2018 Tacoma

4.8 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.9 out of 5 starsValue for the Money

Tacoma TRD Offroad - Back from Ford

by fourtyfourtyninetynine from Houston, TX on June 13, 2018

Snagged my 2018 TRD Offroad new about 1 month ago, so far, I couldn't be happier with it. This was bought to replace a 2013 Ford F150 FX4 EcoBoost that was starting to exhibit major problems (Built Ford Tough is just a marketing gimmick). I had test driven the Chevy/GMC Colorado/Canyon and found those to be mostly well rounded, but it's hard to argue with the value of a Tacoma. The most notable differences are, of course, size and power. That said, the space is workable, though tight if you're taller. Power is still more than enough to please, getting on the highway or passing isn't a problem. Another huge difference between the Tacoma and my previous F150 is the quality. The overall build feels sturdier, interior materials are better, gaps are tight and it generally feels like a much better built vehicle. Road noise is markedly quieter in the Tacoma, even with the moonroof option. Handling is about what you'd expect it to be. It's a pickup, not a Ferrari. Good amount of body roll, but not as much as it's competitors. The ride in comparison to the F150 it replaced is markedly smoother, especially on rough roads. The shorter wheelbase does show itself on the highway where you feel the road a little more, but it is in no way unpleasant. I would have opted for the long-bed, but those are hard to locate. Fuel economy is quite good given the fact it's still only mated to a 6-Speed where competitors are using 8-10 speed boxes. Travelling at 70MPH on the highway has so far given me 23-24mpg, which is higher than the EPA rating. City driving is around 18-19 which is still quite good in comparison to the EcoBoost it replaced (I typically got 13/18). It takes around 18 gallons to refill from empty with around a 400 mile range. The infotainment system is good by 2013 standards. It's a much better system than Sync in the F150, but it's lacking Carplay/Android auto and it requires the Entune App to be installed on the phone, however, communication is all through Bluetooth, which means that you can use the Qi charger and still have the smart functions. I did opt for the TRD Premium package which includes upgraded JBL speakers which provides more than ample sound quality. I am yet to test out the Off Road capabilities, but checking out others footage, it's a lot more capable than the F150 it replaced. As far as complaints, I only have a few. The drivers seating position is pretty poor. You do get used to it, but it's low slung with no height adjustment. The seat padding from the factory is very still, but I have found it start to soften over the last 1000 miles. It also seems like Toyota skimped on the gauge cluster shield again. I've already noticed the exact same issue as in my 2009 where the gauge cluster plexi-glass gets scratched easily. The last issue I've found is with the factory stereo occasionally dropping bluetooth audio, will be taking it to the dealer for that. Overall, this is my 4th Toyota Pickup, it was tough to trade from the F150, but with everything starting to break on the F150 at 90k miles, it was time to go back to something bulletproof. So far this is a fantastic pickup for my weekend warrior lifestyle and a capable commuter. Add in the superb resale value and I couldn't be happier.

Love my New Toyota Tacoma

by Toyota baby from Aberdeen,SD on March 28, 2018

This truck is everything I was looking for in a vehicle. It is such a smooth ride and it looks awesome going down the street.

Tacoma 4x4 Off road

by Shawnd43 from Stafford Va on April 17, 2018

Vehicle is small for anyone over 5’11”, the newer 3.5L engine is slightly under powered compared to a comparable pickup however, the truck drives very economically between 55-65 mph, lots of options, very user friendly, very capable off-road, the off road features are for the more serious wheelers and are probably a waste for those of you that just want a great small 4x4 truck because the standard 4 wheel drive is very capable by itself.

The Toyota Tacoma Sport is classy

by Peter from Citrus Heights, CA on May 12, 2018

This is the perfect truck for us. It is extremely useful but has lots of bells and whistles so it is comfortable and can carry 5 adults comfortable. The Tacoma TRD Sport with the premium packages has all the features you could want but is a work truck as well. Our last Tacoma was trouble free and had a great resale value. We expect the same of our new Tacoma.

Best driving truck I?ve ever owned

by Rob from Wilsonville, OR on May 5, 2018

The truck drives and handles more like an SUV or car. Quiet, comfortable, and smooth ride. Pulls my camper with ease. Fun truck to drive and extremely functional.

Good looking with all the bells and whistles!

by Noah from Kansas City, MO on June 8, 2018

I am really enjoying this vehicle. It drives and handles well, but getting used to some of the safety options takes patience. So far I have learned to turn off the lane change alarm option for most of my in town driving. On the highway, I couldn't understand why the cruise control wasn't holding the selected speed. Found out that it sees vehicles ahead in my lane and automatically slows to their speed. I wonder how heavy rain or snow will effect this?

Toyota Tacoma

by Dirtman from Birmingham Alabama on May 13, 2018

Well built drives well but the trans needs better shift points or instead of 3.91 great ratio it should be 4.30 all the rest of the truck 5 star.

2018 Tacoma

by Brian from Chicago on February 15, 2018

I've been very pleased with my purchase so far. Fully loaded, has everything I need plus. There's been a lot of technological advances since 2007, the model I traded in.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Very pleasantly surprised.

by Mike B from Butler, PA on June 26, 2018

I have owned 2 Tacomas over the years. They were 6' bed Access Cabs. The first was a 2006 SR5, the second, a 2015 TRD Off Road. Both were good trucks and behaved just like all the reviews. Seating position, ride quality and all the rest good and not so good. I just took delivery of a 2018 5' Bed Double Cab TRD Off Road. The sizing is as reviewed but the ride quality is much improved. I am pleasantly surprised and happy to have bought this truck. The Japanese vehicle interiors have always made sense to me. Switch gear quality, placement and choice. American interiors just simply repulse me.

My first tacoma

by JozF from Ft Walton Beach, Fl on July 9, 2018

Great truck. My previous 3 trucks were Silverados. Comfortable in town. I purchased the SR5 V6 4x4 because it had a more comfortable ride in town driving than the TRD I tested. Only complaint I have is that the RPM shift range seems too low. I do love my truck

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15