2018 Bmw 530 E

All Reviews

by from Kingston, Mass. on November 15, 2017

This is my seventh BMW over the years--3's, 5's, X's and Z's--and while it's still new to me, first impression is that it's the best yet! What jumps out is how amazingly quiet it is. The best part is the instant acceleration, no turbo spool-up delay, no hiccup and waiting for the car to decide if you really wanted to go after all--it just goes, no argument. And that's handy when you're trying to pull a heavy vehicle into traffic. I've read reviews that claim the steering is numb. I don't find it so. The car is readily responsive to the wheel, but it's a heavy beast at over 4200 pounds, and high school physics tells you it's just not going to feel or act like an e36 three-series, folks. But it's still a BMW and drives like one. I will say the 530e feels far more athletic than my previous Five-series diesel at just about the same weight, but still very solid and planted at over 80 mph (not that I was going over 80, officer...). The interior is amazing--ambient Disco lighting has come to BMW! Love it! The seats are the most comfortable I've yet had in a BMW. The touch screen is a big improvement, less fiddling with the iDrive controller. Haven't tried the Apple CarPlay yet, so can't speak to that. The standard stereo came with this particular model, and it's okay. Not great, but okay. If I'd had a choice--and I didnt--I'd go with the reasonably priced Harmon-Kardon upgrade (their top-end diamond system is likely a jaw-dropper, but for $4000, it'd better be!) My commute is 12 miles, and so far I'm doing around 70 mpge. Can't complain about that! I do wish the batteries had more range, but we're taking baby steps into the future of all-electric cars, and it's currently a weight and trunk-space trade-off. As the technology improves, so will the range, and for now, anything that helps kick up relatively non-polluting mileage is good for everyone. Overall, like almost everyone with a new vehicle, I'm infatuated with it, but I expect even as the newness wears off, this will turn into the BMW that will top my list of favorite cars.

by on November 7, 2017

Wanted a BMW 5 series but also wanted to make it as sporty as possible. By upgrading to the M package, it made a world of difference. I'm still evaluating the Hybrid technology but it feels pretty seamless from gas engine in transition and offers a boost when accelerating quickly. Even in auto mode where it controls moving between gas and battery, it really wants to just use the battery unless gas is absolutely necessary so it drains really quickly. Basically have to charge every night if you want to take full advantage. The interior is very well designed and the new touch screen display is clean, responsive and easy to navigate.

by from NarraganSett, RI on July 31, 2017

Went in to hug a 2017 BMW 5 series and was sold on the new 2018 BMW 530e and glad I did. It has been better than I could of imagined. I get 50 MPG and the hybrid engine is smooth and fast. It fits like a glove too. I have owned new 7 series and still own a 7 series. I much prefer the 5 with all the toys in it and the handling, although nothing compares to the 7 series comfort-- Which feels like you are driving on your favorite couch. The kicker too is that with the 530e, you get a $4,500 credit on your federal tax return and I believe more on your state return. I highly recommend.

by from Wichita, KS on August 16, 2017

We get more than 99 mpge due to our driving needs (short trips) and consistent use of a level 2 charger in our home garage. The 2018 BMW 530e is an ideal blend of luxury, technology, performance, and plug-in-hybrid electric driving. We researched the Volt, Prius Prime, and Audi A3 etron sportback but chose the BMW 530e because of its' build quality and roomy, elegant style. We are completely satisfied with our purchase!

by from Bergen County, NJ on September 19, 2017

Overall everything exceeds expectations, with one exception. I still don't have 1,000 miles on the car and it's been in service 2X for the Engine Emission Light. The first time I was told it was a "computer glitch". The second time (which is now going on day 3) I am told that one of the "connectors" is faulty. However, at this point in time the faulty connector has not been located.

by from Lexington, MA on February 14, 2018

I traded in a '18 Lexus es300h for the '18 BMW 530e. Many great features, like the outstanding HUD, quietness, and power. Biggest disappointment is the electric range. The car when fully charged shows 15 miles range on electric. By the time I'm out if the garage it shows 14 miles . After driving like I have raw eggs in the back seat at around 40mph on empty country road, the battery is depleted at 13 miles by the odometer. Now it costs me $0.95/ mile for electricity costing $0.16/ KWH at my condo. If I believe the sticker, the car in hybrid only mode gets 28mpg. This means it costs me $0.107/ mile with premium gas at $3/gal. Is it worth it when my Lexus got close to 40mpg as a hybrid? That would be around $0.07 per mile with gas costing $2.80/gal.

by from Palo Alto, CA on November 2, 2017

This car met most of my needs, extremely quiet, smooth ride, and it is electric hybrid so much less pollution.

by from CA on August 30, 2017

It's new but we love the technology and mileage so far. It's preforming great. Lots of torc in sport mode! Handles really well for such a luxe car!

by from Whittier, CA on April 16, 2018

This car is the perfect balance of performance and economy. I am getting over 50 mpg (combined) and not giving up any power or speed. Very comfortable ride, great handling and enough technology to satisfy anyone. Highly recommended.