2006 A3

2006 Audi A3

2006 Audi A3

Have You Driven the 2006 Audi A3?

Perfect Balance

by Jackson from Minneapolis/St Paul on Fri Apr 06 2007

I have been driving an Acura TL with a 6 speed manual. Great car but with a bad knee, shifting became an issue. The A3 is the most balanced car I have ever driven. Superb power with the 2.0T, excellent handling and very good fuel economy. With this car I can commute responsibly, do it in comfort and yet have a VERY fun car to drive whenever I want. Yes, the car is a bit more pricey, but how else are Americans who want quality going to get into smaller cars? I really have no reservations about the car. I did drive the 3.2, but that car seemed heavier and less agile. I also love the open roof - it feels like a convertible without wind in your hair. Obviously I love this car!

Fast and fun

by Small Car Guy from Jacksonville, Florida on Fri Oct 21 2011

I bought my A3 new in 2006 and kept it for 6.5 years, until it started burning oil at 84,000 miles. The A3 was the fastest, best handling car I've ever driven, by far. The paddles and clutchless manual made driving fun. The car inevitably aged, and when that happened, it means $$$ in maintenance costs. The A3 is fun and fast, but ultimately, there are more practical choices.

Fun, fun, fun

by scoob from Miami on Sat Apr 10 2010

The Audi A3 is much more fun to drive than many performance cars that are more expensive, including the BMW 328. Some people prefer the similar VW GTI because it costs less, but to me, the A3 looks much better and the Audi dealerships give much better service. This is worth the extra cost, especially when you buy a used, certified Audi. The strong points of the A3 are the amazingly responsive DSG double clutch transmission with paddle shifters and the steering. Braking and acceleration are very good, too.

Quicker than you think

by mac_powah from Mac_powah from Windsor, Ontario on Sat Sep 23 2006

This is one amazing car...really. It replaced my 03 Mini Cooper S and it's much easier to live with. This A3 still has compact dimensions, but it's much larger inside than most people think. The 2.0L turbo engine makes 200hp and 207 lb-ft @ only 1800 RPM! This makes it VERY quick off the line and continues all the way to the redline. Standard features on the base car are quite extensive, but at this price point one would expect an MP3 readable CD player (it's not), and meatier tires. The all seasons on the non-sport package equipped model have a very low threshold for pain, so I would recommend a more aggressive tire considering how great the handling feel is. Also, steering feel is a little too light at slow speeds for my liking, but it really firms up as the speed increases. Overall, this car is as solidly built, fun to drive, and surprisingly fuel efficient car as you're going to find at this price. To top it off, you can add pretty much any options you wish like HID's, leather, navigation, and heated seats etc. But the base model is just fine with me.

"Amazing Vehicle"

by "Car enthusiast" from Arlington, WA on Thu Nov 23 2006

This is the best car I ever owned and I will ever own.... It has the best of everything... Versatility, safety, speed, economy, luxury, and most importantly fun... Read the reviews there is nothing negative about this car... and after owning it for a year its truly stood up to the amazing reviews. I enjoy the DSG and the amazing smooth ride for a sport package. One thing I recommend for those that live in colder climates, get the cold weather package, it heats up your side view mirrors and can be valuable. Otherwise enjoy your A3 everywhere you go...

Amazing

by e-s-f from Chicago, IL on Sun May 28 2006

For under $30,000, you get gobs of style, luxury features seen on high-end sedans, versatility, rarity (in a good way), blockbuster performance, and the original-ness of the Audi badge. The A3 is the perfect car for people who want a stylish, versatile car for the city, that still gets good gas mileage (26 mpg). The interior is just as stylish as the exterior, and even easier to use than my other Audi (S4 Cabriolet) and my wife's Lexus (RX330). In three years, I will be giving my [very excited] son this car, and he thinks it is just as perfect as I do. I will probably buy another A3, and I recommend it greatly! ('06 A3 2.0T DSG)

Impressive

by Sport Car Enthusiast from Naperville, IL on Wed Jul 25 2007

I went to the dealer to test drive other Audi models, after I drove the A3 3.2, I did not want to test drive any other car in the lot. This is a solid agile car. I'm used to drive a mid-engine car and the A3 performs very well in cornering, it's fun to drive. Wondering why there are not so many out there, you get the convenience of a wagon and close to the sportiness of a TT.

Very Fun Car

by Audi new Fan from Kentwood, LA on Wed Jun 14 2006

When I was researching for a new car I had either a choice of BMW 3 series, Lexus IS, Acura TL, and G35 Coupe. I had drove them all and it not nearly as fun as this car. Audi's DSG transmission shifting is amazing. None of those cars came close to the speed of Audi's transmission shifts. Plus the car is quicker and more fun than those cars, and all those cars you see are all over the roads "espically BMWs". I had wanted something new and fresh so I got a black Audi A3 sport package. Still, Audi A3 lacks of luxury touches. Like in the sport package no power seats, Xenons headlight, trip computer, rain sensors, bluetooth, they all should be standard. Other than that it's an amazing fun car to drive. Test drive one and see for yourself.

2006 Audi A3 Sportback (3.2 Quattro)

by A3 Driver from Vancouver, BC on Mon Nov 29 2010

This car is great! Performance all around is very impressive. I would definately recommend this model to anyone.

Best Car I've Ever Owned and I've owned a few

by Mr Boss from New Zealand on Fri May 11 2018

I have race rallied and rolled cars over the past 47 years of driving. I have been a Subaru guy since buying one of the 1st STI's imported into New Zealand back in the day. For some reason after being overseas for a couple of years, I found myself test driving an older (2006) 3.2 V6 Audi Quattro with only 60k on the clock. Like most used cars in NZ, this was an import from Japan, costing a mere NZ$12,000. One drive and I was hooked. It does everything I've ever looked for in a sports car. Way more power than needed on our roads, economy, handling and breaking. I'm living in a remote area with 15km of winding gravel road and then tight winding sealed road running around the coast. Then onto open highways and the Audi is a pleasure to drive on all surfaces. The doubters tell me Audi's are expensive to repair, my answer "have you ever had to repair a Subaru" I took a full mechanical warranty for worry free driving. Excuse me but I need to look at it.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2006 Audi A3

Audi's smallest offering, the compact A3, arrived last May.

Though still a newcomer to the market, Audi has brought out an upgrade to the lineup that had been limited to 2-liter, turbocharged 4-cylinder engines with the addition of the A3 3.2. The 3.2 designates its 3.2-liter, 250-horsepower V-6 that provides even more spirit.

And to ensure it not only sprints from the light and shoots into and out of the passing lane, the compact hatchback has Audi's well-known, and much-appreciated, Quattro permanent all-wheel-drive system.

While the V-6 delivers a kick, the pinpoint handling of Quattro was the highlight of the test drive. Point and go, quickly and in total control.

Rain and snow meant backing off... Read More