, quiet interior, lighter woodgrain, power, and overall joy to drive. Cons: Same as everyone else-should have memory driver's seat. Have to speak loudly to use bluetooth with the cell phone and person at the other end hears some background noise. Navigation is very useful but could have a more intuitive display like the volkswagen jetta. Have to stop the vehicle to enter a waypoint.

Best car Iv'e had

I love my car! It is completely loaded, nav, tv, leather and moonroof. I am a hockey mom of three so I need space. I also need safety good looks and high MPG. This car has great turning radius and pickup + plenty os space and stlye. I had a 2006 model and loved that too. I'm thinking about the 2010 model.

Two years with my Highlander Hybrid

I have developed a hybrid motor yacht, so I felt I should be driving a hybrid vehicle. Since I was coming out of a Mazda MPV, and since there were no hybrid mini-vans sold in the U.S., I was pretty much steered to the Highlander Hybrid. We needed the 7 passenger capability since we haul our dogs and grand kids a lot. For the first year of ownership, I was constantly surprised by the features - I seemed to discover new ones each week. This car is essentially a Lexus both styling, finish and comfort-wise - my wife had a Lexus and agrees. I'm 6'5", 220# and fit nicely in the drivers, passenger and middle row seats. I usually end up in the third row for our 4-hour drive to Disney from Miami since the girls like the middle and my wife and daughter like to chat in the front. It's OK for 4 hours, but a bit tough unwinding upon arrival. She's peppy, responds nicely, handles well, both for local and long distance driving (once per year Miami to CT and return). My son just traded in his Lexus SUV for the same high-end Highlander w/o the hybrid. Nice thing about the hybrid is the pickup with the added torque of the electric motors. Mileage is OK. Better than a pure gas SUV of this size, but nothing to brag about. I'd buy another today - I'm sure when it comes time to replace her, most likely I'll get the latest version.