2012 GTI

2012 Volkswagen GTI

2012 Volkswagen GTI

Have You Driven the 2012 Volkswagen GTI?

The Best Next Car

by Satisfied Buyer from Athens, GA on Tue Sep 01 2015

The dreaded time had come, I knew I was going to have to sell my beloved Camaro. Two doors, virtually no back seat, and no trunk space just didn't work for me anymore. The days of college and care free driving in a car that drove as good as I felt were long past... Or so I thought. Who says responsible, efficient cars can't be just as, if not more fun? Boring hatchbacks and sluggish sedans had plagued my dreams over the course of months of car shopping. Then, as a mysterious dark knight emerging with the rising sun, I found the new car of my dreams. Could it be? A reasonable hatchback with space for the kids, storage for luggage, and a turbocharged engine to make my old Camaro green with envy? From the moment I shifted into gear with the GTI, equipped with the Autobahn package with all the bells and whistles, I knew my heart would belong to no other. Who says being an adult is no fun? Obviously, they've never driven my Volkswagen.

Right for me

by cantstopgrinning from Ontario, Canada on Sat Feb 02 2013

did a lot of research and bought a 2012 loaded GTI manual. very happy with handling, performance, and gas mileage. love this car more than any other I've owned. i do not expect it to be as reliable as honda or toyota, but it's a blast to drive, yet economical and practical. If I only knew earlier that it was possible to drive a car like this and not break the bank, I would have bought one long ago.

Best AllArounder with Zip

by High School Scirocco from Fairfax VA (DC Area) on Sun Dec 11 2011

GTI is just the best value in sporty compacts. compared to mini, mazda & audi. It doesnt do everything great, but overall its just better. Not the most powerful engine, but its way fun to drive (mazda 3 has more HP, but how much straight line accel do you need in the suburbs). The wheels and pirelli tires really do rock, plenty of lateral G's. It has great styling, no one has to guess which car you bought (mini has the edge there though, if that is most important to you). Same engine as the audi & the mini's are more expensive and just too small. Audi's get pricey way too fast. For the options i got (sunroof and Nav), this car was a great deal. Plenty of zip - I got the manual, but the DSG with paddles is great. The only down sides: no options available, just trim levels. no interior color options, just leather or cloth (vw take a lesson from mini, is it so hard to offer tan leather? I would have bought the autobahn). The nav system is nice to have integrated but a $150 Garmin is better for just pure nav, this doesnt speak street names. The stereo is just so-so (unless you get the upgraded autobahn unit). i will likely get better speakers, but keep the head unit, it is integrated to the drivers display very nicely. Reliability is hard to judge since it is new. Initial delivery was spotless and havent had a problem yet.

GTI, A good choice

by BK.T car fanatic, sport bike junkie from Las Vegas on Wed Oct 05 2011

If you're an enthusiast of sport minded vehicles, you won't be disappointed with the VW GTI. I chose the 6 speed manual with the convenience package. It's a well appointed automobile, good seats, decent stereo, and the ergonomics are great. I'm 6' 2" and there is no shortage of leg or headroom, which was my complaint with the 2012 Civic Si (my second choice of cars this go around). Driving this car puts me in mind of one of my former cars, '05 Cooper S. Nimble, taut, and fun to drive. The GTI is responsive in the curves, and not shy about being pushed to redline. A good choice of performance oriented vehicle, granted, you won't be blasting past the Subaru STi, (another former car) or the Mitsubishi EVO with only 200 horses on tap. It is a very entertaining driver's car with great attention to detail. This my first VW, I doubt it will be my last. I can truly see the Golf R in my future. (hint, hint)

Oh What FUN it is!

by Aquila from Raleigh on Tue Nov 29 2011

I have a 2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, which I love (but am concerned about the High Pressure Fuel Pump failures that have become far to common!). We needed a second car and I was considering a new Golf TDI, but the Service Manager at the local dealer suggested I try the GTI. Really glad we got that advice!

Best all round

by VW from Baltimore, MD on Mon Feb 06 2012

This car has been a treat to drive so far. Inside the interior is professionally done you can't tell the difference between an Audi and VW. No over done massive knobs to control things or touch screen and vents that make you feel like your playing a video game. Autoban package was worth every penny. Outside design is great thanks to very cool looking LED lights, so worth the wait of buy this model year. I'm very impressed with this car. Driving is great, perfect balance for the everyday commuter car and ability to terror lose on some back road. Yes like what most stats say not as fast as this or suspension is touch soft. But hey a few hundred buck more you can chip the car and add stiffer ride. Hands down you won't beat this car in over all.

Best car I`ve Owned

by VW Enthusiast from Mcallen Texas on Thu Aug 20 2015

I bought my baby in December 2011 as a 2012 model,so far no issues and I have 31000 miles,since I was a kid I wanted a GTI,it has excellent gas mileage,very comfortable,the quality of the whole car is awesome, 6 speed manual transmission,which is a blast to drive,very practical,the ride is very smooth,and best of all it has German Engineering,mine is the basic model,but it comes very well equipped,everything that I need,one of the things I like about the GTI is the steering wheel,its beautiful,i will keep this one as long as I live.

I love my toy.

by John G from on Thu May 29 2014

I picked up my GTI on an impulse buy. I can not complain what so ever. I bought the used car for way under MSRP. I have a 6-speed and the touch screen cd changer. I will say that out of that factory the straight line performance is a little sluggish, but around corners it is a dream. A little hint, a tune really wakes this car up.

Fun little City car

by Tom Ski from Chicago IL on Thu Mar 23 2017

2012 VW GTI , has been a great little car to drive around the city. It's quick without an overwhelming speed , but great to get in and our of tight traffic. A few overall criticism. Although the interior quality is excellent , some of the electronics can be fussy. I had several issues with the moon roof not being able to close due to an electrical shortage. Also , I recommend going down a wheel size from the 18 inch that come standard. In a city full of potholes , I had to replace or repair rims at least once a year.

Great Car but Expensive Maintenance

by Rishi from Greensboro,NC on Thu Sep 07 2017

I believe this car is perfect for most people who want a fuel efficient car but also like the fast cars. I average about 27 which is good considering I am driving mostly in the city. However the biggest expense by far is the dsg transmission fluid that you have to change about every 30,000 miles. From a dealer's quote it cost roughly 500 dollars which is outrageously expensive

1 2 3 4 5