2012 GTI

4.4 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Right for me

by cantstopgrinning from Ontario, Canada on February 2, 2013

did a lot of research and bought a 2012 loaded GTI manual. very happy with handling, performance, and gas mileage. love this car more than any other I've owned. i do not expect it to be as reliable as honda or toyota, but it's a blast to drive, yet economical and practical. If I only knew earlier that it was possible to drive a car like this and not break the bank, I would have bought one long ago.

The Best Next Car

by Satisfied Buyer from Athens, GA on September 1, 2015

The dreaded time had come, I knew I was going to have to sell my beloved Camaro. Two doors, virtually no back seat, and no trunk space just didn't work for me anymore. The days of college and care free driving in a car that drove as good as I felt were long past... Or so I thought. Who says responsible, efficient cars can't be just as, if not more fun? Boring hatchbacks and sluggish sedans had plagued my dreams over the course of months of car shopping. Then, as a mysterious dark knight emerging with the rising sun, I found the new car of my dreams. Could it be? A reasonable hatchback with space for the kids, storage for luggage, and a turbocharged engine to make my old Camaro green with envy? From the moment I shifted into gear with the GTI, equipped with the Autobahn package with all the bells and whistles, I knew my heart would belong to no other. Who says being an adult is no fun? Obviously, they've never driven my Volkswagen.

Best AllArounder with Zip

by High School Scirocco from Fairfax VA (DC Area) on December 11, 2011

GTI is just the best value in sporty compacts. compared to mini, mazda & audi. It doesnt do everything great, but overall its just better. Not the most powerful engine, but its way fun to drive (mazda 3 has more HP, but how much straight line accel do you need in the suburbs). The wheels and pirelli tires really do rock, plenty of lateral G's. It has great styling, no one has to guess which car you bought (mini has the edge there though, if that is most important to you). Same engine as the audi & the mini's are more expensive and just too small. Audi's get pricey way too fast. For the options i got (sunroof and Nav), this car was a great deal. Plenty of zip - I got the manual, but the DSG with paddles is great. The only down sides: no options available, just trim levels. no interior color options, just leather or cloth (vw take a lesson from mini, is it so hard to offer tan leather? I would have bought the autobahn). The nav system is nice to have integrated but a $150 Garmin is better for just pure nav, this doesnt speak street names. The stereo is just so-so (unless you get the upgraded autobahn unit). i will likely get better speakers, but keep the head unit, it is integrated to the drivers display very nicely. Reliability is hard to judge since it is new. Initial delivery was spotless and havent had a problem yet.

GTI, A good choice

by BK.T car fanatic, sport bike junkie from Las Vegas on October 5, 2011

If you're an enthusiast of sport minded vehicles, you won't be disappointed with the VW GTI. I chose the 6 speed manual with the convenience package. It's a well appointed automobile, good seats, decent stereo, and the ergonomics are great. I'm 6' 2" and there is no shortage of leg or headroom, which was my complaint with the 2012 Civic Si (my second choice of cars this go around). Driving this car puts me in mind of one of my former cars, '05 Cooper S. Nimble, taut, and fun to drive. The GTI is responsive in the curves, and not shy about being pushed to redline. A good choice of performance oriented vehicle, granted, you won't be blasting past the Subaru STi, (another former car) or the Mitsubishi EVO with only 200 horses on tap. It is a very entertaining driver's car with great attention to detail. This my first VW, I doubt it will be my last. I can truly see the Golf R in my future. (hint, hint)

Best car I`ve Owned

by VW Enthusiast from Mcallen Texas on August 20, 2015

I bought my baby in December 2011 as a 2012 model,so far no issues and I have 31000 miles,since I was a kid I wanted a GTI,it has excellent gas mileage,very comfortable,the quality of the whole car is awesome, 6 speed manual transmission,which is a blast to drive,very practical,the ride is very smooth,and best of all it has German Engineering,mine is the basic model,but it comes very well equipped,everything that I need,one of the things I like about the GTI is the steering wheel,its beautiful,i will keep this one as long as I live.

Best all round

by VW from Baltimore, MD on February 6, 2012

This car has been a treat to drive so far. Inside the interior is professionally done you can't tell the difference between an Audi and VW. No over done massive knobs to control things or touch screen and vents that make you feel like your playing a video game. Autoban package was worth every penny. Outside design is great thanks to very cool looking LED lights, so worth the wait of buy this model year. I'm very impressed with this car. Driving is great, perfect balance for the everyday commuter car and ability to terror lose on some back road. Yes like what most stats say not as fast as this or suspension is touch soft. But hey a few hundred buck more you can chip the car and add stiffer ride. Hands down you won't beat this car in over all.

super hot hatch - 12 GTI, 1500 miles so far

by wylie from xenia, Ohio on April 2, 2012

really nice car, more than I expected, even the interior is way above compact car standards. The electronics and vehicle computer offer lots of driver info. Car is quick and quiet, manual 6 speed is very smooth and easy shifting. Seating position is higher than some like the Civic Si, and getting full clutch throw requires a bit closer seat than some might like. Mileage is 33+ on trips, about mid-high 20's around town, depending on how much you enjoy the turbo power.

Only flaw is Nav/Stereo

by jrg from San Jose, CA on May 14, 2012

My only critique of the 2012 GTI is that the Nav does not integrate with the phone. The iPhone/Bluetooth interaction is create, it automatically syncs so you can voice dial items in your phones address book. But you can not navigate to an address in the phones address book. Also the ipod (media) feature does not allow control of the iphone over BT (i.e. pause, play, FF, etc). I'm not sure yet if it does so if hard wired as the cable will not fit in my iPhone with an Apple Bumper on the phone (the corners of the plastic on the plug are too square) and I have not filed them down yet so I don't tend to use the hardwire. Overall I love the car. The manual could be a little more specific (e.g. it does not tell you anything about how the shifts are programmed for the DSG just that there is Sport mode and Drive mode but does not tell your for example once you override the program, how long it will stay in manual before taking over again. You quickly figure it out, but it would be nice to spell it out) One item I didn't think would be that big of a deal is keyless entry, but I really like this, its soooo convenient to not have to fish our your keys. Note that I have not owned it long enough to judge reliability but the ratings did not have a N/A option.

Oh What FUN it is!

by Aquila from Raleigh on November 29, 2011

I have a 2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, which I love (but am concerned about the High Pressure Fuel Pump failures that have become far to common!). We needed a second car and I was considering a new Golf TDI, but the Service Manager at the local dealer suggested I try the GTI. Really glad we got that advice!

The True Hot Hatch

by VB Car Shopper from Florida on May 27, 2017

The Volkswagen GTI is a lot of things. Cult classic? Check. Weekend thrill ride? Check. Modification magnet? Check. Daily driver? Check! The MK6 GTI was one of the best iterations of Volkswagen's iconic hatchback to grace the shores of the US, and also one of the shortest lived. It took a long time for zee Germans to bring their 6th generation Golf GTI to the US, but it was well worth the wait. The updates to the already superb MK5 were substantial. A better crafted and better looking interior and exterior. Upgraded suspension, breaks, tires and overall ride quality. The same excellent power plant with some minor tweaks to increase efficiency and reliability. There is a good reason the 7th generation GTI looks, feels and drives so similarly to it's older brother. Why mess with perfection?

1 2 3 4 5