2012 Focus

3.7 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Luv My 2012 Focus

by Kevin from Maryland on July 18, 2011

I bought a 2012 Focus S about 3 weeks ago and love it. I test drove several models including the 2012 Hyundai Accent and Elantra, the Chevy Cruze Eco, Ford Fiesta, and Honda CRZ. I thought that all were nice cars, however when I drove the Focus, it felt responsive and sporty. When I returned to the dealer I realized that I had a grin on my face(a good sign). The 2.0 liter/ 160 hp engine is energetic and revs willingly up to the redline. It has a nice sound when accelerating but is quiet most of the time. IMO this engine is a really nice fit with the 5-speed stick. The stick has very nice shift action, and so does the clutch. The car would get better highway mileage if the manual transmission had a 6th gear. As for the body/chassis, the car feels very well put together, the doors close with a nice "thunk", and cloth seats are attractive and provide good support. Also, the car's dashboard and gauge cluster are very nice. I cannot speak about Sync as this car is not equipped with it. Fuel economy is a priority, and during the first 2 tanks I have averaged about 34 mpg in about 30/70 City/Hwy driving. This was driving fairly efficiently but with the A/C running most of the time. The 5-speed is rated at 27/36 mpg which is a bit lower than some of the competition, but the car has 15 to 18 more horsepower than the others mentioned above, and that made the difference for me. I definitely recommend this car, but if you are looking for 40 mpg or more, you should look elsewhere.

HAs been anything, but disappointing so far.

by Quite the Picky Buyer from Kansas Cityu, MO on April 23, 2012

The 2012 Focus has definitely blown its 2011 model-year out of the ballpark. I would not change a thing on the exterior. There are many pleasant surprises in my Focus. It is surprisingly well-put-together. The ride is comfortable, and suspension does a great job of absorbing the imperfections on the road. It is soft but agile. It adds fun the the sharp turns, especially if you have the 17'' wheels, which allow it to stick to the pavement. Prior to my Focus, I test drove the 2012 Civic sedan, 2011 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5, 2012 Corolla and 2012 Sentra. Civic handled like a bowl of pudding when it came to cornering and maintaining stability on the exit ramps. Acceleration also could use some spicing up. Mazda 3 was stylish, good take-off, but not so good for my kidneys. Suspension too stiff. Corolla, well it was just a corolla, a solid economy car, with rather understated interior, and average experience overall. Great car for... (don't want to offend anyone. One word for 2012 Sentra - "Plain". One word for Focus - Wow! However, one drawback of the 2012 Focus is its rear seating space. Not too comfy when you have four adults in the vehicle. (Ford, consider adding 2 inches for the rear passengers, especially in the Hatchback!). When it come to fuel consumption, so far, I am averaging 34.5MPG, with roughly 50/50 split between city and highway. got 3,500 miles on it. I was a big Ford critic, but this little car made me rethink my point of view on American Auto Manufacturing potentials. P.S. if you want a good balance of toys and convenience, go for the SEL packing

saved my life

by natmay from Washington on November 25, 2013

I got my 2012 focus a year and a half ago and 42k miles ago. We were t boned by a drunk driver almost a week ago at 55mph. He ran a stop and hit the passenger side of my car doing 9000 worth of damage. My focus and driving experience saved us. His truck was totaled and we spun 3 times landed 350 ft from impact. Ive never felt more safe in a vehicle, the way it handled my quick spin was amazing, we didnt even wobble to flip it stayed on the pavement. I am a proud focus owner andhave had some of the same ttransmission jssues, but they keep doi g it until its fixed! I wouldnt drive anything else! My husband survived the hit because the car is solid.

LOVE IT

by BE200 PILOT from Fort Worth, TX on August 23, 2011

I purchased the SE Sedan in March and I love it. I'm having no issues with the SYNC system, it works every time for me. The 6 speed auto transmission takes some getting used to, if you are smooth on the accelerator it will usually not jerk, but if are not if will jerk a little but so as to be intrusively annoying. I have gotten used to it and it does not bother me. Driving 65mph on the freeway I was getting 40.8 mpg last week which is impressive. The 160 hp is adaquate unless you just came out of a Mustang. The interior is nicely done, the seats are comfortable and well bolstered. Ihave had no maintenance issues since new and would buy another Focus,

by Kevin O'Clock from Wilmington, Delaware on October 25, 2011

This car has been getting "best in class" reviews, and they are justified. An amazing value for $21K. Finally US manufacturers - or at least Ford - are learning not to skimp on compact cars. This roomy hatchback holds the road like a sports car, runs close to 30 mpg around town and 40 mpg on the highway [five speed], and has plenty of power. The SYNC system takes some configuation, but is seamless between phone, radio, Ipod, satellite, CD. Room in back for my bike with the seats down. Seats are supportive and comfortable on long trips. Quiet firm ride and very good visibility. A pleasure to drive - even on short trips. Everything works!

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Not your typical Focus

by Ron from Belvidere on November 30, 2012

I've had my Titanium Sedan for a couple of months now. I am shocked that they still call this a Focus. I've driven Focus rentals from the past and this is not the same car. The touch screen, the leather, the tight sport steering, the road hugging handling, the soft ride and the fantastic mpg make this car step out of the "cheap economy car" stereotype. Im 6-2 so its a little tight but its still very comfortable. A bit pricey too but it aint the Focus from the past. I've read complaints about the new automatic 6 speed clutch but I dont feel the same. It shifts differently than you are use to but you adjust fine and now I kind of like it. I wish it had more power but it has good highway acceleration. Its my first economy car ever and I made the right choice.

The best fuel efficient car I had

by Metalmachine467 from Jim Thorpe pa on October 4, 2011

I have a 2012 ford focus se with the sfe package And package 203a with the auto standard trans Coming from a jeep the gas mileage is outrageous I used to pay 7500 a week to 3500 in gas what a difference the car shifts smooth you have to get used to the slight rolling on starting as the engine is disconnected while stopped than as you take your foot off the brake you feel the engine engage. The car is built solid no rattles or noises And the hd,sirus,sync is awesome bonus to have! I'm very happy with the sporty feel of the car in general Plenty of power with the fuel efficiency if you need more power get a mustang otherwise this is a good solid reliable car!

So Far So Good

by yamura from Lawrenceville, GA on July 25, 2012

Bought this car in March, downsizing a bit now that The Offspring have moved out. I was actually looking for a Mazda3 hatch with manual trans but none were available in my area. I'd read some magazine reviews about the Focus, all generally very positive, so scouted out several dealerships and eventually test drove & bought a Focus SE hatch with manual. I like overall comfort & driveability, a/c is great, engine has adequate power, the electric power steering provides good feel, mileage meets expectations (around 30 in town) and in 5 months/5300 miles of driving it just lights off in the morning and runs with no issues. The manual trans is one of the best I've driven in over 40 years of driving; smooth with moderate throws, distinct gates, and a predictable clutch engagement point. A little awkward to heel & toe but not as hard as some other cars I've owned. The exterior styling, especially for the hatch, is attractive, unique, and should not look out of date in a couple years. Minus points for a Star Warsy entertainment console and some fit/finish/assembly issues around the RR passenger rubber window mouldings and what seems to be an improperly stamped hood resulting in an uneven gap along the LF fender. The 12.4 gal gas tank could be a couple gallons larger to be on par with other cars in this class but with its mileage not a big deal. I have read at length the comments by frustrated owners of cars with the DCT and MFT software; however, mine not being equipped with those I just don't have those kinds of problems. This has the potential to be a truly great car but Ford needs to address some issues that never should have made it to production.

PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE!!!!

by Hate focus from Cape Coral, FL on May 2, 2016

Not only transmission problems but a/c compressor, molding on doors, power windows, and thats only naming a few! And I only have 43000 miles on it!! WORST CAR EVER!!!!

Does not recommend this car!!

Best of the Best

by Focus Fan from Goldsboro, NC on November 11, 2011

My wife and recently decided to trade for a Ford Focus. Before making our purchase, we shopped around and found the Focus to be the best value. It's styling is untouched within its class in my opinion. Everything about the vehicle appears to be high quality materials, with excellent design. The only reason I marked it down on performance is because of the transmission. I haven't had any mechanical problems with it, but it will take some time to adjust to the feeling of how it shifts. We didn't go with the Corolla because the Focus offers more room for our two kids with booster seats in the back. It came down between the Focus and Cruze, and we liked the styling of the Focus better. Gas mileage is great. I registered an average of 42 miles on a highway trip recently. I also have a better fealing about buying an American made vehicle. Ford has really established a new reputation among the world's car makers. Vehicles like the Fusion being named most dependable vehicle in its class, Ford sticking it out a few years ago without a bail out, and limited recalls. Expect great things from this vehicle.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 30