2013 Rio

2013 Kia Rio

2013 Kia Rio

Have you driven the 2013 Kia Rio?

My fun KIA RIO 2012

by MP from on Tue Jan 08 2013

I had a Toyota Yaris and it was time for a change. Whilst doing some research I came across the KIA RIO, loved it. I find my RIO smooth and comfortable. It is economic, stylish and sexy with heaps of features. However, It would've been nice if the front passenger seat could be raised too, like the driver's seat. Overall, good value for money!

Best car I've owned yet!

by Katie Eaton from Portsmouth, NH on Tue Apr 08 2014

If you had asked me 7 years ago if I would ever willingly buy a Kia, my answer would've been "heck no!". But let me tell you....I just bought my very first Kia and I'am in shock of how awesome it is. It's a 2013 Kia Rio LX (sedan) and it has 8,000 miles on it (I bought it used). It's sleek, stylish and sophisticated. It came with three months free of Sirius XM radio. The dash design/radio specs are sure to please the tech savvy, and its surprsingly roomy for a sub-compact car! Don't let the appearance of the outside of the trunk fool you either, it may appear short but once you open it you will see just how big, deep and spacious the trunk actually is! Great to fit a double stroller in! My Kia is a 6 speed automatic featuring triptronics so that you have the ability to shift like a manual if you so desire (love it). It also comes equipped with eco drive which is awesome in helping you save gas! The engine is quiet and just purrs while it;s running. But dont let the 1.6L engine fool you, it has a lot of pep and can get up and go! 4 cylinders are the way to go nowa-days! Believe me, I'd know: I traded in my Dodge Durango which had a V8 Magnum engine in for the kia ;) Kia has come a loooooong way. It's not what it use to be!

Ive done the math!

by Tony the Tiger from Pampanga, Philippines on Mon Jul 08 2013

Ive done a side by side comparison this car with the Ford Fiesta and the Nissan Sentra, and hands down the KIA Rio is the best car for my money! The U.S. A. rates this car as the best sedan in it's class and I tend to agree with them!

The (New Mini) Kia Rio5 2013

by Razer5 from Orange County, NY on Thu Mar 21 2013

Not bad for a commuter car! First of all, I would like to mention that I am a little over 6ft tall, and I fit comfortably in the car. I've been driving my Kia Rio5 for about a month. So Far, I've been averaging 37 mpg. Great value for the price. The car comes stocked with more amenities than I expected for a basic model. For example, the heated mirrors are a nice feature to have in the winters of the northeast. Also, the car handles well under extreme conditions. The only thing that I wish was standard on the basic model would be the Bluetooth feature. Overall, I am very pleased with the (new mini) Kia Rio5. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Happy with this car

by MattyRoss from Jersey City, NJ on Sat Sep 05 2015

I bought my hatchback LX new in 2013. I have 25000 miles on it now with no issues. I live in Jersey City and wanted a small car which would be easy to park each day on the street. The car is great for parallel parking. I mainly use it to get back and fourth to work out in the meadowlands. It handles very well and the small engine has enough pep to help make quick maneuvers when needed. I don't recommend the Eco mode. It takes all that pep out of the car. For such a little car, the interior is quite roomy and smartly put together. I've had the car loaded with four people and everyone was quite comfortable. I've taken some long 13 hour trips down south and the seats are comfortable enough. No vehicle is really comfortable after driving that many hours. The ride is a little stiff but better than a Mini or Honda Fit. The handling is great but not exactly sporty. The engine has a tendency to growl even at lower speeds. The previous cars I've owned are mazda3, ford focus, Honda civic, Nissan sentra and this car certainly has the loudest engine. It's a bit whiney. The six speed automatic seems to be very smooth and adapts to driving habits. It's quite responsive. Just stay out of Eco Mode. The only thing you will find difficult is the visibility. The A-pillars are very thick so you really need to look carefully when say making a left turn to make sure there is no oncoming traffic hidden or pedestrians crossing the street to your left. You might not see them. The rear window is also small and this creates a well worked neck when backing up. My focus hatchback had much better visibility out the back. Lastly, fuel economy in the city, where I do most of my driving, is not impressive for a car this size. I get around 24-26 MPG. It's freaking incredible on the freeway though. I get around 40 MPG on those long drives to the southern part if the States. Perhaps I have bad driving habits around town, but the car does not return the fuel economy you would expect during city driving. Overall, I am very happy with this little car. The insurance on it is also reasonable.

Love my Kia

by Liz OH from Akron, OH on Sun Mar 12 2017

I'm bought my 2013 Kia Rio EX Eco in July 2012. Coming up on having it for 5 years, and have never had an issue. Biggest complaint is that a long (5+ hour drive) will hurt your rear, and that the passenger seat is pretty low sitting compared to the driver. I've put 65k miles on her and you can't beat the gas mileage and reliability. Not powerful, but that's exactly what I wanted (no accidental speeding tickets) - still handles high speeds well, and the slap shift makes it great in the snow.

Does not recommend this car!!

Small car BIG results

by The Beast from Panama City, FL on Sat Aug 03 2013

Great little car, has many great features from the sleek interior to the comfort you desire. Gets awesome gas mileage and is cost efficient even for the low income families. The technology packed into this car makes it a top rated family car with all the safety features built in. For those stubborn sharp turns or tight spaces, this car tackles them without a hesitation.

Excellent MPG for the Price

by tdsc hopkins from Hopkins, SC on Thu Sep 26 2013

ECO on the RIO LX allows you to get great MPG from this little commuter car. I average 36 mpg daily driving to and from work and shopping about 20 miles per day. Plenty of room throughout this small car in both the front and back. Only drawback for me is the 11 gallon tank that makes me have to stop driving to put another $27 in the tank. Before my Rio LX, I spent $80 a week on a truck. I cant list all of the benefits the LX offers and how much support KIA puts behind their cars, but I am very happy with my purchase.

German Design, Asian Reliability

by New Englander from Cambridge, MA on Fri Aug 18 2017

Best pound-for-pound small car you'll find. Kia poached lead designer Peter Schreyer from Volkswagen/Audi (designed the Audi TT) and this was an early effort for the Korean company. The car boasts a solid engine with timing chain, comfortable commute, strong mileage, bluetooth, backup camera, wireless calling, and with the seats down in back you can haul most of what you need around a city. Best features for the money in this price range. Stock tires will go sooner than they should but add Nokian All Weather WRG3s or Michelins and this car dominates the weather in Boston punching way above it's weight. Four years of daily driving around Boston and this car served above and beyond expectations with no issues. Good power to weight ratios make it fun to drive, easy move around the highway, zip down small city streets, and park in tight spaces. The Schreyer Rio does everything you need a city car to do and does all of it well - don't miss out on this diamond in the rough that is part of a Korean automobile revolution blending German design with Asian reliability.

Like a Teddy Bear

by Test Driver from New Orleans, LA on Wed Aug 07 2013

I have test driven a Ford Fiesta since April. I switched over to the Kia Rio in August 2013 as the Fiesta felt like a rough ride a little and I was having the brakes and rotors looked at. I rent and test drive the Kia Rio. I feel like I am in a strong bubble, the shock system is amazing and I feel minimal exterior road driving bumps, etc, I long term commute 100 miles a day. My only con is that it doesn't have cruise control, I would like to see cup holders in the doors like the fiesta. The air conditioning in the Rio is bar none.....I was very impressed on how the car cooled up so fast. I have been driving the Rio a few weeks now.....so far so good......

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2013 Kia Rio

Editor's note: This review was written in May 2012 about the 2012 Kia Rio. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2013, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

Editor's note: Estimated mileage ratings have been lowered to reflect a November 2012 EPA audit of this car's stated mileage.

Up against elevated gas prices, car shoppers should take comfort in the fact they don't have to pay a premium for a hybrid to save money at the pump. There's a new crowd of subcompact and compact cars that are fuel-efficient, start below $15,000 and dispel some outdated notions about small cars. Available in sedan and four-door hatchback body styles... Read More