2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser consumer reviews

side view of 2006 PT Cruiser Chrysler
Explore the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Shop the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser

Great Car

So far I really have enjoy my purchase of this PT cruiser. I feel that the car has been taken care of by previous owners. I LOVE my little PT cruiser. From body style to the performance. Excellent vehicle.

4.0

Great Retro Fun

I bought this car 2 months ago - it's an '06 GT with the Getrag 5-speed, and had 55,000 miles on it when I bought it (I bought a 36 month MOPAR warranty). I am driving it to work daily, about 120 miles/week. I'm averaging about 22mpg or a little better with 89 octane, taking it relatively easy on the throttle. The performance is excellent, handling is good, and it has the feel of a nice, solid, sporty car. It was very well taken care of by the previous two owners, and it is visually like new. No problems yet. I was a little bit foolish in buying it exclusively based on internet information and reviews - I hadn't even sat in one before I went to the (out of state) dealership to pick it up. My only dissapointment has been the seating position. It feels too high to me, and the seats are not very comfortable or supportive. In fact, I can't pull up too close to traffic lights because I have to scrunch down to look up and see when the light turns green. But the car looks and drives great. I've had several compliments, and I have no regrets. The flexibility of the interior has also been a plus, as I often have to load up with golf clubs, boxes, suitcases, and such, and there is always a configuration that suits my needs. I like the small exterior size, too, which leaves plenty of space in my garage. In my opinion, the poor resale value is a real plus. I would not hesitate to recommend that someone find a low-mileage, clean used one, as a good everyday driver.

Great fun! Turbo is great!

Have owned for two years and no problems, Its a GT convertible with the high output 230hp engine. Boy what a difference that makes. Have driven other non-turbo models with average performance. Sort of blah. But the turbo changes its personality completely- for the good. Power heated leather seats add to the comfort. It has the AutoStick but why bother it shifts nicely by itself. Read where they put heavy duty axles and some beefed up suspension components on the GT models. Feels nice and solid. Bumps at slow speeds gives some cowl shake but doesn't at higher speeds. A lot smoother than a friends Mustang convertible which doesn't have a roll bar like the PT does. Easy folding power top plus it has a real rear glass window with defroster. Extra inner lining makes for quiet ride with top up. Really nice to have a power window switch to lower and raise all windows simultaneously. Have averaged 23.3 mpg with light cruising. A lot of times its around 20-21- too tempting to give it more throttle to feel the turbo rush. Top of the line models always seem to perform better overall than base models. For fun and easy cruising, the GT with the high output turbo is the way to go!

4.3

sharp

I'v had the PT Cruiser for one month,and like almost everything about it. However I don't know if there's any way to improve the shoddy gas mileage performance approx. 20 MPG avg.It loves gasoline. I used to have a Saab convertible that got 30 mpg on the highway so I guess I'm spoiled. So far this is my only comlpaint.

STYLISH AND EFFICENT

I enjoy driving mytouring cruiser, it very easy to manuever, looks great the sound system is great and the interior is comfortable

1.9

Worst Car I ever Owned dont buy one

I bought a 2006 PT cruiser years ago and regret ever setting eyes on it since then. The car was used but only had around 23k as I bought it from a college kid that only used it to go back and fourth to school. Honestly it was the most money I had ever spent on a car and I was hoping to get many years out of it. The AC went out at 32K and the motor finally burned up at around 45K. We took it to a shop but didn't bother to put another motor in it. Funny why Chrysler never warrentied these poor cars past 30k The car had zero getup and go but because it was a standard we learned to shift it better to make up for the cars poor acceleration. Seats were very uncomfortable on long car rides. Backing up at night was a pain because the reverse lights were all but a joke in the amount of light they put off. I doubt I will ever buy another Chrysler product.

WingNut

I couldn't ask for more in style and comfort. It's great. It's a 4 cylinder and the mileage is acceptable, but it's not speed demon, or power horse. I absolutely love it. Have a drop top and it's the best.

2.0

Run Away Quickly

This car has given me so many problems. The radiator fan on this car is total garbage. I have replaced four of them. The A/C system always gives me problems and the oxygen sensors always give me problems. I would not recommend this car to any friend of mine. I would recommend it to my enemies. They will be in a life of misery. I do not know how it is going to run from day to day.

4.0

Good car

Previous owner did not take care of the car. Not that we have shown it some love, it is a pretty good car.

3.0

Love/Hate relationship with my PT

I've been driving this car for 5 years, and I really do like it. It was a saving grace at just the right time and it's been incredibly reliable. Come to think of it, I owe her an oil change. It's a very dependable car and it does get really good gas mileage. The only thing I hate about car is the interior design. You drop something between the seats, BAM, it's gone. Don't even try to get it while you're driving, you have to pull over to fish it out. It's a hard car to keep clean. Think about all the things you drop while driving, you have to pull over every time. So while I do really like this car otherwise, it's dependable and sound, it's slightly annoying in the "everything is a curve" design flaw.