2006 Tundra

4.8 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Great Truck!

by mr_savvy from Upstate NY on October 6, 2009

I bought my Tundra used last spring with 36K miles to use in my landscape business and all-around driving. It's been great. It's comfortable and very capable. Pulls my loaded landscape trailer without a wimper and gets better gas milage loaded than my V-6 Ranger did empty. Roomy, comfortable interior; smooth, quiet ride and descent performance. I drove a Chevy, GMC and Ford F-150 before buying this truck. My wife settled it when she could easily see over the dash without power seats which she couldn't do with the Chevy or GMC.

Toyota Tundra Like a Rock

by Happy Owner from Hanover, PA on September 1, 2009

I purchased the Toyota Tundra pickup crew cab with the Off Road package in the spring of this year. The comfort and ride is unbelievable. I have traveled aprox 6,000 miles so far and the fuel milage is great around 19 miles per gallon with the off road tires and four wheel drive, The engine is very responsive and will light the tires up if you don't watch it. The cab is very roomy and the entire width of the back window goes down (THIS IS A GREAT OPTION), this works perfect when you hall 16 ft length lumber. I changed the oil and the filter access is so easy to get to from the top of the engine, you do not have to lay on the ground. The transmission is so responsive when climbing steep hills the transmission stays in a lower gear to provide excellent power when climbing and then down shift automatic when going down the other side. I am so happy that I purchased this vehicle and will keep for many years. This is the third toyota truck that I have owned in 20 years and very happy with the quality. Keep up the Good Work Toyota.

the best car I ever owned.

by Nikitas from Manalapan NJ on November 30, 2010

I was looking for a truck good enough to pull my 9000 Lb boat on trailer, in and out of the water as well as in the high way. Finally I dicited to buy the Tundra 06 new. That was the best thing as far as cars go, I ever have done.The truck performs better than I expected to.

Under rated truck!!

by Gene from Indianapolis,IN on February 16, 2011

Bought the truck with 28,000 miles, so far it runs smooth as ever. Love the captains chairs which come in handy for long trips. Motor has plenty of power for my daily needs. Access cab could have been a little bigger, but the rest of the interior is great. I'm looking forward to many years with this truck.

more trustworthy than my babysitter

by Daily truck tester from NYC metro area on May 6, 2007

Being a landscape contractor, I was worried this truck wouldn't be tough enough to withstand the day to day treatment of my crew and I. After 11 months, I have 22,000 miles on it already. Excepting regular fluid changes and a broken cigarette lighter they replaced for free, I've not had one problem. After owning 8 Ford/GM trucks of varying duty ratings, the amazing thing is that even with a ton of crushed stone, well spread out due to a much needed bed extender with the double cab 4wd model, , it still handles like a car. Quietest riding vehicle I've ever had. The wife can even handle it. Perfect for the working guy who wants to shuttle the family around on weekends. The 4.7 v8 is quiet, smooth and has power to spare, esp. with a light/med load. Rear retracting window is a godsend to handle pipes/planks or ladders. Only problems are transmission makes it feel like someone is tapping you in the rear, sometimes, at red light, brakes can be a little spongy feeling, but work well anyway. coffee cup can turn on ac accidentally. MPG is 13-14 town/16-18 highway. The easier you drive, the better the mileage. 4wd engages/disenges smoothly even at 60 mph. Turning radius is large and takes some getting used to. But with longest bed in 2006 w/double cab on any truck, you get used to it. It handles so well, it's not a problem. I recently drove a 2007, even better. for both years, toyota interviewed truckers to get the real lowdown on needs of the everyday worker, and it shows. Cupholders, storage compartments in every nook and fold forward back seats are all helpful and keep my crew happy. reccommend heavy duty batt/alt. set-up.It has a few DC outlets that come in handy, I often have computer, phone and GPS hooked up at one time. Beware of unneeded extra maint. offers you get bombarded with, however. Have driven safely with a full pallet of wallstone, (2500 lbs?), but with a minor weave. Truck is rated like 16-1700 lbs? If you simply maintain the fluids regularly, this baby is a good buy and should last for years. Am looking into dual exhaust for extra power/mph if possible. Heard it helps.

WOW!!!

by Raff from Medical Lake, WA on April 5, 2009

With our two boys at 11 and 13 and outgrowing her Liberty and my Cherokee and Ranger, we decided to get a bigger vehicle. My wife wanted an SUV, I wanted a 4-door pickup. We both won when she test drove this SR5 Tundra. Any and all thoughts of a SUV disappeared! It's loaded with cool options, is plenty powerful and rides like a car. The interior room is incredible....the boys will never outgrow it! We've only had it for a month now, and can't comment on durability, but Toyota's already done that. Give these a look!

I cant be without! Love it and no other will do!!!

by Better Safe than Sorry from Anaheim, Ca on February 12, 2008

Love it. we bought it in 2005 and we love it!! It's also known as the "too nice" truck!! So specious! Roommy! And is great for kids. I can honestly say, I feel safe, and to me, that's really BIG!

Nice Being "Above the Road", Than Before!

by "TJ" from Altamonte Springs, FL on April 18, 2011

Prior to driving my 2004, Pontiac Grand AM/GT, I had a 2004, Hyunda Santa Fe, SUV. Before that I had a 1994, Jeep Grand Cherokee. And before that, I had a 1992, Chevy Astro Van. So I really missed sitting in a vehicle that permitted to be relatively "higher up", allowing a better observation of the surrounding area and the road ahead. Furthermore, when driving or even riding in a raised vehicle that is behind another raised vehicle, e.g. a pick-up truck, your visability isn't blocked as much as it would be when being in a car. Also, I find in having a Tundra Truck as being a very practical piece of equipment! Particularly when it comes to moving supplies +/or large pieces of equipment/tools around. As well as favors for family & friends when it comes to moving a few pieces of furniture too! Overall, it's not bad on gas mileage for a V8 w/Towing Pkg.! It drives & runs smoothly! And has quite a few of the typical dashboard "Bells & Whistles"! Ironically, even the seats heat up! The way I look at it, more than likely...my next vehicle will be moving up from the Toyota Tundra that I currently have with the Access Cab, to the Toyota Tundra (4 Door) Crew Cab V8 w/Towing Pkg.

Drive all kinds of pickups but bought this one

by Wild Will from Douglasville Ga. on August 9, 2009

Rides like a Buick Century and pulls loads like a Mac Truck all with the simple needs, and luxury add ons, you could want. More truck for the money.

1st full size p/up after owning 2 mid-sized

by Grandpa; cycler and family man!!` from Greenville, NC (Raised in the Rockies) on January 22, 2007

Have owned a Nissan and Tacoma Pre-runner recently. Am 6'3" and the comfort of this vehicle is wonderful. Back-seat room (double cab)is also very remarkable. I have the LTD and love the extra features, though I have more on my LTD Freestyle and would hope Toyota would be a bit more generous when it comes to the LTD models. The power and feel is excellent. Visability from inside the vehicle into traffic, etc is superb. I have the double cab so the parking lot adjustments have been a new experience but are no longer a problem. My sons and doughters are very impressed with it, and when my oldest son (6"4" with long legs) gives me the thumbs up with "I would not change a thing" response I am pleased. He is a former Denali owner so comfort/room were key. I am still very impressed as I have only 500 miles on it as of jan 07. My experience with Toyota products (5 other Toyota vehicles) is all positive!! oh yea....Made in the USA!!??

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8