2019 Subaru Ascent consumer reviews

side view of 2019 Ascent Subaru
Explore the 2019 Subaru Ascent
Shop the 2019 Subaru Ascent

Great 3rd row vehicle. Mileage is worrying

If you need a third-row vehicle that is not a land barge, this is for you. Just beware of poor mileage. Plenty of room even with the third row in use. The Touring package is very luxurious. Bigger than the Mazda CX-9, but nothing near Suburban territory, this vehicle strikes a perfect middle ground. Really, its a perfect car for the kid'n'dog crowd. Things we LOVE: Lane keep assist and active cruise control. Leather seats are very comfortable. Wide doors. Good towing capacity. Good (Harmon Kardon) sound system. Captain's chair option!! Styling, interior and exterior. Has a CD player. Good power. Built-in rear-window shades. All in all, it is just great. Some minor ISSUES: The car is tall and you can't remove the roof rails. Seat memory doesn't keep track of the side-rear view mirrors. Keyless entry by touch doesn't work on back-door handles. Seat vent motors are a little loud sometimes. Rearview mirror vibrates easily. Major issue: MILEAGE is far WORSE than advertised. 22-23 mpg combined (as stated on this site) is a joke. We are barely getting 14 mpg in the city, at best, and 22-24 on the highway. If your "combined" driving leans more on the city side, you will be getting mid-teens mpg at best. Be warned. I don't know if the EPA calculations assume no one and nothing is in the car but the driver, but that seems to be a big problem is cargo. Mileage is OK when it is just me in the car. Add spouse, two kids, car seats, strollers and a dog, and you will be sucking gas. Also, if you ever use remote start or idle a lot at red lights (no auto start/stop on this car) you could be in the 12 mpg range for city driving on average!! The GAS TANK CAPACITY is also TINY. 19 gallons. At best. If you're getting 14 mpg in the city, that means you will be filling up every 260-275 miles. If you drive 15-20 miles a day, that's every week and a half filling up. I came from a VW Touareg TDI with a 26 gallon tank that go 19 mpg city and filled up every three weeks usually. So, prepare to spend a lot of time at the gas station. We bought this car anticipating getting at least the 16 mpg advertised for the city, so we are very disappointed, just in terms of cost and annoyance of frequent fueling, to say nothing of the environmental consequences. When some less expensive 3rd-row PHEV vehicles come on the market, we will likely switch this out. I shudder when I think about gas going back up in price. All in all, we love this car except for the mileage.

Most enjoyable car I’ve ever owned

The 2019 Subaru Ascent is by my the most enjoyable can I’ve ever owned. The touring version was worth the extra cost for its comfort and features

One of the best I have ever owned

Handling excellent acceleration out standing Just to dark inside , As no choices wish they had a few options of interiors. top of the line as no options

4.3

LOVE my car!

I recently purchased a 2019 Subaru Ascent Limited Edition and added a moon roof. I love this car! It is my second Subaru and I cannot complain. I love the room for people and cargo. It's so nice to go grocery shopping and not kill my back bending into a deep trunk. The bells and whistles are amazing too. One of my favorite functions is being able to hook up my phone and be completely hands free. The one negative that I have noticed so far, is that the phone doesn't always sync the phonebook.

What a surprise!

The car is a surprise! I wasn't expecting such power from a 4-cyle. The addition of the turbo gives it amazing power. We purchased the Touring model and frankly, I love it! It has a smooth ride and extras galore! We traded in an Outback, along with our only means of towing. We purchased the tow package for our new Ascent (on Friday) and held our breath they'd be able to install it in time for our scheduled trip on Tuesday. We dropped the vehicle off Sunday night, so it would be first in on Monday morning. By 1:00 we got the call our vehicle was done😃.

Best SUV

Very roomy inside, easy controls and also a lot of leg room in the back seats. And it’s a Subaru, what else is there to say? I love all the improvements to the 2019 model, like the car play app, the opening of the gas tank (by tapping), the automatic door lock. My previous Subaru was a 2015 and these features were unavailable. I am so glad Subaru finally came back with a third row SUV after discontinuing the Tribeca.

Great SUV

We've only owned for two weeks but so far my wife and I are very, very happy with our new Ascent. It is a very high-tech vehicle with lots of safety features. The interior is very well appointed and comfortable. Fuel economy so far is better than expected.

Can't wait to drive it home!

The Ascent is a step up from my current Outback. I wanted something with more room. I love the safety of the Subaru and I'm so glad that they have come out with a larger vehicle.

A Great SUV

This car is loaded with features, but more importantly it is a Subaru... and to me that spells reliability. The car is well appointed, handles like a dream, and is quite responsive for a fairly large 4-cylinder vehicle.

I have ascended to the pinnacle with the Ascent

This car is awesome. First the Touring package is well worth the increased cost. The front facing camera and camera rear view mirror make everything so much easier. It is an extremely roomy vehicle with tech for days. The ride is second to none and one of the most comfortable vehicles I have ever driven. Would recommend this vehicle to everyone, great experience so far.