2018 BMW 530e consumer reviews

$52,650 starting MSRP
side view of 2018 530e BMW
Explore the 2018 BMW 530e
Shop the 2018 BMW 530e

Just purchased one and love it!

Excellent car. The torque is fantastic. You feel the acceleration on the seat. Much better than the gas-only 530i in my opinion. The car when charged up has more punch.

Great drive - good road car

I can't tell the differences between the transition from electric to gas, it has been very economical and excellent driving vehicle. It is a very pleasant drive on a curvy topanga road in Southern California

Very impressed with the performance level

It was a great buy for the money and quality of performance of the car. The interior was in mint condition. The sound system was state of the art. The body exterior was flawless. The car had one owner.

Hybrid 5 Series test drive success

I have owned different models of BMW over the last 20 years with the exception of the 5 series sedan. My desire was to own the M550 however my commute would just not make sense with the mileage so I tested a used 5 hybrid and fell in love. The model 3 is a solid car but it is not quite as comfortable as the 5 I tested. I would prefer more distance capability on the electric motor but it would get me into the 5 series without losing my 3 series MPG.

4.0

Bad but better then other BMW models.

Car was ok. Coming from F30 330e(worse car ever that I’ve owned). I like the sportline design, interior design was good, however there is a rattling noise in the boot since after 1 month. Hybrid on this car was doing fine. Haven’t gave me any issue.

2.7

Unfortunate Lemon with my 2018 530e

We've driven nothing but BMW's the last 6 years and have owned 4, including the 2018 530e. The first major malfunction was when my 530e became totally disabled while driving on an expressway in San Diego on 02/09/2019. To top it off- BMW roadside assistance called 5 different tow drivers who cancelled on them over the course of 5 hours- I had to call the police and request a police tow truck, which meant I had to pay out of pocket and also pay a police rate. (1.5x normal) I asked BMW to refund the tow and it was like pulling teeth, finally, they convinced Allstate, who they third party their roadside services through, to refund me. I get my vehicle back 3 weeks later and they let me know they replaced the 12volt battery-a main power source of course being that it's a hybrid vehicle. They have no explanation for why I had little control over my steering, hardly any braking, and no electricity throughout any of the vehicle. I love the car and the way it looks so I'm glad to get out of the loaner and back into my car. Fast forward to 11/07/2019- I go into the service center for a routine service, I also accept an additional fee to have dealer recommended adjustments made. I get my car back on 11/09/2019, and on 11/29/2019 I exit my driveway and notice the vehicle is idling very high and jumping very hard when I pushed the accelerator. I called BMW and asked if I could bring the vehicle to them because I'm worried the car is having the same issues as before and would prefer not to be stuck on the side of the road for 5 hours. Sure enough, the vehicle breaks down in front of the service center. As of the time of this post, 1/1/2019 the car has been in the shop 34 days and I have chose to take legal action under the CA Lemon Law.

Most enjoyable car I've owned

Very nice hybrid has all the bells and whistles smooth ride spacious for me and family tome to save some money on gas and see how this hybrid does

Quality performance sedan

This hybrid has quiet, quick, smooth acceleration. I don't like to feel like the engine is working hard and it feels effortless with this car.

3.1

Several malfunctions and safety issues

Car is currently in the shop for the 4th time in less than a year. First repair was only days after having it - drivetrain malfunction while driving on the highway - engine kicked down and clanking noise from under hood. Then the same thing happened again a few months later. Another safety issue I experienced was the digital dashboard glitching on and off and going out of focus such that the speedometer was not visible. Other issues: bluetooth/pairing, key fob connectivity issues, poor engine performance, grinding/puttering noises, battery not holding a charge, camera malfunction, and multiple recalls within short period. Almost every aspect of the technology has failed more than once despite updates administered each time at the shop. Not to mention BMW service is awful in Long Island area - 2+ weeks wait to get an appointment with a loaner each time I needed it. This is the common consensus despite which service center you use. Ridiculous when you are calling for issues that make you feel unsafe to drive the vehicle. Nobody seems to care. Service centers are always swamped - not a good indication of vehicle quality or management of staffing. Either way, translates to poor customer service.

3.3

22,000 miles on it

Car gets 23.5 miles to gallon average. Battery always has to be recharged does not last long. Once battery is dead. Car is slow..and a seat belt issue which puts screen always alerted.. had it in once for a week ..And wasn’t fixed properly.. gas tank is small and on long trips does not go far..interior design is boring.. not modern looking