Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2012 Focus

2012 Ford Focus

2012 Ford Focus

3.8

4 out of 5 stars Comfort

Have You Driven the 2012 Ford Focus?

Luv My 2012 Focus

by Kevin from Maryland on Mon Jul 18 2011

I bought a 2012 Focus S about 3 weeks ago and love it. I test drove several models including the 2012 Hyundai Accent and Elantra, the Chevy Cruze Eco, Ford Fiesta, and Honda CRZ. I thought that all were nice cars, however when I drove the Focus, it felt responsive and sporty. When I returned to the dealer I realized that I had a grin on my face(a good sign). The 2.0 liter/ 160 hp engine is energetic and revs willingly up to the redline. It has a nice sound when accelerating but is quiet most of the time. IMO this engine is a really nice fit with the 5-speed stick. The stick has very nice shift action, and so does the clutch. The car would get better highway mileage if the manual transmission had a 6th gear. As for the body/chassis, the car feels very well put together, the doors close with a nice "thunk", and cloth seats are attractive and provide good support. Also, the car's dashboard and gauge cluster are very nice. I cannot speak about Sync as this car is not equipped with it. Fuel economy is a priority, and during the first 2 tanks I have averaged about 34 mpg in about 30/70 City/Hwy driving. This was driving fairly efficiently but with the A/C running most of the time. The 5-speed is rated at 27/36 mpg which is a bit lower than some of the competition, but the car has 15 to 18 more horsepower than the others mentioned above, and that made the difference for me. I definitely recommend this car, but if you are looking for 40 mpg or more, you should look elsewhere.

LOVE IT

by BE200 PILOT from Fort Worth, TX on Tue Aug 23 2011

I purchased the SE Sedan in March and I love it. I'm having no issues with the SYNC system, it works every time for me. The 6 speed auto transmission takes some getting used to, if you are smooth on the accelerator it will usually not jerk, but if are not if will jerk a little but so as to be intrusively annoying. I have gotten used to it and it does not bother me. Driving 65mph on the freeway I was getting 40.8 mpg last week which is impressive. The 160 hp is adaquate unless you just came out of a Mustang. The interior is nicely done, the seats are comfortable and well bolstered. Ihave had no maintenance issues since new and would buy another Focus,

by Kevin O'Clock from Wilmington, Delaware on Tue Oct 25 2011

This car has been getting "best in class" reviews, and they are justified. An amazing value for $21K. Finally US manufacturers - or at least Ford - are learning not to skimp on compact cars. This roomy hatchback holds the road like a sports car, runs close to 30 mpg around town and 40 mpg on the highway [five speed], and has plenty of power. The SYNC system takes some configuation, but is seamless between phone, radio, Ipod, satellite, CD. Room in back for my bike with the seats down. Seats are supportive and comfortable on long trips. Quiet firm ride and very good visibility. A pleasure to drive - even on short trips. Everything works!

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

only the automatic transmission is a problem

by a focus owner from massachusetts on Wed Sep 12 2012

After a years study of what was out there I concluded the 2012 focus SE automatic was the best sporty car for the money and bought one. It only has one problem I can see and it is the automatic transmission which has balkiness/indecisive/jerky at low speeds. If you have AC on and/or passengers it gets worse. In automotive terms this is known as lugging. To be more technical it happens when the engine isin a higher gear than it should be for the current load it is dealing with. In addition, when it ?lugs? under these conditions, it then causes a rattle under the hood, most likely all those plastic engine cover pieces. The dealer service dept and Ford have been very honest & upfront about this, saying that all 2012 automatic focuses have this problem and there may be a fix in the future. When it happens, It is bad enough that your passengers will ask you what's wrong when they hear/feel it happen. Please ask about this and drive one looking for this problem before buying. You can also search on the internet and find that this problem is often discussed on boards related to the Ford Focus, plus in consumer reports. At least two technical service bulletins have been released and one recall, on this problem area. I have found this to be a great car aside from this one problem. You will also find other online reviews detailing this same problem.

Does not recommend this car!!

Not your typical Focus

by Ron from Belvidere on Fri Nov 30 2012

I've had my Titanium Sedan for a couple of months now. I am shocked that they still call this a Focus. I've driven Focus rentals from the past and this is not the same car. The touch screen, the leather, the tight sport steering, the road hugging handling, the soft ride and the fantastic mpg make this car step out of the "cheap economy car" stereotype. Im 6-2 so its a little tight but its still very comfortable. A bit pricey too but it aint the Focus from the past. I've read complaints about the new automatic 6 speed clutch but I dont feel the same. It shifts differently than you are use to but you adjust fine and now I kind of like it. I wish it had more power but it has good highway acceleration. Its my first economy car ever and I made the right choice.

So Far So Good

by yamura from Lawrenceville, GA on Wed Jul 25 2012

Bought this car in March, downsizing a bit now that The Offspring have moved out. I was actually looking for a Mazda3 hatch with manual trans but none were available in my area. I'd read some magazine reviews about the Focus, all generally very positive, so scouted out several dealerships and eventually test drove & bought a Focus SE hatch with manual. I like overall comfort & driveability, a/c is great, engine has adequate power, the electric power steering provides good feel, mileage meets expectations (around 30 in town) and in 5 months/5300 miles of driving it just lights off in the morning and runs with no issues. The manual trans is one of the best I've driven in over 40 years of driving; smooth with moderate throws, distinct gates, and a predictable clutch engagement point. A little awkward to heel & toe but not as hard as some other cars I've owned. The exterior styling, especially for the hatch, is attractive, unique, and should not look out of date in a couple years. Minus points for a Star Warsy entertainment console and some fit/finish/assembly issues around the RR passenger rubber window mouldings and what seems to be an improperly stamped hood resulting in an uneven gap along the LF fender. The 12.4 gal gas tank could be a couple gallons larger to be on par with other cars in this class but with its mileage not a big deal. I have read at length the comments by frustrated owners of cars with the DCT and MFT software; however, mine not being equipped with those I just don't have those kinds of problems. This has the potential to be a truly great car but Ford needs to address some issues that never should have made it to production.

Best of the Best

by Focus Fan from Goldsboro, NC on Fri Nov 11 2011

My wife and recently decided to trade for a Ford Focus. Before making our purchase, we shopped around and found the Focus to be the best value. It's styling is untouched within its class in my opinion. Everything about the vehicle appears to be high quality materials, with excellent design. The only reason I marked it down on performance is because of the transmission. I haven't had any mechanical problems with it, but it will take some time to adjust to the feeling of how it shifts. We didn't go with the Corolla because the Focus offers more room for our two kids with booster seats in the back. It came down between the Focus and Cruze, and we liked the styling of the Focus better. Gas mileage is great. I registered an average of 42 miles on a highway trip recently. I also have a better fealing about buying an American made vehicle. Ford has really established a new reputation among the world's car makers. Vehicles like the Fusion being named most dependable vehicle in its class, Ford sticking it out a few years ago without a bail out, and limited recalls. Expect great things from this vehicle.

Worst car I've ever owned

by strous04 from Barnesville, Ohio on Thu Nov 07 2013

I have had several Ford vehicles in my life and this is by far the worst vehicle I have ever owned. The transmission is terrible. The transmission is jerky, the tranmission has a chattering noise, it acts like its going to stall out, half the time you give it gas it won't go and when using cruise control it pretty much does whatever it wants. The dealership has done 4 different updates on it, the clutches have been replaced, the Ford service field representative has driven it and all Ford can say is it all normal characteristics of the vehicle. If it was normal all the vehicle would do it but my Ford dealership is saying some do and some don't. After the last update the vehicle ran better but now all the old characteristics are back, took it to the dealership again and the greased the clutches, only to mask the issue. I have once again called Ford filing my 3rd maintance on the vehicle and they are pretty much saying there is nothing they can or will do. I want rid of the vehicle before it does actually stall out in a lane of traffic and seriously hurting one of my child or someone else but the vehicle has no value to it so of course if I traded it in i would be completely upside down and have a huge payment.

Does not recommend this car!!

Best little car I could have ever bought

by Vehicle Finatic from Seymour, Indiana on Thu Oct 27 2011

This car has more bells and whistles than our Cadillac Escalade! Took this on a 530 round trip this past weekend and got an average mileage of 38.2 which is great! I have got a 43.7 MPG trip through hills and curves also. I absolutely love the SYNC system! I don't know why people complain about the transmission or interior maybe they are use to buying vehicles that are cheaply made with no creature comforts. My 79 year old grandmother loves this car and she is a Caddy Queen!!! IMPRESSIVE!

Best car I've owned in a long time

by Corndogpilot from Townsend, ma on Tue Aug 23 2011

Traded in saab 95 turbo. The focus gives up little in performance, handles better, is quieter, and more comfortable. Reliability has been perfect in first 6 months. I have owned a wrx, Saab 95, and several other cars. Focus is the best so far

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 31

Our Take on the 2012 Ford Focus

Ford has significantly upped the ante in the compact-car segment with its redesigned 2012 Focus, which has taken a giant leap in terms of looks and quality.

When test-driving the 2012 Focus hatchback, I felt like I had two personalities, "College Sara" and "Family Sara." College Sara liked its updated, racy looks with its large grille and swoopy taillights, but it wasn't quick enough from a stop. It was better suited for the more rational Family Sara, who liked its cargo space and ease with which the hatchback handled child-safety seats — something College Sara wouldn't give a whit about.

The Focus has a 2.0-liter four-cylinder that lacks some zip off the line. Once I got going, I didn't feel... Read More