2007 Fit

4.6 out of 5 starsExterior Styling
4.4 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.8 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.8 out of 5 starsReliability

The little engine that could.

by ucbwill from Los Angeles on March 20, 2011

I just traded in my 2006 BMW Z4 Coupe for the '07 Honda Fit Sport. While the BMW was powerful and stylish, similar things could be said about the fit - and the mileage doesn't hurt one bit. The price is just right too. I was debating the fit over the civic for a used car; I decided to purchase the fit. It is great for commuting. I am averaging about 35mpg, but since I just got off the BMW I'm expecting the little engine to perform like the 270hp z4. Once I pulled back on the throttle and treating the car more like a commuter, it started to inch closer to that 40mpg mark. As for the styling, it's actually pretty nice for a budget car. Its dash is very nice with some blue lighting and a layout that seems very intuitive and easy for most to pick up on the go. It's got all the essentials (including a aux jack for your iPod) plus a really great sound system. All the mechanical parts are light and everything fits and closes just right. It's like the engineers actually made sense and designed this car in a logical manner. Bottom line, it's fun to drive, it's great on gas, fits the kids, has ample room in the trunk, has enough power for your daily commute, and it's economical! Drop those gas guzzlers and unnecessarily expensive cars for something useful. Did I mention it's a Low-Emissions Vehicle (LEV)?

Fun Little Car

by bluewingedolive from Rochester, MN on November 27, 2008

The Fit is just fun to drive. The two words I'd use to describe how it drives are 'eager' and 'nimble'. The transmission and engine combine to give the car its eagerness. The engine rev's willingly and the transmission shifts quickly and without fuss to give you the power you've asked for. The steering and the suspension combine to give the car its nimbleness. The steering is very quick requiring only small movements of the steering wheel to change direction. And the suspension has the ability to keep it glued to the road even when taking a corner faster than you really should be taking it. All of this is rather surprising in an economy car of modest price. It's also quiet on the highway and gets excellent mileage. My mileage on the highway varies between 36 and 39 mpg. The lower number at higher speeds (above 70 mph), and the higher number at loser speeds (below 70 mph). Around town in the summer it gets between 28 and 31 mpg - the higher number being more common. The car is also very utilitarian. My wife and I folded down the back seats and stowed our luggage, a rocking chair, a cello, a baby bassinet, and unreasonable amount of baby and maternity clothes in the back and made the trip from Minnesota to Pennsylvania to visit an expectant daughter. There was actually room to spare. I also like the layout of the instrument panel. The radio controls are within easy of the driver and the CD player will swallow an offered CD and play without having to push additional buttons. We recently took about a 2 hour trip with four adult males in the car. The back seat was comfortable enough with only a small compromise on the part of the person in the front seat in front of you. Criticisms? Sure there are some. The front seats don't have up and down positioning capabilities - and my wife finds them to be too low. Also there is no arm-rest for the driver or the front passenger over the console and the front cup holders are awkward to get at around the shift lever. And, some improved heat flow to the back seat passengers would be a good thing in our Minnesota winters. Overall, I like the car a lot and do not regret its purchase in the least. I would recommend it to others, and have done so.

rock-solid economy car

by Aeroplane from Connecticut on May 10, 2013

Just a stupid-good car. We bought a very lightly used 2007 in 2010 for roughly what a new Kia costs; this was the first car we'd ever spent a significant amount of money on. Totally worth it. Having now (2013) put over 100,000 miles on it, the only costs have been tires, brake pads, wipers, and fluids. Mechanics: rock solid, fast steering feels like you are driving a MUCH sportier car. I imagine a manual would really be fun. It's slightly underpowered (tends to bog down on hills), but it's an economy car, so that comes with the territory. Interior: Perfectly adequate. There are some creaks and groans occassionally, but again, comes with the territory. No adjustable delay on the wipers is kind of a pain, but everything else is intuitive and great. Truly amazing cargo space and flexibility for such a small car; we have gone to the airport with 3 adults, a toddler in car seat, and associated cargo for a week-long vacation, everything fit (2 checked bags, 2 large carryons, and about 5 full backpacks/totes included). The only real beef I have with the design is that the battery is undersized. It's a golf-cart battery, not a real car battery, and easily gives up the ghost after a long cold spell. If you can get one with a block heater though, I'd imagine that goes away.

AWESOME CAR: NUMERO UNO

by kmukh from Lansing, MI on April 3, 2007

I am having a fun time with my new Fit. Bought 4 days ago and already drove 900+ miles. The best thing about it (mine is a Sport version) is, I can drive in Manual or Auto transmission whenever I feel like. I am loving those peddle shifters and usally drive it in manual mode. The Fit (Sport version) comes loaded (no sun roof/moon roof and it's not required). What more can you want at that price and that too from Honda. I was kinda undecided (before buying) for the 1.5L engine and 109 hp, but Fit prove me wrong when I drove at 85mph without any problems. I drove in lanes between two huge semis (to check the drag), in rains, through stormy weather (wind speed 45mph), the handling is so smooth! Huge trunk space (42 cu. ft.), mp3 player with 200 watts, six airbags, fog lights, back, abs on all four wheels are some other features. Handling is smooth near turns and I am getting very good gas mileage (36mpg on freeway). For the features, comfort and performance it delivers, I wouldn't say this car pricey at all! My only complain is, whoever sees my car, tries to befriend me and go for a ride. *LOL* Oh well, this is Honda Fit.

Outstanding value, awesome car!

by Cloudmann from Saint Mary's, GA on April 25, 2007

My wife and I owned a three month old Yaris that just got totaled in an accident that was not our fault. We've had the opportunity to drive both cars extensively, and there is no comparison... this car delivers on EVERYTHING Honda promises. It handles great, has great acceleration, the ammenities are all there... stock (in the Sport model), safety features are excessive (but that's good), and Honda went a long way to make a $17,000 car look and feel like it's a $30,000 car, inside and out. Awesome. From the stylish, comfortable interior, tons of space, loads of options, nice sound system, to the stylish Euro look of the lights, and standard alloy rims (Sport, again), this car just oozes of quality and workmanship. Honda can't hold on to these, and Car and Driver gave this car it's best subcompact of 2007 award. All that and you get Honda reliability. 'Nuff said! The only thing I don't like is the rear drum brakes... WHY, WHY, WHY do car makers still use this outdated and less effective technology? I don't understand. Oh well. One gripe out of MANY pluses is a very fair trade... and really, this is my only gripe. HIGHLY recommended. Get this puppy loaded with ALL the options for about $18,000. Awesome deal!

Launched 4 years late, but finally in US!

by Ed from SF from San Francisco, CA on May 18, 2006

I live 2-3 months in Sao Paulo, Brazil, every year and the car that I've been driving there for the past 3 years is a Honda Fit. I guess it took high gas prices to Honda, Toyota with Yaris and Nissan with Versa to take some courage, trail the Scion success and bring these new "econoboxes" back. Unlike the ones of a decade and a half ago, they will surprise you with greater than expect seating space, big and cleaver cargo options and even peppy driving. The Fit passenger interior space feels bigger than previous Honda Civic, in special the back seat. Cargo configurations and space is definitely one of high points in this car. It has far more than my Subaru WRX station wagon. It will surprise you like a trunk of a Golf, square and deep towards the floor. This little car can even a little grim in your face when you lap around town. When I first drove it I was skeptical about the 1.4 liter engine that powers the Brazilian model. It is not in the WRX league (more than twice hps), but the matting of CVT transmission keeps the engine running on its sweet spot and performance is pretty peppy in urban driving and adequate on highway cruising. The car feels very nimble on its feet and adhesion it is just limited by those 14 in tires. Here, you guys get another 100cc of displacement (oh!)for extra power. I hope you guys get the CVT transmission too. One thing that took me while to get used, apart of smaller dimensions, is the absence of nose view. Perhaps more of psychological impression. If you see it you feel safer. Driving position is approaching minivan specs. You seat high. The Fit has been the most sold model in Japan and category leader in (Micro) minivan(?) in Brazil for years. I hope consumers in US will notice these new late arrivals logic/fun econoboxes and start to shy away from the non-sense, gas thirsty, never driven in the dirty SUVs. Another plus for US consumers. While here you pay 15.2K for the upscale model in Brazil the basic model will set you back 20k!

What You See...Is Not All You Get

by Barry from Bonny Doon, CA on December 29, 2009

After keeping 4 previous Hondas at least 8 years each, I decided that the key Honda ingredient is not something you can see or touch. Hondas just do what you need, when you need it, with no uncertainty. This is the kind of "BORING" that is very endearing. With 13k miles, the 2009 Fit Sport w. A/T and Nav looks like another winner. What you do "see" is a car that doesn't do anything poorly-no significant weak spots. In this size class, the Nissan Versa has a nicer interior, the Mazda 3 is faster, etc. But the Fit has probably the best overall balance of comfort, utility, performance, crash safety, styling, reliability, high gas mileage and low total cost of ownership. Sure it can be improved: 1.) I'd pay Honda a bit more for a nicer interior with less hard plastic! 2.) I'd also pay Honda more for a 6 speed automatic with a slightly more powerful engine that could somewhat improve both acceleration and gas mileage. 3.) They could also retune the suspenion and tire choice for a less choppy ride on poor surfaces. 4.) A little less twitchy-ness in 30 knot cross winds would also be a bonus-if the laws of physics can be modified for light, tall vehicles!! But none of these are deal breakers, because the Fit does so much so well at an attractive price. Not to mention that "invisible" benefit of taking the unnecessary automotive drama/trauma out of your life.

best value on the market

by Greybeard from Missouri (Misery) on August 29, 2010

I've got an 07 Sport model and I have put 125,000 miles on it with no problems. It has had a spark plug wrench on it, a lug wrench and a wrench for the oil plug. That is it. Absolutely no operating problems. Back tire wear has been a problem as I drive a lot of two lane blacktop that are rough. So what is new about that in Missouri? I am on my fourth set of tires and I finally followed some advice and am having them rotated at every oil change. I wish I had bought tires from a dealer that offered free rotation. The rotation seems to cure the wear frequency. The tire problem? The trailing arm suspension seems to be too short in the "07 models and earlier. The rear tires "cupped" and flat spots developed. The rear end just bounced around too much. I don't think the problem would be there with the newer ("08 and newer) models as the rear suspension was changed. I bought the car because, after research on the net, it seemed the best buy for the buck. My research was correct. It is almost exactly what I expected. I was not worried about sun roofs and such. Better front seats would be great, especially lumbar support. As with most cars, the seats are not especially great for 6'2 and above. Performance would be enhanced with a bigger engine, but the downside would be lower gas mileage. I just try to keep my "R's" up and select the right gearing. I never really realize I am in such a small, too ugly to be cute, vehicle until I get out of it. I am very pleased with my selection. I find if I drive like an old man I can get excellent gas mileage. Since I still seem to have the need for speed, I do about 30 to 33 on the highways. Do I recommend it? Yes. As a second car and an economy car it is great. I feel the need to keep a muscle car parked alongside it in the garage though. Would I buy another one? Let's just wait and see what is available when I wear this one out.

Super Versatile

by JK from Long Beach, CA on August 12, 2014

I was looking for a hatchback with tons of cargo space, great gas mileage, and great reliability ratings. My other car is a 96 Civic hatch. I absolutely love that car, but needed AC, and some cruise control in my life. The Fit was the next best thing. I've owned it for 2 weeks and I enjoy driving it. It fulfills everything on my list. Right now, I'm not getting the MPG I was hoping for, but it might be due to the oil the VW dealership has used (5W-30 instead of the 5W-20 it should have). If I can get this Fit to the mid 30s I would love it more. Right now we're in the high 20s.

Great, but wondering about the mileage......

by Former Minivan Mom Who Loves Red Cars from Naperville, IL on June 19, 2006

I traded in my old Minivan as I am no longer a Girl Scout leader. Spend lots of time tooling around town, sitting at lights, chose this over the hybrid. Love the red sporty look, the handling, the zip. Don't feel like I'm in a much smaller car except when I park in the garage and can easily get out without dinging the door! However, even at 700 miles, 2/3 of it a highway trip, I am not even getting 30 mpg. Yes, the a/c is on, but this is a pretty big disappointment. Hopefully it will improve.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8