2008 Nissan Versa consumer reviews

Explore the 2008 Nissan Versa
Shop the 2008 Nissan Versa
4.0

Surprized by Versa

Usually not my type of car but very reliable, lots of leg room & comfortable for a small car, great on mileage. Friends & family are surprized after riding in it & say they would buy one.

Looks small but very spacious and useful

Hatchback is very useful and gas-saving. Has enough leg room. Smooth and light. Worth for the money. Love the car!

Great vehicle

Pros: lots of room, good pickup, dependable, economical (29 MPG in city). Cons: high revving 6 speed, clunkcing during fast acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear Overall: great buy

4.3

Fighting the gas fight!

2009 Versa bought it second hand with only 47k mi. and was a great buy @ 7000.00. Two year old vehicle @ the fraction of the price.

Some parts may be on the cheap, but a GREAT car!!!

I have a 2008 Versa SL, I bought it with 19000 miles and it's now at 30000. The first thing you'll notice when you get it on the interstate is that the thing goes 80mph no problem and doesn't shake. The keyless entry and bluetooth are AWESOME. The only problem is the "clunk" when I turn. They replaced the strut bearings in the steering column once a few months ago and I hear the thumping again. If you are a lead-foot you won't get 25 mpg out of the car. If you're gentle it'll get you 30 mpg. Roomy interior, and cmon the exterior design grows on you once you drive it for a while! Seems very reliable so far.

3.4

Does not get 31mpg

Hatchback version. Advertised at 31mpg highway, but I haven't gotten better than 28 & drive 90% highway. Handles like a toy in high winds. Otherwise, it's great - super roomy, peppy, comfy seats, easy to get in and out of. Would like to see better gas mileage and flat/level trunk space with back seats folded down. Then it'd get 5 stars.

3.7

Nice Car

I drove my 2009 SL hatchback from Florida to Minnesota last week. The high point of this car is the CVT transmission. Extremely smooth. I set the cruise on 75 going through Tennessee mountains and it purred up and down the interstate. Incredibly smooth ride. You never hear or feel the shifting. Plenty of power in the 1.8 around town and on the freeway. This car takes a bit of getting used to. You have to feel the your way into braking. The first couple days I was jerky on the gas and brakes. Then got the hang of how it needs to be driven. The dashboard controls for IPOD, cruise, stereo, bluetooth and wipers are very efficient and easy to understand. I paired both our cell phones in about 2 minutes to the car system, however it only gives you 2 ring tone choices. I then built a phonebook for my phone (you have to do this by hand which is a little annoying, but you only do it once). And from then on, voice activated calling is a snap! And talking through the cars speaker system is great. Another cool feature of the SL model is the keyless ignition. You get used to that in about 1 day and never want to go back. Just keep the keyfob in your pocket and you can unlock your door and start your car without ever pulling your keys out. That is a really huge feature that is also a timesaver. The inside of the car is very spacious. Tons of legroom in the back seat for the kids. Seats fold down and up easily for mountain bike storage. I can throw my bike in the back without taking the front wheel off. Cross country I got 31 MPG with the Air Conditioning on. Downsides to the versa are that the external appeal is pretty limited. It's not an eye-catching car. Also, I didn't like the seat comfort, but my wife purchased some lumbar support seats that fit in and make the problem go away. All in all, this is a great car, I would say the high point is the CVT engine. Very Very smooth and great power for a smaller car.

4.0

surprising for what it is

We bought it used with 40,000. All the wife needed was basic transportation & she likes short hatchbacks. The good - I was amazed at how good it sticks to the road during windy rainstorms. Tons of passenger space even compared to bigger cars. Good view of the road as it sits pretty high for a car. The bad - weak motor. Not bad overall, but when you need power on the hills, this isn't your vehicle. Trunk space on this hatchback is smaller than most, but it does have more than it looks like. Overall, if you're looking for a decent vehicle to haul around the kids and do some shopping or commuting, this may be worth a look.

1.3

Very disappointed

The seats are fine for short trips, but extremely uncomfortable when driving or riding for more than 30 minutes. If your shoe size is larger than 11, you'll have a tough time working the pedals. Fortunately I'm not the primary driver. We've had the radio replaced 3 times in 2 years. The display just starts scrambling characters after a few months each time. With this third radio, nothing is scrambled yet, but the RDBMS information has already stopped working. We've had the fuel pump replaced 4 times in 2 years. Each one lasts 6 months or so and then the car refuses to start. The little "Nissan" caps in the middle of the wheel covers just fall off randomly, despite the fact that the car is not driven harshly. We've already had to have 2 front end alignments in 2 years. Again, this isn't due to driving habits. We've had many cars over the years, and have NEVER had to have front end alignments this early in their life. The gas mileage is absolutely horrible. We're lucky to get in the mid 20s even on the highway. We also own a Mustang with a 4.0 liter engine. It's averaging better gas mileage than the Versa in similar driving conditions. When the rear wiper wears out, you have to have the dealer replace the entire arm. You can't just replace the wiper blade. This is an inconvenience and an unnecessary expense. The only good thing I can say is that the engine is pretty peppy if you can get the car started.

1.6

Beware: Duct tape not included

Where do I start? the stereo buttons broke off, volume knob doesn't work. Rear wiper fell off (entire assembly is ABS plastic, no metal), steering wheel is peeling at <10,000 miles, AC smells like burnt plastic, sharp unfinished plastic interior panels. Engine knocks (mornings sounds like a diesel), Burns oil, 1 qt every ~1500 miles. I'm 6 ft tall and the only comfortable place for me is in the back seat, so if you don't mind not driving your own car, or you are an alcoholic, or if you are short and have tall friends, this car is perfect. They sacrificed trunk space AND front passenger leg room for rear leg room. Horrible performance, we took the car to Vegas, and we stopped in Henderson. After 6 hours on the road, the car had absolutely no power! I seriously had to step on the gas all the way and nearly redline it so it would move. MPG's were horrible too, honestly, I got 26 mpg (308 miles on 12.2 gallons of gas). But seriously, avoid this funky little car. Poor quality, poor MPG's, overall a poor value. Oh yeah, it handles horribly in the snow,