NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
2018 Tacoma

2018 Toyota Tacoma

#6 Most Popular Truck
2018 Toyota Tacoma

Have You Driven the 2018 Toyota Tacoma?

Tacoma TRD Offroad - Back from Ford

by fourtyfourtyninetynine from Houston, TX on Wed Jun 13 2018

Snagged my 2018 TRD Offroad new about 1 month ago, so far, I couldn't be happier with it. This was bought to replace a 2013 Ford F150 FX4 EcoBoost that was starting to exhibit major problems (Built Ford Tough is just a marketing gimmick). I had test driven the Chevy/GMC Colorado/Canyon and found those to be mostly well rounded, but it's hard to argue with the value of a Tacoma. The most notable differences are, of course, size and power. That said, the space is workable, though tight if you're taller. Power is still more than enough to please, getting on the highway or passing isn't a problem. Another huge difference between the Tacoma and my previous F150 is the quality. The overall build feels sturdier, interior materials are better, gaps are tight and it generally feels like a much better built vehicle. Road noise is markedly quieter in the Tacoma, even with the moonroof option. Handling is about what you'd expect it to be. It's a pickup, not a Ferrari. Good amount of body roll, but not as much as it's competitors. The ride in comparison to the F150 it replaced is markedly smoother, especially on rough roads. The shorter wheelbase does show itself on the highway where you feel the road a little more, but it is in no way unpleasant. I would have opted for the long-bed, but those are hard to locate. Fuel economy is quite good given the fact it's still only mated to a 6-Speed where competitors are using 8-10 speed boxes. Travelling at 70MPH on the highway has so far given me 23-24mpg, which is higher than the EPA rating. City driving is around 18-19 which is still quite good in comparison to the EcoBoost it replaced (I typically got 13/18). It takes around 18 gallons to refill from empty with around a 400 mile range. The infotainment system is good by 2013 standards. It's a much better system than Sync in the F150, but it's lacking Carplay/Android auto and it requires the Entune App to be installed on the phone, however, communication is all through Bluetooth, which means that you can use the Qi charger and still have the smart functions. I did opt for the TRD Premium package which includes upgraded JBL speakers which provides more than ample sound quality. I am yet to test out the Off Road capabilities, but checking out others footage, it's a lot more capable than the F150 it replaced. As far as complaints, I only have a few. The drivers seating position is pretty poor. You do get used to it, but it's low slung with no height adjustment. The seat padding from the factory is very still, but I have found it start to soften over the last 1000 miles. It also seems like Toyota skimped on the gauge cluster shield again. I've already noticed the exact same issue as in my 2009 where the gauge cluster plexi-glass gets scratched easily. The last issue I've found is with the factory stereo occasionally dropping bluetooth audio, will be taking it to the dealer for that. Overall, this is my 4th Toyota Pickup, it was tough to trade from the F150, but with everything starting to break on the F150 at 90k miles, it was time to go back to something bulletproof. So far this is a fantastic pickup for my weekend warrior lifestyle and a capable commuter. Add in the superb resale value and I couldn't be happier.

2018 Tacomas = Truly Best in Class

by Inferno.Tac.Fan from Downers Grove on Sun Jun 17 2018

I was painfully on the fence between the Toyota Tacoma & the GMC Canyon. There's just no comparison - this rig drives so smooth and stylishly. It's a super honest truck - my wife feels very comfortable driving it. Interior, even though the GMC offered more options with a premium interior (leather, heated seats, Bose speakers, etc.) is so comfortable and sophisticated. The dashboard and controls are so much better in comparison to GM - stylish, smart, intuitive, cool - list goes on. If anyone is on the fence between these two products as I was, I hope this is helpful. The GM product is awesome - no doubt, great stuff. But this Tacoma is just a gem and cut above - I am so happy with it and HIGHLY recommend.

Under powered

by AustinA77 from San Antonio, TX on Fri Mar 01 2019

I’ve owned about 10 trucks over the last 20 years. Reason being is I drive a lot for my job. I bought a new 18 trd off-road 4x4 double cab. Truck has no low end power, must be around 2500 rpm to get going. Speed limit on highway where I live is 75, this truck will not stay in 6th gear on highway with cruise set. Constant downshift to 5th then 4th, and will stay in fourth. A moderate hill it will jump to third and it feels like the engine is going to blow up. My average fuel mileage hwy was 16.5 mpg. Never pulled even a light trailer with this truck because it has a hard time maintaining speed empty. Front bumper is all plastic, not good if you live in an area with lots of deer. Traded in after 6 months on a F150 4x4 EcoBoost. WAY MORE POWER. Avg 19.5 hwy, rides better, Ford has big rebates so price of truck was about the same. Only good thing I can say about Tacoma is it holds its value well. I was given 32k trade so I only lost about 3k depreciation. The constant downshifting on interstate drove me crazy and thus is the reason I traded. It’s not the gears, a TRD has 3:92 gears, my F150 has 3:31.

My 3rd Toyota Tacoma since 2007 and 1st limited.

by Jman from Cleveland Ohio on Sat Jan 19 2019

Overall it has all the whistles and bells. I would rate the truck with 4 stars. I purchase Tacoma's specifically for reliability and resale value which is outstanding. Have only 2 issues with the 2018. Transmission can never decide what gear it wants to be in and that usually takes place on the highway. When getting on a highway or passing or keeping up with traffic flow the rpm's wind out at 3-3.5 and hang there until I hit the gas pedal again or start to slow down. A bit annoying as well as the pre-collision crash sensor emblem on the front that turns itself off when its either misting or gets slush/snow splashed on it. That is kinda when you need. The Dealer has no answers for either at this time.

SR5 Doubble Cab

by The Governor Of The Gorge from NJ on Wed Mar 06 2019

I fly fish a lot so I don't 4 wheel at all and can pick the days and I can choose the weather to drive in yeah its awesomeness! Dirt and gravel roads sometimes and this 2018 SR5 was loaded with many standard features you pay extra for with other manufacturers midsize trucks. The ride is like driving a Camry smooth as glass. I hear some complaint about the automatic and its searching for gears! Here is what you do, tape the battery terminals together for 30 minutes it will reset everything then drive it as you stole it. Best truck in its class the others are just glorified garbage trust me on that! Buy one you won't be disappointed!

2.7 with 6 speed automatic is a mistake.

by Shunwell from Chandler AZ on Wed Oct 17 2018

The 2.7 mated with the 6 speed automatic just doesn’t work. With the A/C on the truck never stops bouncing between gears, won’t get out of its own way and won’t break 20mpg regardless of how gentle you drive. Without the A/C on it’s at least tolerable. As a tall man (6’4’) the huge camera/Rear view mirror blocks my visibility and the seat feels much like a park bench. The ’safety’ items are ALL things I don’t want/use and would preferred to have not paid for. For the price however, it was the best option for me.

very well built vehicle

by pa deer hunter from Frackville Pa on Wed Dec 19 2018

good vehicle a few things that I would change, put 4x4 control in a different area not next to blower motor control with the same knob, also 6 speed auto trans does to much searching in hills of Pa, also more seat to roof height for entry if your a big guy 6'2 285lbs

Great truck

by Kevin Tacoma from Lititz, PA on Thu Oct 31 2019

Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Sport is a great truck. I am happy that I purchased the 4-door model. I enjoy using it for projects around the house or for my business.

Bought it for its reliability

by Jeff from Georgia on Wed Aug 28 2019

It is a truck, rides like one as well, Toyota could make some minor changes that would make major differences. Have a bell ring or put in automatic sensors turn turn head lights off and on. If you forget to turn lights off you will have a dead battery. It is a 2017 Tacoma not a 2003. Seats could be more comfortable as well, back seat is for short people short distance as well. Front seats have a lumbar in it and regardless how you adjust it, its noticable. Gas milage on average 22.5 MPG if they would make it an 8 speed transmission gas mileage would increase. I had a 2003 GMC Sonoma with 216,000 miles, I got tired of working on it daily have a Silverado prior, upset GMC is closing all plants in USA figured if I am buying foreign why not but a reliable vehicle that will last for 10 yrs. I have no regrets its well a made vehicle that runs great, has acceleration when entering a highway nice sound system

Awesome truck for BC but calibration sucks

by Nathan V. from Kelowna, BC, Canada on Thu Oct 25 2018

I absolutely love this truck. Fuel economy isn't the most amazing at an average of 13.5 l/100km but it was expected for a truck. My biggest issue is that whoever did the calibration for the automatic transmission and the calibration for the engine didn't do a very good job. There are obvious torque shelves which cause the truck to surge while rising in the RPM range. The transmission calibration does not help with this issue. They did not test for cold start operation which causes the truck to feel jerky on shifts and sluggish. Interior is nice and the nav/ multimedia screen is easy enough to see even in direct sunlight. Took the truck on a 5000km drive and found it fairly comfortable other than the weird patterning on the door cushions which feel like sandpaper after a while.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 25