2017 Volt

2017 Chevrolet Volt

2017 Chevrolet Volt

Have You Driven the 2017 Chevrolet Volt?

Best Daily Driver

by AKwong from on Fri Mar 24 2017

Coming from a Mercedes E320 (2001) and Audi A4 (2014), I can confidently say that the quality of the Volt is better in almost every aspect than any car you'll find in the same price range (after gov't & state rebates). The ride quality is what most surprises me. Having no engine and only one gear, accelerating and idling (lots of that in San Francisco) are smoother than any car with an internal combustion engine. Coupled with the fact that I'm getting an average of 300mpg and the Volt has become the best car I've ever owned. I knocked one star for performance because of how much power is used driving at modest highway speeds. The estimated 53 miles of electric range becomes just 35-40 miles when cruising at 70mph. On the other hand, I can consistently get over 60 miles of electric range when carefully driving locally or in traffic. Wish I had this car when I lived in LA!

Best 4dr passenger car ever.

by A Jaros from Metro Chicagoland on Thu Oct 19 2017

I've owned my 2017 Volt Premier with adaptive cruise control for 13 months. 21,100 miles of which 11,100 have been EV. 81 mpg overall. EV miles are daily metro Chicago commute and around town errands. Non-EV miles are all long distance road trips to northern WI (330 miles), upper Michigan (400 miles) and Tennessee (>500 miles). Pure EVs like the far more expensive and reportedly less reliable Tesla can't do what the Volt does, even in fair weather but especially in the northern winters that invariably take a toll on EV range. The Volt tracks solid as a rock, handles with aplomb, has jack rabbit acceleration from dead stop, great 2 lane highway passing ability, spacious front interior cabin, can haul a ton with back seats folded down, and front heated leather seats are very comfortable. Did I mention it is quiet? Driver and passenger can converse at speed using whispers. Loaded with safety features plus adaptive cruise control and lane keeping make the car semi-autonomous and tireless to drive 400-500 miles on one day road trips. I've owned the original 2 seat Honda Insight hybrid (CVT; 2001), original Gen 1 Prius (a 2002), Gen 2 Prius (2004), and a Gen 1(b) Volt (2013) together with a host of gasoline-powered passenger cars (Chrysler/Mercury), vans (Chevy), AWD minivans (Astro and Venture) and compact SUV (2015 Subaru Forester). The 2017 Volt is easily my best vehicle. My 220v garage-situated charger takes advantage of Com Ed's RRTP wholesale pricing plan with very low wee hour rates so my EV travel "fuel"costs no more than 2.5 ¢ per mile. Moreover, no range anxiety or charging delays on road trips that have a 400 mile non-stop range on a full tank (8.9 gal) and a full charge. 5th seating position in middle of rear seat is only for baby/toddler safety seats and/or for pre-teens. Tall-torsoed folks don't have much head clearance if seated in the rear. No repair issues. Virtually no maintenance. One no-cost preventive recall re: cabling fix. Sophisticated nav, expressway traffic conditions, high quality sound system, Bluetooth, weather, and movie availability display on large, easy-to-use multi-function display.

Impressive and Extremely Refined

by Electric Car Enthusiast from Oakton, VA on Fri Sep 23 2016

I bought a 2017 Volt 2 weeks ago. The car has exceeded my expectations and has lived up to every positive review I had read on the car before buying. It is packed full of great technology and the adaptive cruise control is awesome. Bargain hard for a deal and the car is very affordable.

Best of both worlds

by Johnleo from Boca Raton. Florida on Sun Oct 13 2019

Purchased used with 27,000 miles. Commute to work with my Volt everyday. Never had to put gasoline in her once. A joy to drive, plug her in when I get home and she is ready in the morning.

The Chevy Volt surprised me

by Bware from Kenosha, WI on Sat Jul 22 2017

I've never been in a Volt before. The initial torque was quite nice. It's a smooth ride with many nice features (display and rear camera). The interior seems tight (I'm 6' and average size) with limited leg room in back.

Best car I've ever owned. Fun to drive!

by Dale D. from Santa Cruz, CA on Mon Jul 22 2019

This is truly an affordable electric. If you're like us and most of your trips are less than 50 miles, you'll rarely use gasoline. Car does not have the "latest" safety features, or ADAPTIVE cruise control, but current versions (like Honda Clarity) are costing nearly $40,000, and sadly Chevy has discontinued this vehicle.

Considering giving mine to kid and get another

by Mitch from Oelwein, IA on Fri Jul 19 2019

I drove it from northeast Iowa to north Carolina twice. Many places, especially in south east USA tourist traps, have free charging. My new job is offering me a dedicated free charging spot. I ate a factory outlet mall and let my car charge to 50% free before crossing Smoky mtns. Fantastic on those mountains. Able to regen going downhill at 75 mph. 1900 mile trip, and once I figured out to eat and free charge, I saved a couple gas tanks. I stopped for gas 4 times and hardly let it go below half. Mileage varies by outside temp. at 72 degrees, I can drive to county seat and back (53miles rnd trip) with 9 miles remaining. On a cold day or extremely hot day, I need a free 30 minute charge at the county court house while I go for eggrolls at Chinese restaurant. My first day driving in the country, the LED's in front flashed. There was no other traffic for miles. So, I stopped to check what was wrong in manual. I barely had my foot on the brake before deer jump in front. Missed them by inches. But, car paid for itself that day as the big deer here usually total cars and I would have been out the down payment and a car. There are other nice features for cold iowa driving. I call my car by cellphone and have it preheat my interior, seats, and stearing wheel while still connected to house power.

1 year, 12,000+ miles on '17 Volt

by C21vintage from Lakeport, CA on Tue Jun 06 2017

Love this car, no repairs req for first 12k miles, FAST, fun to drive, never buy gas unless I go on a long trip. In spring/fall driving without AC I ususally get closer to 60 miles/charge, A/C & heater cut into that but lowest ever was high 40's. Should have adjustable seat belt anchor, short people will be choked, must be corrected. Would like more sound proofing too but those are really my only complaints. No problem w visibility as I learned how to use mirrors long ago.

Best car I've ever had but is not cheap.

by Grant Sawyer from Portland, Or. on Wed May 01 2019

I got it using the $7,500 federal tax credit so my net cost was $30,000. So far 85% of miles driven were 100% electric. Love it!

Best Car I have owned in 35yrs

by CarstP from London, Ontario on Tue Mar 21 2017

The Volt is flawless. Compared to my 2008 Malibu the Volt pays me back 50% - 90% in fuel savings every time I drive it, with amazing power, pick up and fun to drive. The hatch back provides lots of cargo space. In 12mths driven 48,000k in allweather & terrain across North America

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Our Take on the 2017 Chevrolet Volt

The verdict:

Chevrolet has transformed the Volt from a quirky science experiment into an extremely impressive premium compact sedan, with far more refinement and usable technology than any of its competitors.

Versus the competition:

Competition is still not entirely an apples-to-apples comparison, as no car on the market can do what the Volt does – drive 50-plus miles on electric power only and continue to more than 400 miles at 42 mpg before needing refueling.

Editor’s note: This review was written in December 2015 for the all-new 2016 Chevrolet Volt. Nothing major has changed for 2017, but to see what’s new, click here. Or to see a side-by-side comparison of the two model years, click here.

The standard practice of many Japanese automakers is to change popular models minimally from generation to generation. It may seem obvious, but “fix only what’s broken” is not something American automakers often practice. Instead, they’re fans of the “start over and change everything” school of thought.

That’s why the 2016 Chevrolet Volt is a revelation: It’s an obvious, serious refinement of the current... Read More