2008 Volkswagen Passat consumer reviews

$23,990–$25,065 MSRP range
side view of 2008 Passat Volkswagen
Explore the 2008 Volkswagen Passat

Great car to drive and safety

I purchased a used low millage 2008 Passat Lux with the 2.0 litter turbo engine. The 2008 is a much improved Passat. Great handling, power, comfort and good millage. I get 28.3 MPG average. I drive daily 12 miles of gravel road, 32 miles of Interstate at 80 MPH plus and 25 miles of city. I love the long oil changes required. Great car!!!

Superb Sedan

When they say highway poise- they mean it! The V6 in Sport mode will pass nearly anything on the 2 lane. The car feels very stable all the time. This is a tank on wheels with good gas mileage. I was T-boned in the driver's side door by a chevy suburban going 50mph and I walked away! Rain-sensing windshield wiper technology still to be perfected. Low-profile tires make for a bit of a bumpy ride on the back roads - but otherwise very comfortable. Very reliable car if you keep up on oil changes.

German Joy

I always assumed the best was Honda...then I test drove the passat. If you are considering any japanese car, do yourself a favor and test the passat. Looks like a family car but drives and feels like a porsche.

Very sporty for a family sedan

Good fuel economy and power with the 4 cylinder turbo. Great handling and comfortable interior. Great car for the price.

Awesome car! Fun to drive.

Just purchased the 2008 Komfort Passat and we love it. It is a 4 cylinder with turbo/triptonic and it moves like an 8 cylinder. I just wish that it would have come with a navigation system, especially for the price tag. It does have a six CD in dash changer though and other bells and whistles. We looked at the Lexus IS 250, Honda Accord, and Camry. The Lexus IS 250 was way too small. No leg room in the vehicle and felt a little claustrophobic. I expected more for the price tag! The other two vehicles just didn't blow me away like the Passat. I just love the European flair and styling that it delivers.

There are cars and there are driving machines.....

This is the best car my wife and I have owned. We did not intend to purchase this vehicle, just compare it with the Saturn Aura, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, etc. We drove it and were quite literally blown away. This vehicle makes you feel as if your feet are the tires and you're running the road. The safety features, the comfort and 'fun' factor is unmatched with the aforementioned vehicles. The kids enjoy the roomy back seat, I love the hold feature for city driving, she loves the zippy 2.0 turbo (okay, we both agree on that one!). Reliability is a concern for the long haul, but we'll keep it maintained and watch it carefully during the warranty period. Lastly, we were told that this trim level has complete control over computer functions relative to the display on the dash. That is not the case! The Komfort level trim does not allow programing of door locks, lights, etc. It is very limited and not at all useful. But, don't let that throw you. This is a commuter's joy machine!