2013 Camry

4.4 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.5 out of 5 starsReliability

2013 Toyota Camry L

by Cliff from Birmingham, AL on February 19, 2014

I'm a car enthusiast. There, now that we've got that out of the way, I can say that I actually happen to like the whipping boy of the automotive journalism industry. I've owned number of vehicles, ranging from taut and sporty to big and comfortable, and have driven many more. The Toyota Camry definitely fits into the latter category; however, from 2012 onward the Camry has been stiffened up and made a bit more driver-centric (though you'd never know that from the mass loathing this car gets on the internet). Comparing cars MSRP to MSRP, the Camry is hardly favorable against more exciting entries into the the mid-size competition (See the Honda Accord or Mazda 6). However, as the reigning king of sales, Toyota is giving major discounts on many models to stay competitive. In this case, I purchased a new base-model Camry L upgraded with keyless entry and the XLE's leather upholstery and still undercut the MSRP by almost six large. The 2.5L four-pot puts out 178 horses and 170 lb-ft of twist at the front axle, which makes it slightly less powerful than most of it's competition. Fortunately, at roughly 3200 pounds dry, it's also one of the lightest mid-sizers. The engine is creamy-smooth, rev-happy, and delivers a surprising amount of low-end grunt. The standard 6-speed automatic gearbox is also smooth and rarely gets in its on way during hard acceleration or passing maneuvers, and the selectable manual or "sport" mode operates smoothly and relatively obediently. The engine regularly returns just below its promised 30mpg mixed (my measurements put the exact number around 29), but I've (briefly) seen the fuel mileage crack 37mpg. Not bad at all. Much has been made of the numb steering, and while the wheel does not communicate information from the front wheels very well, it's significantly improved from previous models. It's still over-boosted and extremely light, but it's also linear and still loads up slightly in effort off-center. The chassis and suspension are not exactly sporty, but the car feels capable and solidly planted. The ride is pillowy-soft, but controlled; an improvement over the boat-like characteristics of early models. Due to the overly light steering effort, however, expect to make small adjustments relatively frequently. Regardless, this car eats highway miles with absolute ease. The interior is quiet, refined, but frankly dated in design. Which is perfectly fine by me, because it's spacious and functional and ergonomical. I do question the completely hard plastic door inserts and the odd Fisher-Price grade plastic with fake stitching around the lower half of the center stack, but otherwise the cabin is a nice place to spend a lot of time. Wide, soft seats keep the driver comfortable (I'm 6'3" and 170 pounds, so your comfort might vary). The standard six-speaker audio and infotainment system is excellent; standing toe-to-toe with my wife's 10-speaker Bose outfitted in her car (and I'm an audiophile). Overall, the look isn't appreciably modern, but it feels relatively upscale and avoids the cheesy Star-Wars-setpiece design cues of other competition. Exterior styling is a matter of taste. It's overly conservative, yes, but the lack of forward and rearward windshield raking means the cabin is more airy and the rear seats more roomy than in the Fusion, 6, or Optima. Despite it's been-there-done-that visual cues, it still looks much better than the Passat or the already-aging Sonata, and it avoids aping supercars it has no competition with, a la Fusion. Again, if making a visual statement is all you care about, go with the Kia Optima or 6. Overall, the Toyota remains the most conservative choice in the mid-size market. It does everything well and nothing poorly, and it's driving character has improved significantly over previous models. Other options are "better" (Again, Accord or 6 come to mind), but when dealers frequently undercut the MSRP by 3-4 grand, you can't go wrong - especially with typical Toyota low m

Whyknots car

by Whyknot from Dickinson, ND on January 14, 2013

I purchased this Toyota Camry Special Edition and have been absolutely thrilled with it!! The detailing to the dash for one is so cool.....right down to the stitching in the leather and the way the upholstery curves in the dash. The color---Barcelona Red is out of this world. Kind of a brown/pink tone to the red metallic....really pretty in the sun. I had a Camry for the past 3 years and the way it handles...I will never buy anything else. I fell in love with the car and drove it right off the showroom floor...never have I done that before!

HAPPY CAMRY OWNER

by VIRGINIA SENIOR from Richmond, Virginia on August 3, 2013

This is my fourth Toyota Camry LE. I purchased it in January 2013. As with all of my other Camrys, this car is a joy to drive, is a gas sipper, handles beautifully, has a quiet cabin, and a terrific ride. The interior is roomy; and the new technology, which includes Bluetooth for my phone, is terrific. In addition, the sound system is quite good. I am a classical music buff and am picky about my speakers. The car has conservative lines, but is classically beautiful. I also know it is well made and reliable. It will serve me well for a long time. I am one happy owner!!!

Good car for the money, with one big quirk!

by SteveD from central NY on September 8, 2016

Have had the 2013 Camry LE for nearly a year with almost zero complaints and no problems. I like the style inside and out, the controls are all logical and the touch screen stereo is top notch - the EQ settings are saved per input source which is appreciated, the display for Bluetooth and Car economy/MPG stats is impressive and the stock front speakers are damned good with plenty of deep bass (as good as aftermarket Pioneers in my previous car). Radio controls on the steering wheel let you adjust just about everything including turning it on, muting and changing input source! I have the optional power seat and have no complaints about comfort (although I typically use a lower back/lumbar pillow) and I can get a very good driving position. I wish this car had rear seat vents behind the center console for the passengers (perhaps the XLE model does?) The ride is fairly soft and supple, and since I bought Michelin Defender tires, is nice and quiet too. Gas mileage is somewhat less than expected, getting about 27 in mixed (more city) driving; my best all highway so far was 33 but that was at 70+ MPH with the A/C on. And the clever MPG estimate on the dash is very handy but it's a bit generous, usually over-estimating by 1 or 2 MPG. But here is the nagging design flaw and why I can't give it 5 stars - while the 6 speed transmission is smooth as silk, the shift lever zig zags from Park into Drive just fine but you better be careful you don't accidentally move it from Drive over to the left or now it's in "S" for Standard mode where it defaults into 4th gear. There is an indication of "D", "S4", "S3", etc on the dash but it's hardly noticeable to the casual driver. 3 of my family drivers have taken this car on the highway and unknowingly drove over 100 miles at highway speeds in 4th or 3rd gear the whole way.... Now I like the flexibility of Standard shifting but IMO, this is a stupid design that's too easy for people to put it in 4th gear or lower and drive off causing unnecessary engine wear and wasting gas. Toyota should have at least made the dash indicator blink while in this mode, or give an option in Car Settings to disable it. As a cheap fix, I have since jammed in a piece of rubber so that the shifter cannot be moved left, leaving only Drive available - now when someone drives my car I don't have to worry or explain how to shift. And now you know...... Overall though I am happy with this car inside and out. Looks good, rides nice and quiet; a pleasure to drive!

my 4th Camry, loved them all

by gail from Baton Rouge, LA on July 24, 2013

someone hit one, a hurricane dropped a tree on one and I totaled one. They were all extremely reliable and comfortable. No repairs, just maintenance. Each one had new special features. Roomy inside, lumbar seat feels great, soft ride with great pick up, it is a beautiful car.

Love my Camry

by KurtL from Minneapolis, MN on October 22, 2013

I am leasing a 2013 Camry SE. Have been a Nissan guy for the past 15 years (owned 4 infiniti's and one Maxima) and thought a change may convince me how good Nissans really are. Big mistake!! Toyota Camry is one of, if not the best vehicle I have owned since I was a young man. Looks are great. Fuel mileage in the 30's is fabulous and the roomy comfort of both the interior and trunk are something special. All the little add on's are great. More cupholders, better radio system and sound is outstanding. So far, so good. I only have 3000+ miles on this baby and am planning on buying it in 33 months irregardless of my opinion at that time. Such a great deal leasing from these folks that I would highly recommend Toyota to my friends. Thanks Toyota, I am now a believer!!!

my daily ride

by nelson from fort myers ,fl on March 18, 2016

i got my 2013 camry brand new and so far is doing well, it has 51000 miles and just put new tires and battery, i use it every day and never had problems,is not a luxury car, but it does the job.the only complaint i have is the seats are not confortable for long rides, but for daily use is perfect

Toyota Does It Again!

by Kojak from Twin Cities, MN on June 23, 2013

I am a second time buyer of toyota, the first being a 4runner I bought used. This car has impressed me on every mark! It's very peppy, gets great gas mileage, and is SUPER comfortable! The cars features are enough to not only please, but keep a Computer techinical person busy! That being said, computer novices may struggle with Radio as it's a bit complicated. Once mastered though it performs like no other I've ever had! Five stars all the way down the line! THANKS TOYOTA!!!

Expectation Management

by E from San Antonio, TX on January 22, 2015

Overall, I love my 2013 Camry SE. Some people leaving negative comments need some expectation management. The Camry is not a comfortable luxury car. If you want that, buy a Volvo, Lexus, Mercedes, or Jaguar. I bought it because I knew it would last forever and hold it's value. I admit the drivers seat is uncomfortable for longer trips, but that's a trade off I'm willing to take. Also, it was never meant to be a performance car either. I've owned a couple of BMWs in the past, to include a 2011 335diesel, and have maxed out their performance and it was a lot of fun. The Camry does however have a surprisingly strong and smooth 4cyl engine. But once again, I'm willing to take that trade off. The Camry SE handles like a boat by the way. Don't buy the Camry if you enjoy comfort or performance, but if you want a good overall mid sized sedan that will last you 200,000 miles and give you a good resale value go for it.

Great Car

by Toyotafan from lave worth, fl on September 16, 2013

Great get up and go for a 4 cylinder. Lots of leg room. Comfortable driver seat. Like the radio control on steering wheel.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14