2019 Subaru Ascent consumer reviews

side view of 2019 Ascent Subaru
Explore the 2019 Subaru Ascent
Shop the 2019 Subaru Ascent
3.3

Nice car but has serious issues

Subaru Ascent limited 2019. Sunroof issues, transmission harness issues, electrical problems with driver side window, eyesight camera failures. I am sure theses will be corrected but you will find the 2019 is not worth the grief you will face. Been in the shop several times for weeks.

Most reliable car I’ve owned

This car met all my needs, has plenty of room for seven passengers enough cup holders USB ports I’m very happy with the technology as well

2.9

Jack of most trades, master of none

We stepped out of our comfort zone to buy a Subaru Ascent, as opposed to a CX-9, or a VW Atlas ( we decided to go more mainstream from a high-end German SUV). We'd spoken to a lot of neighbors and Friends who really love their Subarus, and we thought we would try one. we read some good reviews as well and decided it would be a decent compromise. The car has not stranded us, but it has had numerous issues, including shuttering at low speeds in the transmission, air conditioning that takes 10 minutes or more to begin blowing cool air (dealership claims this is normal), cooling fans for the air-conditioned seats that sound like they are ripping something up inside the seats (every car we have owned has had air-conditioned seats, and they've all been silent, this one is loud enough to interfere with conversation). Passengers in the second row claim the seats shutter/vibrate enough that it's uncomfortable to be in them when the car is at a stoplight. On cold days it sometimes takes 15 to 20 seconds for the engine to turn over, and it idles like a diesel sometimes in cool and cold weather. Having reviewed some consumer forums, these are things other people have noticed as well. I've had multiple exterior and interior trim pieces fall off the car at random times. The suspension is rather sloppy (although this does give the car a comfortable, but not sporty ride on many roads), and the steering is very darty at highway speeds, which requires constant correction on the highway, which is very unpleasant, although it's fine on local roads. the front suspension sounds very fragile, as if it's going to break over any kind of a bump, although it does absorb the impacts rather well. The engine is very loud and coarse sounding under any kind of acceleration, although it is actually very quiet when you are cruising at a constant speed. The seats are comfortable for relatively short trips, but are rather hard and are not comfortable for longer drives (we have the touring model with air conditioned seats, the seats are less hard on lower trim models). Seat heaters take about 5 minutes to do anything, and the heated steering wheel only heats up the sides of the wheel. We are lucky to get 21 or 22 miles per gallon on the highway, which is less than our full size V8 SUV was getting on the same roads. The interior controls, and the ergonomics are very intuitive, although all the interface buttons are a cheap feeling plastic. AV system and navigation are very intuitive, and the navigation system is actually very good for a factory system (graphics are poor, but the response and the accuracy of the system is good). Step-in height is about perfect for normal size adults. The visibility is very good, and the car is quiet when you're traveling at a steady speed. Adaptive cruise control and Lane keeping work effectively. This is not a fast car, but the engine is tuned for low-speed torque, and performs very well for what is required of it. Even with four people and luggage, we do not miss the v8 we had prior to this, even on large hills. Despite not looking like a very large car on the outside, it has a ton of room on the inside. Even in the top trim level, I would say the interior materials are durable, rather than luxurious. The stereo is terrible. It sounds like an AM radio with most forms of media. It's probably the worst audio system I've had in the past 15 years in a car. Three of my prior cars have had HK systems, and they've all been considerably better than this. If you enjoy driving, you would do well to consider a Mazda CX-9. It definitely punches above everything else in the price category. If you are Subaru Loyalists, and I understand that a lot of people who buy this car are, you will be happy with it. But I would really recommend that everybody take a longer test drive, including some highway time, to make sure this is the right one for you, because some of the quirks aren't apparent, even with the hour-and-a-half test drive we took before we purchased the car. This really wasn't the right car for us. That does not make it a bad car, but we would not have purchased it if we had known about all the quality issues and Subaru quirks we would have to deal with once we owned it. I can really only recommend it to somebody who is a Subaru loyalist.

2.7

6000 miles need new transmission

I loved it at first but then it started to hesitate when I drove. Brought it in and they said I need a new transmission. What??? It’s grand freaking new!! Took 3 weeks to fix!

Wonderful Automobile!

Fantastic SUV! Plenty of room on the inside. Excellent safety features. So easy to drive. Just wish it got better gas mileage, but that will probably happen as I have only had the car for 3 months. So very pleased with this automobile. Would highly recommend it!

1.9

What a dud. Never again

First and last Subaru. Problems started at 100 miles on the odometer and kept getting worse. Transmission shuddering, lack of adapting to change of the throttle. Throttle response is trash, causing whiplash from a standstill with just minor tip in. Adaptive cruise control tried to kill me 2 times in traffic when it failed to pick up other vehicles changing lanes in front of me. Infotainment system was glitchy, with poor touch screen feedback that would also lock up and after disconnecting a phone call (if it ever picked up that the phone was actually connected) it would drive the stereo to 100% volume. Lane departure assist would randomly show "off" even when functioning normally. Worst part, the selling and servicing dealer practically refused to deal with me or the vehicle after the deal was done. Avoid this heap at all costs and buy something that wont put your family at risk!

Best car I've ever owned

Great SUV so happy with my purchase exactly what I wanted comfortable and affordable very nice to drive and own my children love to go places in our Subaru

1.7

Wet disappointed with this vehicle!

From transmission problems to my lift gate constantly getting stuck and the only way to reset it is to remove the battery! Panoramic sunroof cracks within the first year for no reason (no point of impact on the glass) Very disappointed in Subaru’s quality!

The BEST car I ever had!

I’ve been waiting for an SUV that was stylish, practical, economical and comfortable. After reading Consumer Report ratings on New SUV’s, I kept my eye out for the Ascents arrival. It was Everything that CR reported.

very easy to learn the technological process

I love the way it handles, I also love the two-toned interior. lots of ports available, easy to get in and out of. Lots of cargo room