2017 Volt

4.8 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Must drive it

by EZ Volt from Cleveland Ohio on July 21, 2016

I have put on just over 1000 miles on my new 2017 Volt. I had a 2013 Volt and thought it was great. This 2017 is better in every way. Loaded with features, comfortable and much more enjoyable to drive. With over 1000 miles I still have over a 1/4 tank of gas. The car has only a 9 gallon fuel tank. Do the math, it is extraordinary. The car needs to be driven. As quiet as anything on the road, regardless of price. Smooth and addicting to drive. Go beyond your fear of electric and drive it, you will not go back to the combustion engine. Oh and it is affordable. Factor in that you will seldom stop a a gas station and very little to no maintenance, My last volt 1 oil change in 3 years. Not one problem with the car at all. Driving past gas stations that I would stop at every week puts smile on my face every time. Go drive one!!

Loving the Volt... but now gas stations hate us!

by Cali Volt Owners from Livermore, CA on June 24, 2016

We purchased a new 2017 Chevy Volt Premier (with Pearl Tri-Coat) several weeks ago, and are loving it! The extras like the driver confidence packages I and II are well worth the extra amount, for increased safety. If someone is coming at you sideways as you're backing out of a parking spot, the car warns you with a beep. The back-up camera is excellent. Drive is so quiet, it makes the experience of getting from point A to point B that much more enjoyable. When test driving, we experienced the switch-over from Battery power to Gas power, and it was seamless. It seemed to have an ample amount of power, in both flat and hilly conditions, even after that switch. The EV range is great (~52 miles), and since we're not pushing it to the limit for the commute, we rarely have to switch to gas (have only done so once so far, for a longer day trip). We have gotten by with a regular 110V charge at night when rates are lower, and we can conveniently set it to time the charge to be completed by our departure time. The app that connects to the vehicle works nicely, as well. It warns you if you have not plugged in, to make sure you're ready to go. It is intuitive and easy to use. The electronics and dash / screen inside the car are also easy to navigate, and very straightforward. We are a Chevy family, so it felt familiar enough to us, right when we got in. No disappointments whatsoever with this vehicle -- we love the styling, features, safety, and performance. And we do not miss going to the gas station. The Volt has a nice little punch to it, when you push down the "gas" pedal. We expect not to have to add gas for many months -- so should really call it by its proper name, as an "accelerator." Of course, it is nice to have the gas motor to extend the overall range, when we need to take longer trips, without having to hunt for plug-ins and wait for it to charge, as you would with an full EV. Buy the 2017 Volt with confidence -- this is a great car at a great price, especially when you factor in the rebates! There is no need to wait for the next "latest / greatest" EV coming out. You can get yourself an excellent car that will get you FAR down the road on electric power (and farther with gas if you need it), right now!

Great vehicle

by diggin' my volt from Seattle, WA on May 13, 2016

I've only had it for a few weeks, so I can't speak to reliability despite this review forcing me to, but on the rest I'm in love with this car. I ot black Volt Premier 2017. NOT in love with Chevrolet dealers though -- I had to fly 300 miles to find a dealership that was actually communicative and helpful. I bought from them. All of the ones local to me (Seattle) either refused to answer basic questions or in a couple of cases were purposefully deceitful. RE: the car. - Really love it. I bought it because I couldn't reconcile the sticker shock on the Tesla X that I had been waiting for for 3 years, and am happy I did. - Interior and exterior styling is nice -- much nice in real life than in the photos, IMO. - I'm getting 55-60 miles per charge, which is great. I've used 0.6 gallons of gas in the past 3 weeks of daily use. When using gas, I'm getting >40mpg. Awesome. - It's not a Tesla in performance, but it's zippy enough for sure! - OnStar is a surprising delight. - Front seats are comfortable -- although not powered to save on weight, apparently. Back seats are usable but tight. There's no world in which 5 adults get into this car. - The hatchback is awesome. TONS of room for the size of the car. There are some annoyances - Won't remember to stay on the 12-amp charging setting. This is incredible annoying. - It's supposed to have Android Auto, but doesn't. I haven't really looked into this yet, but I'm hoping this is just a software upgrade. - Very very low ground clearance for aerodynamics. Speed bumps or steep roads invariably scrape the flexible wind barrier at the front of the car. There are some things I wish this had. It's a nice car, but it's not a luxury car. I have the Premier, and the speakers are only so-so which seems like an obvious miss. Bose should be embarrassed. Additionally, while it clearly has the capability for a more advanced driving assistance (e.g. lane-keeping on the highway), I suspect it has been purposefully crippled to reduce Chevy's liability. But overall I'd recommend this without hesitation. And I never, ever thought I would say that about a Chevy.

Best Daily Driver

by AKwong from on March 24, 2017

Coming from a Mercedes E320 (2001) and Audi A4 (2014), I can confidently say that the quality of the Volt is better in almost every aspect than any car you'll find in the same price range (after gov't & state rebates). The ride quality is what most surprises me. Having no engine and only one gear, accelerating and idling (lots of that in San Francisco) are smoother than any car with an internal combustion engine. Coupled with the fact that I'm getting an average of 300mpg and the Volt has become the best car I've ever owned. I knocked one star for performance because of how much power is used driving at modest highway speeds. The estimated 53 miles of electric range becomes just 35-40 miles when cruising at 70mph. On the other hand, I can consistently get over 60 miles of electric range when carefully driving locally or in traffic. Wish I had this car when I lived in LA!

Extended range on electric power!

by S in WSoCo from West Sonoma County, California on August 30, 2017

The car was purchased to do errands under 50 miles and, due to the extended battery capabilities, I have yet to put any gas into the car! The dashboard reads 250+ mpg so far. Because it is a plug in hybrid, my "range anxiety" is non existent. I am impressed with it's advanced technology and driving dynamics.

Most complicated car that I've owned

by Musty from Lake Oswego, OR on September 7, 2017

After two weeks this has lived up to the various reviews and official benchmarks (close to pure electric miles - 50-60 and gas mileage on freeway with some A/C driving mostly 65-70 mph got an indicated 42.6 mpg). We got the Premium version with just about all of the factory options. We are now getting used to keyless, all the safety features and switching between electric and gas). Charging at 8 amps takes the advertised 19 hours from empty and we are thinking about 240 Volt charger). Even in Oregon, chargin en route is difficult, so it is gas on the freeway, electric in town. Passing is easy and the seats are comfortable. The steering wheel is adjustable. Short people like the back seat, but we have not tried to fit a tall person yet. A reasonable amount of cargo fits in the back, but the hatch is hard to close. The hood is difficult to open and we are surprised that you can't get power seats. So mostly favorable with a few negatives.

Does not recommend this car!!

20K Miles and Still Loving It!

by Rayr3004 from Brookhaven, NY on July 2, 2017

I didn't know what to expect when purchasing this car. Having had a Prius prior to the Volt, I was worried about the dependability . I've had the car about a year and a half and only had one issue that was taken care of quickly. The main gripe I had was the build quality. I had many cabin rattle sounds from plastic on plastic vibrating, such as the fuse box cover on the dash board vibrating when going over bumps. Some sponge foam pieces took care of the noises and everything is quiet. My daily commute only uses half the battery and with my 240v charger I had installed, the car fully charges in 2hrs. On the weekends in-between errands I plug in to top off the battery and am good to go. When I need to take longer trips I don't have any range anxiety because I have the engine to extend my range to all I need. The car easily reaches the 53 electric miles promised. In the winter the range is lower, in the mid to high 40's, and in the summer it's in the mid to high 60's. The car rides firm and heavy and the steering feels great. Pickup is very normal and quick. There is a large blind spot made by the rear pillar, but the blind spot detection in the side view mirror helps with that. I love the style of the car. It's a hatchback that comes in handy when needed, but doesn't have the look that advertises that it's a hatchback. I've gotten many compliments from strangers , which I never received about my Prius. The first year I had the car I didn't make many long trips, so the fuel that came with the car lasted almost 1yr. Currently it's been about 4 months since I stopped at a gas station. I'm impressed since the car only has an 8.9 gal tank. If the engine doesn't go on after 6 weeks it will start to perform maintenance - which of course burns fuel. I never thought I would need that, but I have, many times. I can honestly say, with 20K miles driven, I'm very happy with my decision and still look forward to driving it each day.

Impressive and Extremely Refined

by Electric Car Enthusiast from Oakton, VA on September 23, 2016

I bought a 2017 Volt 2 weeks ago. The car has exceeded my expectations and has lived up to every positive review I had read on the car before buying. It is packed full of great technology and the adaptive cruise control is awesome. Bargain hard for a deal and the car is very affordable.

Wonderful car!!

by Ron/retired from Clermont, Florida on August 1, 2017

Could use a proportional paddle switch on steering wheel for regenerative breaking. Current switch is eather on or off and is too harsh.

Love the car but might not be for everyone

by HooveVoltFan from Detroit, MI on November 9, 2017

I love this car, but I recognize that done of the things I love about it others may hate. It is super quiet, no shifting, instant acceleration and nimble. If you want to drive a car like few others, get one with an electric power train. Plenty of space inside for me, but don't let the 5th seatbelt fool you, it only seats 4. I'm also saving about $100/month on has savings.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7