2017 Crosstrek

2017 Subaru Crosstrek

Have You Driven the 2017 Subaru Crosstrek?

Getting close to a self-driving car

by First Time Suburu Buyer from Lancaster County PA on Tue Apr 25 2017

Its very comfortable and easy to drive. I have never had a Suburu or any kind of SUV before, and I am glad I chose this one to be my first. There are so many safety features in this vehicle! In some ways, its like driving a big computer, and there is a bit of a steep learning curve. I am "informed" by Siri and/or a sound and/or a flashing screen of any lane departure that I have not signalled for or if a vehicle is in my blind spot. The cruise control automatically slows me down if I come up too close behind a slower moving vehicle. The high beam headlights dim automatically when another car approaches. The backup camera is a nice feature, too. The sound system is great. The only downside I can find so far in 3 weeks of driving this vehicle is the navigation system is not nearly as good as Google Maps, nor is it intuitively easy to use. Since I am directionally challenged, I need a great nav system so will probably go back to using the one on my phone with Google Maps. The interior is nicely done; I got the leather heated seats. They all seem to come with orange stiching; I could do without that but its OK. There is not much storage space in the front, though..the glove compartment is rather small and I am still trying to figure out where to fit in all my personal items. All in all, I am happy I have joined others in my family who swear they will always buy Suburus! I am longer the Outlier.

Utilitarian Fun in Just the Right Sized Package

by reddrgn from on Thu Jun 01 2017

I selected "Having Fun" as my primary use for this vehicle, because all of the options in the list apply to me except for towing (for now). I spend a lot of time on the road, anywhere from 400-600 miles per week for commuting and recreation, so I have to not only trust, but enjoy the vehicle that I am spending that much time in. Previously, that was 9 years in a 2008 Subaru Impreza sedan, and while I loved that car, what it lacked in space and convenience on the recreational and transporting friends and family in, the Crosstrek entirely makes up for! The Crosstrek features plenty of leg and head room, no matter where you sit, and the seats are comfortable. No climbing up or down to get in/out of the vehicle, either. For the average height person, it's all on the same plane, which is great for my older parents that typically had a tough time getting in/out of the Impreza. The interior is nicely accented, neither flashy nor dull, and all driver controls are within perfect reach and easy to use, except for the USB drive (there is only one and it's inside of the center console). There is plenty of room for all of our camping, hiking, and fishing gear; the fishing gear requiring the most space, as we are avid muskie hunters and pack several one piece 8'6" heavy rods with large reels, a large, heavy tackle bag, a large net, bump board, etc. with plenty of room to spare for a third passenger or more gear. We also haul a 17' foot poly canoe on top of the vehicle, using the dual tie-down points on the front and rear and threading a center strap through the roof rack and rear doors. The boat rides very well over short and long hauls. With one person and no load in the vehicle, I am currently averaging 35mpg on the highway. With a few hundred pounds of gear, the canoe on top, and two people in the vehicle, I still pull 32-33mpg on the highway! That's a huge difference over the Impreza I had where I averaged 29mpg with the same load, or 30mpg with just me in the vehicle. I'm really impressed on that front. Granted, the Crosstrek does have a smaller (2.0 liter) engine than the Impreza (2.5 liter), but the performance really isn't much different. The Crosstrek is snappy, but not fast. You still need to plan ahead a bit in your driving style, because while it's solid and you'll go, it's not a jackrabbit response on the acceleration though it does hold it's own very well on ups and downs on cruise control. If you're used the Subaru's boxer engine, then you won't notice the engine noise. If you're not, then you likely will. It's not obnoxious, but compared to similar vehicles of other makes/models, it is louder. That's just how the boxers are, but I'll take it any day for the level of reliability and longevity that they provide. It handles much like a higher profile sedan. It provides a smooth ride at all speeds, corners very well, and is has very responsive steering and traction control. I drive on paved highways as well as chewed up dirt/gravel/bedrock roads (off of which I live) daily and it it sure-footed and solid on all of them under wet or dry conditions. I've got the 5-speed manual transmission, as I prefer manuals and find them fun to drive, and am very pleased with it. The clutch is surprisingly light. The exterior of the Crosstrek is similar to the interior in that's it's got a very appealing look and design with some nice little accents and aesthetic features. I have every confidence that, barring any accidents, I'll put well over 100K on this vehicles over the next several years as I've done with vehicles passed and continue to be very happy with my decision to choose the Crosstrek.

First brand new car I owned

by Jakedutton on Sun Feb 18 2018

I purchased my 2017 crystal black Crosstrek January 2017. I love driving this car but it's the slowest in its class. I'm having problems with the paint chipping and scratching easy . I think the paints weak and delicate. all around my 2017 Crosstrek is this a common problem for the Crosstrek? I'm afraid what this car will look like a couple years down the road. I only have 9,000 miles on it. This will be my only new car I bought

Does not recommend this car!!

Suburu is Japanese for the Star cluster , the Ple,

by Cwteter from Hanover on Mon Sep 18 2017

Anted easier egress due to bad back, great gas mileage and amenities. Getting used to a smaller vehicle now all 5 kids are grown.

A great AWD Crossover

by BDanner from Wilmington NC on Sat Oct 13 2018

We purchased this for our daughter's first car. The 18's had just come out so we were able to get a brand new 17 with the Eyesight Safety package for less than the base 18 model. The high points of this vehicle for me are SAFETY, VISIBILITY, & DEPENDABILITY. EXTERIOR: The exterior of the vehicle is stylish and slightly rugged. Doors open wide (almost a full 90 degrees) and close with a sturdy clunk. Roof rails are standard, and with a set of optional crossbars will hold a good size cargo box. INTERIOR:The interior is durable cloth with a stylish orange contrast stitch. More than adequate head and legroom all around. Ample cargo space. As I mentioned before, the visibility in this thing is unmatched with large windshield and side/rear glass. There are soft touch materials aplenty. Controls (both dash and steering wheel) are very well organized and intuitively thought out. The Crosstrek does seem to suffer from a bit of identity crisis. Are the interior backlights Orange? Blue? Red? White? Yes to all and it seems a little disjointed but is not a major issue. Bluetooth and infotainment system is easy to use and features a single CD player, 2 USB ports, an auxiliary port and available XM Satellite radio. My only quibbles with the interior are the odd placement of the heated seat switch, lack of sunglass holder and a cruise adjustment that takes some getting used to (hard to explain, but suffice it to say it's the opposite of most cars I've driven). RIDE/PERFORMANCE: Ride quality is great. Cabin is quiet. Acceleration is adequate and the CVT is much better than the one on my Honda HRV. I wouldn't call it sporty, but I could go with nimble. Love that this vehicle is AWD, and unlike other offerings in this segment it is TRUE ALL WHEEL DRIVE, not 2WD and AWD when it senses it needs to be. Keep that in mind when you are comparison shopping. SAFETY: The Eyesight System is awesome! Adaptive cruise will keep you 1-2-or 3 car lengths behind the car in front of you. Emergency Breaking, Blind Spot Monitors, Rear Back up Camera with crossover warning all help ease our minds a little when we send our teenager out on the road. More airbags than you probably need, including drivers knee airbag. This is also a Insurance Top Pick for collision. SUMMARY: To sum it up, a great safe practical durable choice in this segment. I really wish I had chosen this when I was shopping for myself as my Honda HRV is a real turd to drive.

Just bought and like everything.

by Doris from Walton ny on Wed Jun 06 2018

It is a great car so far. Comfortable ride. Compact suv. Comfortable seats. Plenty of leg room in back seat. Plenty of power. Nice color.

Comfort Style & saves the $$$$ on GAS

by SubChucl on Sun May 06 2018

What a reliable and money saving vehicle!!! I previously drove a Jeep Liberty that wasn't as durable - cost me constant repairs and ate my gas and wallet- this Subaru had a smooth ride with rough road capability - and spacious- room for the whole family and even a roof rack !! In just one week I saved so much in gas money and insurance as the Crosstrek had an excellent safety rating

Subaru is a great all around vehicle

by sstahoe from South Lake Tahoe, CA on Tue May 02 2017

This is my sixth Subaru and I have never been disappointed. I have lived in the high Sierras for the past 30 years and feel this is the best all around vehicle for safety and handling in all weather conditions.

Doug Herrick - Hyper Blue 2017 Crosstrek

by dherrick from Kenosha, WI on Wed May 03 2017

The clutch in my old Mazda was busted for the last 4 months before I got my crosstrek, so I may be a little overzealous in this review. I love the crosstrek. It shifts like butter, the AWD works superbly (I'm glued to the road), the MPG rating is amazing, and it looks amazing to top it off.

Reliable and "cute" gets lots of looks

by It's a high boy, "BIG RED" from Lodi, California on Fri Jul 21 2017

I got Wounded in Vietnam twice,and it's very hard for me to get in and out so this is just fine. I'm getting pretty old (72) so it's easy to get these old BONES in and out

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11