2013 Escape

3.8 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
3.9 out of 5 starsReliability

Disappointed after 2.5 years

by Disappointed after 2.5 years from Minnesota on February 1, 2015

This was great my first 2 years driving it...besides all the recalls. It's hard finding the time to drop off your car when it's over an hour away to the closest Ford dealership. Now in my 3rd year driving it I have had tons of issues. The major issue is that it has died tons of times this winter. We also have a 2010 Escape that is started with a key and haven't had a single starting issue with that one. My car has been completely unreliable this winter. The push button seems to be a big downfall for winter starting. My car has also said No key detected a few times which meant I was unable to drive my car again. I have had a lot of trouble with the Bluetooth music connection in my third year having it. Didn't have issues before. My screen inside my car shuts off by itself all the time. It also freezes and won't do anything. My USB charger works sometimes not always. I took my car in yesterday to take care of an engine recall and they said that would take care of my starting issues....this morning it won't start so I will need to take it in again. I will be looking to trade in this car ASAP.

Does not recommend this car!!

The Best in Class!

by Dequindre from Michigan on October 29, 2012

The Escape that I drove was an AWD SE model with the Frost Blue paint and is equipped with the 1.6L engine. I left very impressed! Things I like: The Intelligent AWD is pretty neat, a screen over the gauges will tell you what wheels are getting the power. That screen over the gauges will also tell the driver what their average FE is (I got 26 MPG on my test), how far the driver can go on their current amount of gas, and the usual stuff like a trip calculator, compass, thermometer... You can also take traction control off, but I didn't do it. I really liked the steering wheel controls! It was nice to be able to control the radio without taking your hands off the wheel. The 4" screen on the center dash mostly deals with SYNC functions, CD, radio, and Sirius Radio (a 6-month subscription is complementary!). I didn't try to SYNC my phone, but I did hook my iPod up to the car. While I thought the feature was neat, I just don't have enough songs to really make it worthwhile. Up front, materials are absolutely top notch. You could just feel how dense the plastics were. The door handles and a few other bits are made of actual metal. The back seats are where the Escape really shines! No matter what setting the front seats were at, I always had enough legroom to make travel comfortable. When driving, you can tell that the vehicle was engineered in Germany. The ride is very firm (it makes the Escape feel like its riding higher). Even though the ride was firm, the Escape still managed to absorb bumps in the road to a good degree. The one I drove returned a tidy 26 MPG. Handling is very tight and almost sporty. Just some other cool things that I noted: The headlights are the best that i've ever seen on a passenger vehicle. When I was on a country road, I thought that i'd try the high beams. Only if the Earth hurls towards the sun will that road be brighter! Not only was the light projected forward (and pretty far I might add), but towards the sides of the road (a very nice feature up North) and upward. I was very impressed I also liked the "door ajar" message on the screen when a door was opened. The glove-box also thoroughly amazed me. It not only has two deep shelves in it, but it has a little light that beams in there so you can see what you're grabbing. Folding down the second row is also a very easy process. Just pull the lever and down they go. The Escape sits very low to the ground, which many people with families and elderly parents (or elderly themselves) would enjoy. With that, off-road capability probably isn't as great. Things that could be improved: The biggest thing that could be improved on in the Escape is the cargo space. This could go for every compact CUV, or just the Escape, I haven't really been around too many compact CUVs to get a good sense of how big the cargo area is in comparison. It just seemed small to me. A plastic storage tub takes away about half of the cargo area when the second row is still erect. That may not be a problem if you were driving by yourself or with another passenger, but that might be a little tight for a family with luggage. There was a little pocket back there for small items that I liked, it was deep enough to throw a few bungee cords in there. And even though the Escape kind of sloped down in the back, the liftgate still opens up high enough to comfortably walk under it. With that said, it and all of the other doors close with a reassuring "thud". Another gripe about something being small: the console is just about useless. Another thing that could and should be improved on is the dashboard design. The vents on the far sides are a weird collection of geometric shapes that all face a different direction. All of the buttons on the main portion of the dash serve their function well (and are ergonomically friendly), but the design is just strange. The driver almost has to pre-set their Sirius stations, because finding them while driving is no easy task. I'd rather just stop at one, and

Nice car - Sync has been an issue

by Stonejaw from Fort Collins, CO on September 27, 2012

Love the car except for two things (Have had it for about five weeks) It's the Titanium model. Gas mileage around town so far only about 18 mpg. The Ford Sync locked up the first week. Reset by the dealer - lost all my settings and had to reprogram everything. Should be an easy way to reset and a way to store your settings on a SD card. Also had the car enter Transport Mode - dealer didn't know what to do. Searched on the internet and a bizarre sequence of brakes and hazard lights unlocked it.

Best car ever

by Love my car from Maryland on May 16, 2013

Bought 2013 SE Model love everything about it. I have 5,000 miles on it not one problem with anything. So far combined gas mileage is 27 miles per gallon. Love it so far.

Computer system fails over and over

by adolle from Los Angeles, CA on January 8, 2013

We bought our 2013 Escape in November 2012 and were very excited about all the bells and whistles it has to offer. We have a baby so things like a motion sensor to open the tail gate, keyless entry, remote starting and the voice command Mytouch Microsoft system looked great. Well, three months into owning this car and I want to cry! Besides the fact that the car was already recalled and we had to turn it back into the dealer for 3 weeks while they tried to fix the issue, the computer system is AWFUL. Here is the list of what has happened so far: 1. When we go to make a phone call, there is a "privacy" button on the screen that gets permanently stuck. The button makes it so that the phone call isn't going though the car speakers but instead can only be heard if you have your phone to your ear. I can hit that button over and over and nothing happens. Then sometimes on different days, it will just work, with no rhyme or reason. 2. The navigation has literally driven me in circles. It has directed me around the same block then, out of no where, it will send me to where I need to go. 3. When I'm listening to my Ipod, I will hit options such as shuffle, and it just won't do anything. It will continue to play the songs in the list in order. It also freezes when I try to change to a different playlist or artist and takes sometimes 5 or more minutes to unfreeze. 4. And my favorite issue is that the entire computer system has just shut off in the middle of driving! Yep, just gone black. No phone, no navigation, no music, nothing! Then after going black for a couple minutes the screen will come back on and say "updating". I use this car for work and driving clients around and I have now looked like a fool a number of times when the navigation goes haywire, or we are on a business call and something goes wrong. I feel as if I may get into a wreck someday just trying to adjust the system when things go wrong. And we've taken to the dealer for these issues and all we are told is there is or isn't a new update for the system, then they update if there is and send us back home and nothing is fixed! Just all the things we had programmed in are now erased and we have to redo it all. I would highly NOT recommend this car unless you are not needing the computer system at all, and even then, I would say get a Honda CRV!

Does not recommend this car!!

Better than a CRV

by Dave from Ohio on January 17, 2014

I have had the car for over a year and still enjoying the drive. The car does very on the freeway with one very major exception. The gas tank is way too small, have to stop every 250 miles for fuel. Drivers seat very comfortable, passenger seat not so much. (Note to Ford, make the passengers seat as adjustable as the drivers.). Gas mileage is less than advertised. Love the electronics and touch screen. Really like the voice command feature, so can keep hands on wheel and eyes on the road. A lot of room in the back when the seats are down.

More than I expected

by George from Leslie, Ga on February 12, 2016

Used SEL 40K miles one owner, was very well maintained. I am 6*2 and have plenty of room, interior is very well designed and all controls are easily reached, steering is good but would like a little more road feel. back up screen could use a wider view, parking assist is great for the wife, rear view is lacking due to rear headrest. Overall love this vehicle.

A Real Trooper!

by Goochman from San Diego, CA on August 14, 2017

Our Escape has taken us all over So Cal and over a dozen trips to Arizona and back. I've used it to haul stuff to Goodwill as well as trips to Home Depot and Lowes when I remodeled both bathrooms. It has great pickup and stops on a dime. No complaints. I would highly recommend the Escape to anyone and everyone. Everyone who has ever been in it was impressed with how comfortable and stylish it is. Only cons are the gas tank is too small and the tires are expensive to replace.

Very comfortable SUV

by Involved dad from Houston, tx on July 26, 2013

I love this SUV. Very sleek styling inside and out. We purchased the S model which is at the bottom of the list but top of the line in our minds. For the price it is a very nice vehicle

2013 Escape is Awesome!

by JR from Philly on September 25, 2012

My wife and I spent 6 months evaluating all the options out there and the different manufacturers. Then we settled on the type car we wanted, determined the specs we needed. Then we compared the different types of CUV's to see who matched our needs best. it came down to a shoot out between the Escape and C-RV. Once I drove them both there was no comparison. The 2.0L engine, the new electric steering (this gives it a true sports car feel), and the electronic control over traction and curves made this an easy choice. The electronics package was the deal sealer. the only concern will be reliability due to all the electronic packages on this car. Go drive one TODAY!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 36