The Ford Escape is a popular model in the popular class of compact SUVs, and Ford has redesigned it for the 2020 model year with an Escape Hybrid in the lineup for the first time since 2012 and a plug-in hybrid variant coming next. For this fourth-generation Escape, Ford offers a few different powertrains, and we had a chance to sample them at a recent drive event.
First, we tested the turbocharged 1.5-liter three-cylinder engine and, with two adults on board, our front-wheel-drive model exhibited a little hesitation from a stop but had enough power to feel reasonably brisk around town. That quickly changed, however. With all-wheel drive and more passengers, it definitely felt poky in a lot of situations.
Stepping up to the optional turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder, it felt more up to the task — even when equipped with all-wheel drive (which adds to the vehicle’s weight) and loaded with people.
Lastly, we tested the Escape Hybrid, which combines a 2.5-liter four-cylinder with two electric motors for a combined 200 horsepower. It’s a smooth operator, with barely noticeable transitions from gas to electric power, and it has enough overall oomph — even with three adults on board.
What’s it like inside? Watch the video for more.
More From Cars.com:
- What’s the Best Compact SUV of 2019?
- 2020 Ford Escape: A Little More Money, a Lot More Hybrid
- Can the Revamped 2020 Ford Escape Take on the Compact SUV Competition?
- 2020 Ford Escape Video: What America Wants to Buy These Days
- Find Your Next Car
Cars.com’s Editorial department is your source for automotive news and reviews. In line with Cars.com’s long-standing ethics policy, editors and reviewers don’t accept gifts or free trips from automakers. The Editorial department is independent of Cars.com’s advertising, sales and sponsored content departments.
- Cars.com Aids Parents of Teen Drivers with the Best New Cars and Worry-Free Tech Features to Promote Safe Driving
- Cars.com Appoints New Vice President and General Manager Julie Scott to Drive OEM Partnerships and National Business Growth
- 2019 GMC Canyon Review: Outclassed by Its Competitors
- 2019 Lincoln Nautilus: Everything You Need to Know