2008 Versa

4.1

4 out of 5 stars Comfort
4 out of 5 stars Interior Design
4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have you driven the 2008 Nissan Versa?

surprising for what it is

by dan from etters, pa on Thu Oct 14 2010

We bought it used with 40,000. All the wife needed was basic transportation & she likes short hatchbacks. The good - I was amazed at how good it sticks to the road during windy rainstorms. Tons of passenger space even compared to bigger cars. Good view of the road as it sits pretty high for a car. The bad - weak motor. Not bad overall, but when you need power on the hills, this isn't your vehicle. Trunk space on this hatchback is smaller than most, but it does have more than it looks like. Overall, if you're looking for a decent vehicle to haul around the kids and do some shopping or commuting, this may be worth a look.

Nice Car

by smooth ride from MN on Sun Apr 24 2011

I drove my 2009 SL hatchback from Florida to Minnesota last week. The high point of this car is the CVT transmission. Extremely smooth. I set the cruise on 75 going through Tennessee mountains and it purred up and down the interstate. Incredibly smooth ride. You never hear or feel the shifting. Plenty of power in the 1.8 around town and on the freeway. This car takes a bit of getting used to. You have to feel the your way into braking. The first couple days I was jerky on the gas and brakes. Then got the hang of how it needs to be driven. The dashboard controls for IPOD, cruise, stereo, bluetooth and wipers are very efficient and easy to understand. I paired both our cell phones in about 2 minutes to the car system, however it only gives you 2 ring tone choices. I then built a phonebook for my phone (you have to do this by hand which is a little annoying, but you only do it once). And from then on, voice activated calling is a snap! And talking through the cars speaker system is great. Another cool feature of the SL model is the keyless ignition. You get used to that in about 1 day and never want to go back. Just keep the keyfob in your pocket and you can unlock your door and start your car without ever pulling your keys out. That is a really huge feature that is also a timesaver. The inside of the car is very spacious. Tons of legroom in the back seat for the kids. Seats fold down and up easily for mountain bike storage. I can throw my bike in the back without taking the front wheel off. Cross country I got 31 MPG with the Air Conditioning on. Downsides to the versa are that the external appeal is pretty limited. It's not an eye-catching car. Also, I didn't like the seat comfort, but my wife purchased some lumbar support seats that fit in and make the problem go away. All in all, this is a great car, I would say the high point is the CVT engine. Very Very smooth and great power for a smaller car.

Some parts may be on the cheap, but a GREAT car!!!

by MSB from Toledo, OH on Thu May 19 2011

I have a 2008 Versa SL, I bought it with 19000 miles and it's now at 30000. The first thing you'll notice when you get it on the interstate is that the thing goes 80mph no problem and doesn't shake. The keyless entry and bluetooth are AWESOME. The only problem is the "clunk" when I turn. They replaced the strut bearings in the steering column once a few months ago and I hear the thumping again. If you are a lead-foot you won't get 25 mpg out of the car. If you're gentle it'll get you 30 mpg. Roomy interior, and cmon the exterior design grows on you once you drive it for a while! Seems very reliable so far.

TONS OF INTERIOR ROOM

by Former Ford Festiva Driver! from Richmond, Virginia on Sat Mar 15 2008

I have four kids that all will obtain their driver's licenses within the next few years. My wife and I searched for a month for a vehicle that was small, economical and safe. We also needed to find a car that had lots of head and leg room....our 16 year old son is already over 6 ft. We checked out numerous subcompact cars (Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, Chevrolet Aveo, and the Kio Rio). The Nissan Versa by far had the most leg and head room in it's class. Surprisingly, the back seats had a ton of leg and head room too. Believe me, we "test fitted" ourselves into all the vehicles! The interior is simple and the dashboard has a more upscale appearance. We also are very pleased with the 6 airbags that come standard in the basic package. This alone helps us ease our worrys knowing our teenage children are a little bit safer. Although the gas mileage falls a little short of some of the other vehicles, the Versa is actually a bit larger. We purchased the base model Versa with the automatic transmission. The engine is peppy and accelerates well enough to get up to speed on the interstates. Overall, we are very pleased with our puchase and would recommend the Versa to anyone (especially taller drivers) who are in the market for a cheap, reliable mode of transportation.

Great car for the money.

by New Nissan Owner from Jacksonville, FL on Tue Sep 23 2008

I purchased a 2009 Versa Hatchback in August of this year. So far I am very pleased with the vehicle. I looked for months at other vehicles in this class and this is the one I decided on. Here's why: Lots and lots of room compared to other smaller vehicles like the kia, yaris, hyundai etc. The versa has more back seat room hands down! You can fit 4 adults very comfortably, 5 average adults can tollerate medium distance rides. 2 adults and a few children would have no issues. The sticker on the window stated this vehicle would get around 32-35 mpg on the highway. I drive almost entirely on the highway for work and unfortunately do not get near the 35 mark. I do get between 27 and 28 mpg. This may be due to traveling at speeds of 75 mph on occasion. In 6th gear I am just over 3000rpm going that fast. Still, it does have great mileage. The only issues I have had with it are the engine light went on due to not having the gas cap on tight enough. This problem fixed itself after tightening. The other issue was the tires seem to have a slow leak and the tire monitor light comes on. They are filled with nitrogen and should not be leaking this much but it is easy enough to fix. Put more air in the tire. The tire light on this vehicle is very sensitive and warns you with a 4-5 psi low indication. I found the vehicle fun to drive. I did purchase a 6 speed manual transmission. It has pretty good take off speed and even in 6th gear going 65mph I can zip around to pass other vehicles with ease without shifting down. Value for the money- My vehicle had the power package, cruise control, cd player and a few other small things all for less than the competitions base models. Overall, great value for the money.

Surprized by Versa

by thefrogman from New Jersey on Fri Jul 20 2012

Usually not my type of car but very reliable, lots of leg room & comfortable for a small car, great on mileage. Friends & family are surprized after riding in it & say they would buy one.

Looks small but very spacious and useful

by missingyou from on Fri Jun 15 2012

Hatchback is very useful and gas-saving. Has enough leg room. Smooth and light. Worth for the money. Love the car!

for a small car I was pleasantly surprised

by car guy from Livermore,CA. on Sun Dec 14 2008

purchased this car as a third vehicle to run errands around town for my wife and myself when gas was way up there. The car is so comfortable and fun/easy to drive we find we use it most of the time for most of our driving. I'm 6'2" and have pleanty of room with seating and we enjoy the up graded XM radio.

Basic, but terrific value

by hmar from Falls Church, VA on Fri Apr 09 2010

I spent $10k for a 2 year old car with 23k miles! Basic version is basic: my friends were all amazed that there were cars with roll down windows and manual locks (each door has to be manually locked/unlocked!). But the ride, the fit & finish, the engine, all are great. It was quite a step up from my '96 Saturn, so just getting a CD player might be clouding my evaluation! 24/32 MPG advertised, so far real world is more like 25/29-ish for the couple months we've been driving. Backseat room is especially great. I love that it's a hatchback instead of my sedan. Seat height and headroom make all seem roomy and tall.

great to bomb around in

by shawna1621 from Surrey on Sat Jun 10 2017

a basic car... not much for extras or bells and whistles but it went forever. drove it for ten years only changing oil, brakes and tires. I drove it into the ground and did no preventative maintainance yet it still purrs like a baby. best gas mileage ever

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2008 Nissan Versa

At first glance, you might think the Nissan Versa sedan is a subcompact — a really small car. However, there are two clear indications that the Versa is not "sub" anything: It has a cavernous interior and trunk, and when you park it next to another car, you quickly realize its significant size. How big is it? Less than an inch shorter than a Honda Civic and just two inches shorter than a Mazda3 — both of which are considered compact cars.

With its quality highway ride and tight handling the base-level S Versa sedan is a good value. However, when you move up to the SL trim the Versa's value doesn't hold up as well against the competition, including Nissan's own Sentra.

The Versa also... Read More