2006 Silverado 1500

4.1 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.3 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.4 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Great truck for a great price

by Love my Silverado from KY on November 15, 2011

I had my Tacoma recalled this year and had a tough time switching to Chevy. But I must say now that I have had it for about 4 months, I love my '06 Silverado. It is such a smooth ride, drives great, quiet and comfortable. The only downsides are some of the missing upgrades, I would have liked a sliding rear window, controls on the steering wheel, etc. I also miss the storage space below the rear seats in the Tacoma. There is really nowhere to stash straps, etc. Otherwise I am very happy. It is an adjustment to spend $75 to fill my gas tank, but it does get around 400 miles to a tank, which is nice to not have to stop as often (Tacoma got about 300). I hope to keep this truck for a very long time, I may be a Chevy girl after all!

Great value

by Lease from Orlando on April 25, 2007

06 4 door,4.8l, auto. Despite the rough highway ride, the truck is very comfortable with plenty of power. They look great and come at a great price.

Best truck I've owned

by Kyle from Madawaska, ME on March 28, 2011

I've had this truck for about three months and I love it. I live in Maine and had a regular cab truck that had this much control in the snow. I use this truck for many purposes form towing a trailer that meant and loaded for a super duty truck, to my commute to work, to a bit of off-roading every now and then. It is only the basic model with the V6 4.3L engine but it's drives through 2-3 feet of snow like I was on a tar road. For a full-sized half ton it doesn't drive like one, the ride is smooth like that of a cadiallac's and very tight turning radius compared to my uncle's 2000 model that is essentially the same as mine. There is minimal to none as far as engine noise (Purrs like a kitten) Pro's 1.Vinyl flooring that is very easy to clean (soapy rag and its good as new) 2.very comfortable 60:40:60 bucket seats (also with vinyl leather) 3.Four on the floor (Stick shifter to toggle 4X4, prefered over buttons) 4.New body style 5.Rugged (haven't found a back woods road thats beat my truck yet) 6. I like the 4-speed transmission for when I haul the trailer that I have(4-5 tons when loaded), plenty of torque to get the job done. Con's 1.Would have liked an in dash cup holder 2.Really had to crank up the torsion bars so I would stop sliding forward in my seat 3. 4X4 does not want to activate when it is below -20 F, and have to wait for a while for it to lock in 4. Crank for roll up window seem quite flimsy, very low quality plastic compared to everything esle in the cab 5.Lag in the throttle, I had this adjusted a month after I bought the truck. I put in some after market fuel injectors and throttle body that constricted les on t he motor allowing it to meet my quality of acceleration 6.I wish they would have made a 6-speed auto trans for the models, just for the fact of when I am on the highway shifts from fourth to third with any small movement of my foot on the throttle. (thinking about getting a chip to fix that)

Still running strong

by Chevy man from Michigan, California on February 23, 2014

Bought new in 2006 Chevy Silverado Z71 package 5.3 V8, just came back from a cross country run 3,500 miles and it has over 163K miles on it, got close to 20MPG with loaded down truck bed, has camper shell. Used 1 QT of oil as usual and no issues, keep speed around 70 MPG up or down hill no problems. Smooth ride and very quite. Only had to replace rotors on both fronts and water pump and a few other issues under $200. Normal maintenance and oil changes, replaced shocks at 125K other than that I can not complain, replaced original tires at 50K next at 100K Michelins XT's,recent survey said most trucks and big SUV's can go 200K easily, made a believer out of me. Will keep around till it falls apart, why bother paying $$$$ for a new one.

2006 1500 W/T

by Silverado Man from IL on May 24, 2015

I've always been a fan of GM and I've never had a problem with this truck. I'm the second owner and the first owner took good care of it, taking it to the dealer for regular work. It now has 104,000 miles and I've had no problems with it at all. I bought it with 86,000. It's pretty basic with crank windows, 2wd, 8ft bed, a/c, and the 4.3L. I wanted simple, I don't need all of the bells and whistles, just more stuff to repair. No point in getting a 4wd unless you like off road driving or live out in the sticks. I use it for towing a small boat, as well as, throwing things in the bed. Mainly use it as a daily around town driver. The only minor drawback is the 4.3L engine. It gets around 16/18 mpg which isn't bad. Kinda underpowered but its a truck not a Camaro. The 4.3L/5.7L engines are legendary and will last for ever if you take care of them, overall its a great truck for the price!

I love driving this truck!

by kazrt from Rochester, MN on October 19, 2017

This truck was great for winter. I never had an issue getting around in bad weather. This truck is also very reliable, never had any issues.

Always been a Chevy lover the one I have now I am

by Chevy man from Las Vegas on September 13, 2017

The vehicle is very reliable I have over 200,000 miles on it and it still runs great I would recommend to anybody to buy a Chevy also have a 2007 Chevy Suburban LTZ that I'm very pleased with it is great for going on vacation or an everyday driver

My tears are in the rearveiw mirror.

by Chevy man. from Paragould, Ar on April 8, 2017

Awsome truck. Comfortable ride, Great handling. Saved my life in a near accident. Always getting looks, inquiries and thumbs up from people I don't even know.

Great truck

by Josh from Yukon OK on April 5, 2017

One of the best trucks i've seen been happy so far bought back in june of 2016 basic maintenance done cold air stopped working easy quick $5 fix

Uses car for Towing

Good work pick up

by CJG11 from Austin TX on September 27, 2017

Nice work pick up, works even better with a load. No major repairs required and still going strong..

1 2 3 4 5