2018 Prius Prime

2018 Toyota Prius Prime

2018 Toyota Prius Prime

Have You Driven the 2018 Toyota Prius Prime?

It's all about the gas savings !

by Blue Orca Owner from Shawnee, KS on Thu Jun 14 2018

I was looking for something that would provide stability in a world of topsy-turvy gas prices. I did the math on the 5 year savings for the Prius Prime, Chevy Volt, and Chevy Bolt. The sticker price on the two Chevy models was so much higher than the Prius Prime that the 5 years savings on gas actually ended being a net loss unless gas were to raise above $5 per gallon. The Prius Prime's lower price combined with the 25 mile range that would take care of most commutes and take a big chunk out of any trip longer than that came out with a big savings overall after 5 years. After further research I bit the bullet and purchased a new 2018 advanced trim model. The advantage with this car is you don't have to purchase an expensive home charging station. It was ready to charge as soon as I brought it home using what was provided with the car. Another bonus was that, although it claims to get 25 miles on the electric battery, it often gets better than that. 25 seems to be the minimum depending on climate, climate settings int he car, and how you drive. I have gotten as much as 32 miles on a perfect day before kicking in the gas motor. I have had this about 3 weeks and still have half of a tank that the dealer filled it up with. I drive about 400 miles a week. Depending on how far you travel etc it is common for people to go over 1 thousand miles or more on a single tank of gas . Charging it up at home takes about 5 hours. It takes about 2 hours to charge it at a level 2 charging station. The electricity cost where I live to charge it every night is about 50 cents per night. The cost here for the charging stations is about $1 to charge it up. That is the equivalent of a gallon of gas for $2 . When you are using the gas motor, the 50 mpg is also on the low side for what you are capable of getting. I would recommend the advanced trim model for the safety features and the incredible interior. It's a sharp looking car on the inside and out. It isn't much for pickup and go but that is the price you pay for this MPG. If you really need that it does have a power setting that will not get quite the mileage as normal. Features that I have found to be helpful : The radar controlled cruise control that adjusts speed when someone going slower than your set speed is in front of you, Blind Spot notification, Charging timer that lets you set it to charge overnight only when electricity is super cheap, The Entune app that lets me see where my car is - how much charge it has- turn on the AC or defrost/heat prior to getting to the car , 3 year free roadside emergency service, Driving training displays that show you exactly how to be a better driver for mpg and battery miles, the HUD on the advanced trim that shows you the current speed limit - Training tool- speed your going etc. Things you need to know ( cons): There is no spare tire so you will want to purchase one or get a repair kit, but the car does have low tire pressure warning systems, the AC takes a while to get to the people in the backseats on hot days, no sun roof to save weight and make it get better mileage, Only seats 4, I gave it 4 stars on reliability ONLY because I have only had this vehicle 3 weeks, this car will force you to change your driving habits and be a better driver whether you want it to or not ! It is also a source of great envy among my friends ! I now have zero gas cost anxiety. I have no idea what a gallon of gas costs right now.

Finally!!!

by Sandy from Florida on Wed Aug 08 2018

I have wanted a plug in Prius since I bought my first Prius in 2005. It was very difficult to find one to buy in the Southeast Region. There were 5 blue ones, 2 white ones and the red one that I bought. That's it for more states than there were cars available for purchase. I would have given my car 5 stars in every catalog, but there are 2 issues that prospective purchasers might want to consider. There is very little luggage space in the back of the car. I did not know this until I went to pick up my car because there were none available to look at within 130 miles of my home. Also, most dealers are charging list price and above; or, raising the "delivery, prep, other costs" that are thinly veiled profit margins. If you want the Prime, it is going to cost more than the deals we usually get as return customers. I think that it is worth it to have the car that I have wanted for so long. I know that it will run for as long as I will be driving. It is a super car in all ways; easy to charge; rapid acceleration for merging onto the Interstate; full of safety features to make driving less hazardous. Most of the Primes available will be the Advanced models and will come with all the safety features...and the higher price tag...

Excellent buy for economy driving with good space

by Chief Burks from US Army on Tue Jul 17 2018

First of all I love the gas mileage. While the car only seats four, it is a very comfortable ride for all. Reviews I had read regarding the appearance were negative, but I like the exterior look of the Prius Prime. The car handles well, has a nice turn radius, and the smart features (radar, cruise control, lane exit warning, etc) greatly assist the driver. I found it very useful on a long trip I took from Seattle to central California and back. Trunk space can be limited, but we fit all the luggage that four men/boys needed for a week and a half long trip. I had roof racks added for those trips where there may be more luggage than usual, and they are simple to use and were not expensive.

Great car!

by Bluto5 on Sat May 19 2018

Love it. Had it for one year. 33 miles on a charge. Charges fully in 2 hours. Takes about 8 gallons every 3000 miles. Drove to Disneyland and back from Dallas for $120, 64 mpg average. Filled up every 500 miles or so. Quiet, great stereo.

Fantastic car!

by Northerngirl1020 from Burlington, Ontario on Mon Jun 04 2018

Have had my hypersonic red prime for three weeks. Am getting over 47km on one charge and using no gas commuting to work. Smooth, handles well, comfortable seats. Passengers find the back seat area has lots of room and cup holder a positive feature. Stereo is great and I really like the HUD display. Huge 11.2 inch display with nav is easy to figure out. Lots of people approach me to ask about it.

I had a 2006 Prius which I loved, so got a new one

by beau & jojo from Lincoln, CA on Sun Oct 21 2018

It is great but I miss the all door key opener! It is cumbersome to have to go to the driver door to open all doors. Also, built in garage door opener is missing. Trunk is small so we won't be hauling as much cargo, but we are getting over 140 miles per gal, working our way up even higher. Console storage could open up instead of towards the driver, but this is a minor thing. Love it, even with minor loss of things I depended on.

Who cares about gas prices?

by Skipdr68 from Bend Oregon on Mon Jul 16 2018

Perfect for those short trips around town. Loaded with entertainment and safety features. Easy to park and comfortable to drive. Best of all little gasoline needed ( maybe even good for the environment!)

Cheap to operate but some problems encountered.

by Bob from Anamosa, Iowa on Mon Apr 16 2018

54 MPG on first tank without external charging. VSC won't turn on. Manual denotes 77 pages on just charging in nauseating detail. Manual appears to be written in Japanese for Japanese then translated to English by Japanese. Steering seems imprecise and handling difficult in crosswinds.

Love TACC and 110v charging

by winfield100 from CAPE CORAL on Fri Aug 10 2018

Nice car, needs an 80kW battery, not 8.8 and no gas engine and High voltage DC charging. peppy driving. Radar saved me from a deer strike as it braked, lane control OK except in hard rains. Wish I get a Tesla 3, but that's next. good first car or commuter car for 2-4 folks. It's a 2017 the dealer wanted to just get rid of off show room floor so i got 15% discount

Chev. Camaro

by Keith from Stanwood, WA on Sat Jun 23 2018

The car was just fine. However.... only able to seat a total of four people in the car. Having that removable center counsel stopped me cold. That is the only reason I did not purchase the prime.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2 3