2008 Jeep Patriot consumer reviews

$16,485–$18,235 MSRP range
side view of 2008 Patriot Jeep
Explore the 2008 Jeep Patriot
Shop the 2008 Jeep Patriot

Great Car for a tall person!

I bought this for my son, he loves it! He is 6'4", so this works perfect for him. The manual door locks and windows is pretty typical for some of the jeeps, but he does not care. The vehicle has lots of room, style, and function. I heard about the transmission from others, but I have not notices anything. It has 74k miles on it. I did buy the extended warranty anyways.

3.9

Love it and not agreeing with bad reviews

I have had my jeep patriot for 3 years and never used my warranty and it is at 86,000 mi. Its great in the snow and gets great gas mileage for a 4wd, great sound sysytem and features, i take care of this jeep though as i would suspect most of the bad reviews do not. Driving it hard and not changing oil or doing the recommended maintenance will of course cause problems. i hear all the breakdowns but not about how you took great care of the car. You simply cannot just drive a vehicle and expect it to run. and yes you could possibly get a bad model of the patriot but mine wasn't :)

1.9

Forced me to buy a Toyota

I bought the 08 Patriot as our second Jeep Product. Within 3 years we have had the tranny replaced 3 times. Can't drive it beyond 50 miles or it whines and over heats. We had to rent a car to go visit family beyond the 50 mile mark. When I asked to borrow a company car while it was being looked at, they apologized as the company car was having problems. The company loaner car was an 08 Patriot (Absolutely true story!) Jeep would not fix it or take it back. So disappointed that I sold both Jeeps and drive a Toyota now. Even my kids comment, "I wonder if that car whines", when they see another Jeep. Thanks Jeep as you probably lost future sales from two current and two future car owners.

2.9

Uncomfortable, cheap made

I got one of these from a family member. Drove it for five years. It's full of ugly bulky plastic that I constantly banged my head and legs on and I'm only 5'4". The back seat is very uncomfortable and the cargo area is tiny if you have the back seats in use. The head rest on the front seat is always in my way. If I have a clip or barrette in my hair I have to drive bend forward, so it doesn't get caught on the head rest.The gear shift is real touchy. Can't tell you how many times it got knocked by accident into manual, while stopped at a light. As soon as the warranty was up things started breaking. Maintance/repair over five years cost me as much as 10 years with my other vehicle. Even a battery had to be a special expensive one. On the positive side, it handles great and has excellent acceleration. Takes off like sports car.

1.7

Worst Vehicle Owned - Jeep Patriot

We bought our 2008 Jeep Patriot new and paid cash (no bank loans) with a trade-in. A few months after driving it off the lot, our endless nightmares began with chronic 5-speed manual transmission repairs, down times of no transportation, waiting times and lost value in a substandard product. We had over 4 factory warranty major repairs and the company even replaced the whole transmission with a new one. The gears were constantly grinding (not my driving as manager echoed that fact) and the company estimated Jeep Canada lost about $13,000 in repairs, parts and labour on a $25,000 vehicle that was a "lemon". After being a regular face in the dealership with their sales manager and service manager we were deeply stressed and frustrated. The sales manager (no big deal - failed to give us customer satisfaction) wrote a letter in support of our claims and the stack of warranty repairs, typical Jeep Canada failed miserably to solve the crisis and merely "rubber stamped " the dealership following warranty protocols. Jeep lost our confidence, lost our respect and I would neither recommend the dealership nor the product. We finally got rid of our headache with a better product at a better car lot and have been trouble free for 2 years. Nobody should have to suffer what we endured. Records, statements and repair paper work do not misrepresent the truth...we need to overhaul the auto industry in many ways for the benefit of the consumer not the companies. We felt uneasy driving it locally or going across the border and heard similar stories from other customers. Maybe some had good experiences with automatics but manual transmissions in this car was nothing less than an intense throbbing headache that was unacceptable. We should not be afraid of factual truths or poor ratings that are deserved including bulky handing on the roads and around turns. Kerwin Maude

Very relaible transportation

I bought this vehicle new in late 2008, it has 120,000 miles as of January 2014. I have done required maintenance. Only problem had to replace alternator at 108,000. There are no rattles and it is holding up very well. It went in for the 5 year warranty check recently no problems found. I bought this vehicle because I drive a lot and it get better gas mileage than my Dakota pickup. I am a big guy and it is easy to get in and out of, and is very comfortable to sit in for long rides. I have made trips from California to Texas and back, 3 adults and a 15 year old plus luggage. I would recommend this vehicle without reservation.

2.3

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR

the 08' Jeep Patriot is my first car. I've had it for about two years now. I'm 18 years old and I have had trouble with my car since I drove it off the lot. I've had to get the main computer replaced just shortly after my purchase and now the problem has shown up again. I've also had to get a few censors replaced, a new battery, and wheel barrings. All together, I have put in way too much money on this car than it is worth. I'm about to go off to college and I need something reliable. This is not the car for me or anyone who needs reliability over looks.

2.3

Beware

I have Jeep Patriot with 58, 000 miles. The car requires new transmission and ball joints for a total cost of $5, 040. This is a typical problem with the Patriot and Compass. Jeep will not honor power tranny for the second owner. Save yourself alot of money.

Daughters' favorite car

My daughter has been wanting a Jeep Patriot since she was in Middle School. She is now in High School and has the car of her dreams. When she saw the Jeep in the exact color she wanted I did everything I could to make sure she got it!! She bought it herself and this Mom is very proud of her. The car is in great shape has low miles and runs awesome!!

Patriot

Love this jeep! Only complaints I have are how easy it is to put into auto stuck and the gas tank is too small on it. I drive 120 miles a day round trip to work very comfortable!! Mpg are great and love the room in it!! I'm very happy with it !!