2018 Outback

2018 Subaru Outback

2018 Subaru Outback

Have You Driven the 2018 Subaru Outback?

Wow. Best kept secret in the automotive world!!!!

by Subie Duuuuuu from Conroe, Texas on Tue Mar 20 2018

Our 1st Suburu (2018 Outback Touring 2.1l) and we're over the top in love. Having owned quite the variety of suv's, trucks and cars we do believe we've found "the one". Beautiful interior, safe, spacious, comfortable, a blast to drive, great mpg, awesome sound system and technology. Love the high ground clearance and all wheel drive. Low center of gravity makes it hug the curves and gives easy entry and exit. So happy to own our Suburu.

Really Good Handling

by Happy Camper from Newark, DE on Sun Sep 17 2017

Love driving this car! It's comfortable, but also rugged. Feels roomy, even though I'm tall and long-legged. The Car Play feature is so cool! There's a USB port for the back passengers. Safety features are fantastic. So glad we chose this car.

Comfortable and roomy

by TybeeDog from Atlanta, GA 30328 on Mon Oct 30 2017

The car is roomy enough to carry a large wheelchair for my special needs sister. It is sporty enough to carry my 16ft kayaks on top.

New owner

by Subaru 25 from Columbia, Maryland on Tue Mar 13 2018

So far so good. I haven't had the car long so I can't speak to reliability but neither can most others since it's a 2018. I think the base model is really a great deal. Coming from a base Forester, I feel like I'm drive luxury car. But I buy Subaru mainly for it's utility and functionality. Growing up on snowy roads, I know the disadvantages one faces with fwd or low ground clearance. I also fly fish and have to occasionally drive fire roads so the awd comes in handy there as well. The car is also quiet to drive which is nice. Outside of it's functionality, I really like the technology of the touch screen and android auto. The instrument panel is really cool as well. Directly in front of the steering wheel you can toggle between different digital screens ranging from tire psi readings, to what music you're listening too and more.

Best of all I drove

by 3tees from Milwaukee, Wi on Sun Mar 25 2018

I chose this car after test driving Ford, Lexus, Mazda, Toyota, and Honda crossover equivalents. Hands down best drive, visibility, power, quiet, comfort. I got one with the 3.6 6-cylinder engine. A lot quieter than any turbo 4 cylinder and far better low end torque and power.

I had to replace my 2010 Outback

by Carmel from Chaptico MD on Wed Oct 18 2017

When I had to replace my previous Outback, I didn't think twice about buying any other vehicle. The new features are quite amazing! I was never particularly attached to any car until I bought my 2010 model.

Second Outback 3.6R Owned

by Outback Driver from Ohio on Sat May 12 2018

We purchased a 3.6R Limited in April (with April build date). Here are our observations. Where appropriate we compare to our 2012 Outback which our daughter now drives. Acceleration (8 out of 10): Smooth acceleration with the six cylinder and CVT. Smoother than five speed auto in 2012. Passing power is excellent with no hesitation. Transmission (7 out of 10): The CVT is well muted with only a bit of a hum up to twenty-five miles an hour when first accelerating, otherwise is very livable. Front seat comfort (9 out of 10): Tall people (even those 6'5") will fit in the vehicle despite the standard moonroof on the 3.6R. Back support is very good and lumbar is also appreciated for those with back issues. Rear seat comfort (8 out of 10): There is plenty of rear seat room even when a tall person is seated in front. Seats are well padded and in the 3.6R standard there are seat heaters, even on two outboard rear seats. In the upper trim levels rear ducts are also provided; an improvement over our 2012 model. Fuel Economy (8 out of 10): The CVT helps here and we have been averaging 23.5 miles per gallon in mixed driving. We averaged over the EPA estimate of 27 MPG on the highway. Ride Quality (6 out of 10): the 2018 3.6R rides on 18 inch wheels. This coupled with the suspension provides a great highway and smooth surface ride. Living in Ohio with local roads that are sometimes bumpy, this Outback allows more bumps to be felt. It's not uncomfortable, but not nearly as smooth as our 2012 model with 17 inch wheels. Unfortunately if you want a 2018 Outback with the six cylinder engine, you will have to live with the 18 inch wheels. Handling (7 out of 10): Despite its tall stance, the 2018 Outback handles well in the corners with modest body lean, comparable to our 2012 3.6R. For what it is the Outback handles better than most mid-size SUVs and crossovers. Build Quality (8 out of 10): Overall, everything fits together pretty well so far with no rattles/air leaks. There are visible gaps in the hood from the drivers seat when looking towards the left side under the windshield wiper housing. Subaru contends this is normal. This is not the result of poor build quality as gaps are even throughout. The leather seats in black smudge easily and don't clean up as well as those in our 2012, but overall things inside and out are fairly well done. Technology (6 out of 10): We opted not to get Eyesight, but the Limited 3.6R does come with standard blind spot protection, rear cross traffic alert and lane change assist. These work well. The blind spot monitor in particular has been moved to the inside of the side view mirror, which is a great location. The stereo head unit has some issues. First the sound quality for the Harmon Kardon sound system is pretty good although the front speaker in the center of the dash dominates the sound and takes away from the experience. We've tried adjusting this by shifting more of the sound to the rear, which helped a bit. The CD player is flimsy, although I'm grateful Subaru still provides one unlike upper trim levels of the Rav4, Tucson, Mazda CX-5 or CRV. Two times the CD player has not worked and I have had to reinsert the disc to get it to play. Subaru tells me there is a fix for this and it came out mid-2017. Why would this not already be incorporated into a vehicle built in April 2018? The unit has dropped pairing with my Android phone once so far, unlike my 2012 which never dropped in six years. On the plus side the audible text message feature works well and allows for canned responses. Visibility (10 out of 10): Excellent visibility throughout, aided by vehicle shape. Competitors have more blind spots. The 3.6R Limited Outback comes with LED headlights which makes a huge difference when driving at night. Cargo Room (9 out of 10): There is plenty of space with the rear seats folded up for a family of four on a road trip. I hauled over 15 bags of mulch with the rear seats folded down (and could have fit four or five more bags). The Outback Limited still comes with the handy folding roof cross bars. Overall we are happy with our purchase given six cylinder will likely no longer be offered past 2019. We tested many vehicles (RAV4 - noisy/cheap interior, CRV - did not want turbo engine, CX5 - nice but lacked rear seat room). Also, unlike some American nameplates (Equinox, Buick Envision), Outback is built in USA not Canada, Mexico or China.

One if the best SUV values for the money.

by PAR - Golf & Raider fan for life from Bluffton, SC on Mon Oct 02 2017

Met all the options I was looking for and has a very high safety rating. Smooth ride and good visibility all around. Has more room than most SUV's in it's class. Features like roof rack, are always available and stored in the vehicle for convenience.

1st Subaru that I have owned. Previous car was a H

by Retired school nurse from Palos park ,Illinois on Sun Nov 19 2017

Has a very smooth ride. Handles well on the road. The heated seats are great . Love having the hands free phone and navigation system.

Subaru is The winner after 20+ Toyota years

by KarenG from St. George, UT on Fri Apr 13 2018

Loving my new Outback! Everyone I mention it to as my new car choice says they only hear good things about it. Here’s to a long life together!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 36

Our Take on the 2018 Subaru Outback

The verdict:

The Subaru Outback offers a blend of two worlds: It's rugged-looking and capable outside, and it provides just the right balance of comfort and coddling inside.

Versus the competition:

The Outback blurs the line between wagon and SUV, but it's more affordable than similarly sized SUVs and just as capable and practical.

Minor updates for the 2018 Subaru Outback make an already good thing better. Subtle styling tweaks — like more angular headlights and a slightly larger grille — maintain the Outback's clean, unfussy design, while an updated multimedia system and retuned transmission improve usability and drivability. Compare the 2017 and 2018 models here.

The Subaru Outback's most direct competitor — spiritually if not in size — is the VW Golf Alltrack, another tall wagon with AWD. The Outback also competes against more traditional mid-size SUVs like the Ford Edge and Jeep Cherokee. Compare them here.

Boring? Not So Fast