The problem: Vehicles may exhibit excessive oil consumption due to faulty engine short block assemblies.
Vehicles affected by service bulletin:
- 2013 Subaru Legacy with 2.5-liter engine
- 2014 Subaru Legacy with 2.5-liter engine
- 2013 Subaru Outback with 2.5-liter engine
- 2014 Subaru Outback with 2.5-liter engine
- 2011 Subaru Forester
- 2012 Subaru Forester
- 2013 Subaru Forester
- 2014 Subaru Forester with 2.5-liter engine
- 2015 Subaru Forester with 2.5-liter engine and manual transmission
- 2012 Subaru Impreza with 2.0-liter engine
- 2013 Subaru Impreza
- 2014 Subaru Impreza with manual transmission
- 2015 Subaru Impreza with manual transmission
- 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
- 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek with manual transmission
- 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek with manual transmission
Corrective action: Dealers will replace the short block assembly.
Warranty info: This service is being performed free of charge under a special powertrain warranty extension of eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.
What owners should do: Call your local dealer with your vehicle’s identification number to determine if it’s involved in this service bulletin. You can also call Subaru at 800-782-2783 or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 888-327-4236. Reference TSB No. 02-157-14R.
Need to find a dealer for service? Go to Cars.com Service & Repair to find a local dealer.
Editor’s note: This is only one of dozens of service bulletins issued each month by automakers. Please check your automaker’s website to see if your vehicle has any service bulletins pending.
Check for recalls here on Cars.com.