2019 Subaru Outback consumer reviews

side view of 2019 Outback Subaru
Explore the 2019 Subaru Outback
Shop the 2019 Subaru Outback
4.3

Reliable, comfortable, powerful enough, storage

Bought this Outback as alternative to Audi Allroad (which I also loved). At almost $20k less, the 3.6R version delivers a lot of value for the money. The interior is reasonably attractive, comfortable and spacious (I’m 6’4”) with tons of hauling capacity. The electronics are up-to-date and easy to use. Fuel efficiency is Ok for and all-wheel drive and the 6 cylinders (I would not get the 4 cyl - or today’s non-turbo, performance is too anemic cor my taste). Winter and light offroad duty excellent. Handling, acceleration OK - this is not a Porsche (which I have owned) and not intended to be. Overall, I like this car a lot. We use it mostly for longer drives, and do not commute. Simple, practical and does what it promises to do - a great value with a nicer interior than I expected.

4.4

Severely Damaged and Unsafe

Only after I made the preexisting repairs I finally feel safe in the car. The design, both interior, exterior and comfort is outstanding which is Subaru’s standard.

I love driving this car

After driving this car for awhile I'm very happy with it. I tow a boat with no trouble it's done everything I've ask and more.

4.3

Car is very reliable

I think this car has spunk and is very reliable. The engine at low speeds makes noise, but is not off putting. I have two dings and I would never choose white again because the undercoat is black and it shows the ding right away.

3.0

Frequent failure to start

The 2019 Subaru Outback came close to being my favorite vehicle I've ever owned. Comfortable seating, built in roof racks, so many details in this vehicle are well done. Unfortunately it was plagued with a frequent failure to start. At seemingly random times the battery would be drained. It could sit for a week and be fine, other times it would be driven 45 minutes the night before, and 10 hours later, the next morning, the battery was dead. Two contacts to the dealership resulted in no parasitic drain found, and that I shouldn't leave the keys in it. Really? Keys sitting in the cupholder drains the battery? Taking the keys in the house didn't fix the problem. After 9 months, two batteries, and two dozen non starting mornings, it was obvious that more attention needs to be spent designing a vehicle that can function at a most basic level.

A repeat subaru owner.

This car is so much easier to get in and out of; and the visibility is great. The car has a good 'road feel'. It's also quiet and comfortable. It's my nearly perfect car, and will probably be my last one. But at least I'll be a happy camper.

The car I needed

I am planning a road trip soon and will be doing a lot of car camping, and along with owning and working with many dogs, I knew I needed something with the space and capabilities to handle what I needed. It's very "high tech" and has so many features. I haven't owned it for long, but I loved it the second I sat in it.

Just feel so grateful to own this car.

Bought this car sight unseen except through a virtual tour during Covid . We found this car for our son who lives in Park City , Utah from a Subaru Dealer in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. He was looking for a 2019, Subaru, Outback Touring 3.6r with low mileage. So we flew up from NC , bought the car , and drove it home all in one day. The car out performed and handled better than any car I have ever driven. And I’ve owned a Jaguar for 20 years... The Subaru dealership was great helping us in orchestrating signatures and getting a 1.99% rate as well as an extra 4 year’s warranty bumper to bumper on top of the new car warranty, 3 years/36,000 mile that comes with the car. It is sporty and well made and a very handsome car inside and out. End of the story, we made the trip home to North Carolina by midnight and thoroughly enjoyed the long drive. We surprisingly were not tired I guess to the very well made seats that seemed to support our back well. Can’t say enough about this car , oh and the sound system and front panel with all the bells and whistles is great too.... I’m wondering if my husband will really give this car to our son.....

3.3

Disappointing car

Compared to my 2010 Subaru Legacy 3.6R Limited this 2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited is a step backward in many areas. The engine/transmission combination in this new car lacks the performance of the older offering. The Continuously Variable Transmission does not provide the the same acceleration as the old 5-speed automatic. The CVT is much slower in accelerating giving the impression it doesn't know what range to be in and the electronics limit engine power to only provide what the CVT can deal with. The fuel economy is significantly less than the previous model. This car has never been able to exceed the EPA highway mileage rating which was easy to do with the old car. The CVT does not hold the car back on a hill as well as a conventional transmission requiring more brake usage. Cold start up can sometimes give a stumble or hesitation when first shifting out of park, this problem cannot be duplicated regularly. Subaru service cannot fix an intermittent problem if it cannot be reproduced regularly. The expensive navigation system is a nightmare. It won't pair with my phone which meets system requirements. Attempting to use some functions can sometimes lock the system up for days. Attaching an iPod to the system will provide erratic results, sometimes works great, other times not so good. Navigation updates are painstaking, can only be done over wi-fi, you can only update 10 states at a time, engine must be running and transmission in park - owners manual warns against excessive engine idling. Salesman stated lifetime free updates, sales literature states 5 years. Again, intermittent problems cannot be fixed. Safety electronics abound in this car. Reverse automatic braking is especially problematic. When towing a trailer, backing has to be done extremely slowly otherwise it engages and in some instances applies the parking brake. It can be turned off each time you shift into reverse by touching a button on the navigation screen for 5 seconds. Without a trailer, backing up towards tall grass produces the same neck snap. The Eyesight system will sometimes give a warning when entering a curve at speed limit sensing guard rails on the edge of the road. While all of the electronic safety systems can be turned off, it is at different times and for different durations. Headlights in this car are an LED type, very bright. Illumination intensity is always the same, the focus and aim changes with beam selection. Low beam has a very distinct cutoff line which goes up on each side of the road. The height of the cutoff line is set high and cannot be adjusted (dealer service department states), very often blinding oncoming traffic which responds with their high beams. Roof rails have grown in height and are solid front to back. Might not seem like an issue until you have to remove snow from the roof. The Touring edition of this car has roof rails which are 1/3 to 1/4 of the height of the standard ones, I thought of swapping them out. Within six months of purchasing this car I tried purchasing roof rails for a Touring edition of this car from Subaru parts - No Longer Available. It is comforting to know some parts are no longer available for my new car. I ordered this car with a dealer installed Subaru trailer hitch. When the trailer hitch is installed, the rear bumper beam is removed from the car. Hitch instructions warn that if hitch is removed the bumper beam has to be put back in place and should be returned to car owner along with the instructions. I never received one or the instructions Ride is nice and handles well.

4.4

Safe, Comfortable, Surprisingly Fast.

The 2019 Subaru Outback Touring is like a bank vault on wheels. It's all business- the ride is firm, the seats are firm, the controls, compared to most of today's cars, are simple and purposeful. Fit and finish rival that of a luxury car. But the best feature by far is the EyeSight suite of safety features. The active cruise control makes highway driving an absolute pleasure in any kind of traffic or weather, and the lane departure and blind spot warnings give me more confidence than in any previous vehicle I've owned. Two knocks- I pay for the smooth power of the big 3.6L six in not-so-great gas mileage (they've replaced it for 2020 with a turbo 4 I hear is more economical but noisy). The other is the OE halogen fog lights- they're too dim really to do much, so I installed some powerful LED replacements. Problem solved. So, in case you can't already tell, I love, love LOVE this car.