2017 Sonata Hybrid

4.8 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Amazing Hybrid Vehicle

by Wally World 1 from Port St Lucie, FL on July 19, 2017

The Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is the most amazing hybrid vehicle on the road. We looked at all of the hybrids on the market since my commute is 80 miles round trip every day on highway driving. After looking at horsepower, design, interior room, quality and price, we quickly narrowed it down to the Sonata or the Ioniq hybrid. We found more room in the Sonata, though the Ioniq was a great vehicle as well, though it had less room and lower horsepower, but did offer better mileage. The ride of the Sonata Hybrid is amazing, the interior is so roomy and comfortable, the dash is super high-tech and offers every option. This is not our first Hyundai, and the quality and design of the Hyundai really captures the market and meets all of our needs, especially comfort and mileage. I'm getting 45 MPG on the highway, and more than that on in-town driving. What a vehicle! Totally amazing! The warranty is better than anything on the market, and the final decision maker was the fact that the Hyundai Sonata Hybrid battery (very expensive to replace) is guaranteed for as long as you own the car, over and above the best warranty on the market.

Thrilled, so far

by Jim from Waukesha, WI on July 5, 2017

I drove a Prius for most of the last thirteen years, but I didn't like the interior styling of the 2017 models. However, I didn't want to take a big step back in gas mileage in my new car. Fortunately, I found -- and fell in love with -- the 2017 Hyundai Sonata Limited Hybrid. It's been getting 43-45 MPG (since purchasing in March), which is only a slight drop from the 45-50 MPG I'd experienced over the years with my Prius. This car has far more features than my Prius had -- including heated and cooled seats -- and the price was unbelievable! So far, so good... no regrets

2017 Sonata Hybrid

by tvbob from Los Angeles, CA on April 21, 2017

This is my second Sonata Hybrid. The 2017 is a major feature upgrade from my 2012 model. Enjoying it very much. Comfortable ride. Previous contact with Hyundai corporate on some minor issues with the 2012 showed a company that was willing (and often anxious) to resolve the issues and keep the customer satisfied.

Love my 2017 Sonata hybrid

by FLMOOGS from Miramar, Florida on February 5, 2018

Ok, the gadgetry took a while to get used to. But, now I am addicted to all of it. There are so many smart things that are not even mentioned in the descriptions. For example, when merging the vehicle not only sees cars in the blind spot but somehow discerns that the car 50 yards back is traveling so fast it is not safe to merge. Sweet! Back seat leg room incredible! Gas mileage around 40 mpg. But, I have gotten 50 mpg by paying strict attention to acceleration. When evacuating due to a Florida hurricane it was really fantastic not to have to worry about finding a gas station. My range is about 800 miles on with a full tank. Skip the extra blue link options.

Most comfortable and efficient car ever

by Easwooth from Plantation, FL on November 9, 2017

The interior room is unbelievable, comfortable for people in the back as well as in the front , I wish they offered the dark interior in the entry level trim, I like that it has the 2.0 liter engine and a proper transmission ( not a cvt) it makes all the difference and the hybrid battery has a lifetime warranty, can’t beat that.

Absolutely love this car

by Kimberlyk from on May 5, 2017

This car gets amazing mileage. Usually between 39 and 40 mpg. It is very comfortable. It's my second 2017 hybrid sonata as my first was totaled after only having it for 1.5 weeks. From that experience, I can tell you that it does very well keeping occupants safe in an accident. The car was totaled but no one was hurt at all. It's a great car!

Excellent car for value & nice ride.

by Godgal from Roseville, IL on March 6, 2017

I have had a 2013, 2015 & .now the 2017 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. I especially love the way the car rides & handles on the 2017. It's as nice as the more expensive models of other brands. Would buy this car again.

Nice car for the money

by Dano from Grand Junction, CO on July 7, 2017

I just purchased this car and took it on a 3000 mile road trip, the car was prefect, great millage even at 80 mph, which is in Utah, Montana, Idaho, it holds its speed well in the mountains and great for down hill because of the charging, I like how it is very quite and shuts off when stopped, and a smooth ride, brakes good had a few close calls.... all in all I'm happy.

Suprising vaule

by Cakennedy from Mesquite Texas on August 12, 2017

Exceeding our expections. Great milage on our recent 2,600 mile roadtrip with suprising room for a 6'2" adult and my 5'10" wife.

I used to love this car.

by Jake C. on March 4, 2018

I purchased this car in October 2017 and as of early March 2018, I have put about 3,200 miles on the vehicle. I purchased the car to be my daily commuter, but still large enough to carry the family around (2 kids and spouse) when we didn't want to take out our family SUV. I loved this car for the first three months I owned it. The fuel economy is great - I am getting about 42 mpg combined driving 80% highway in a mountainous location. The car is very comfortable and fits my family of 4 comfortably. The trunk fits our double stroller, which was a much for my new car. The infotainment center is intuitive and easy to use. The climate control panel is also simple and easy to use. Over the six months that I have owned the car, it has had to be returned to the shop 4 times. The first time was the day after I bought car and all four tires went flat and the dealer didn't remove some of the wrapping tape that was around the car when it shipped. Then in January, three months after purchase, it was very cold and I loaded up my two kids and the car wouldn't start. I got the car jumped and drove it around for about 30 minutes. Once I turned the off when I got home the car once again bricked. I had to get the car towed to the dealership and they told me it was an issue with the battery. So they replaced the battery and things worked well for a while. In February, I was contacted about a factory recall. The dealership told me that it would take less than 1 hour to complete, so I took a long lunch break. The repair ended up taking 4 hours and I was forced to take leave for my job due to their miscommunication. The inhibitor switch was replaced, but to this day I have not been able to track down the recall on this part of the car. In late February I was driving home around 10pm and all of the lights on the car - the highlights, dome lights, dash lights started flashing and strobing very intensely. The flashing was so intense the car is pretty much unable to be driven at night. I took the car to the dealership, which was an ordeal in itself, and they told me that the hybrid drive on the vehicle had gone out. It was explained to me that this piece acts like the alternator in a hybrid, but again I can't find any information online about this part. They are still waiting for the part to be delivered, but it looks like the car will be in the shop for at least 1 week. While I hope this resolves the problem, I have low expectations. I have contacted Hyundai USA HQ, but the case manager has not reached out to me yet. I am hoping they offer to buy the car back. I need a reliable vehicle and I purchased this car due to the supposed reliability of Hyundais and it looks like this work they are doing will diminish the value. I am very disappointed.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2 3 4 5