1999 A4

1999 Audi A4

1999 Audi A4

4.2

Have You Driven the 1999 Audi A4?

Reliable, super winter car, Great handling

by Fast Eddie from Buffalo, NY on Thu Dec 14 2006

I bought this car new; ordered the car with all options; winter package, premium package sports package. As with all German cars I have owned previously, the more miles you put into the car the better. Around 90K miles the car was well settled in. We get a lot of snow where we live; originally came with high performance tires (Dunlop 8000E), changed to all season Pirelli P Zero Nero; car handles great in both snow and wet conditions, very predictable and forgiving car. This is my second Audi, previously owned a 96 A4 2.8 Quattro. The 99 had major improvement in handling, power, and braking, smarter ABS system. This is a very solid car.

Solid German Performer

by Ginzaman from on Tue Apr 21 2009

Bought it brand new in 1999. Since then I bought 3 German cars. I never going to buy Japanese or American. Quattro is something you can't live without on snow and rain. Engineer to last forever and lovely going high-speed in place like autobahn. Great Bose system, 5 valve per cylinder engine, perfect manual transmission. I can't compliant at all. Solid, strong and reliable.

Great car for Buisness and Fun all in 1

by Italian Audi Driver from Pittsburgh, PA on Sat Nov 28 2009

I Bought this car used with 135000 miles on it and I was a little weiry about buying any car with that many miles. Except this car. It handles and performs great. Gets up to speed quickly but it doesn't even feel like your going 80 miles an hour in this car. Comfortable interior, snug but not cramped. Wish the owner put the trip computer in it. Love the radio layout and air-conditioning and heater. The automatic shifting on this car is a little weird it takes a while to downshift after leveling out on a big hill. I also wish the exterior styling looked a little better. But no matter what, I love this car.

Amazing everyday driver with some extra power

by Audi Enthusiast from Michigan on Mon Sep 29 2008

This car has amazing handling especially with the factory sport suspension and is a fast performance sedan. The best part is that it can be very tame and a very comfortable everyday car. I have literally driven for 12 hours straight with only bathroom and food breaks and never got a sore rear. The BOSE sound package is nothing short of amazing. The only gripe I have is with the manual seat adjustments, I wish they were powered. Perfect car and well worth a meticulously maintained one.

Safe and solid wagon for a family and more

by Family man from Amherst, MA on Fri Mar 27 2009

Audi has always built very safe and solid cars. I had 2 of them in early 90s and my 3rd car is a '99 A4 wagon. While in the past Audi cars were more like VW with just a different label on the front, somewhere in the 90s they've developed into a very refined, high-end brand. And there are lots of reasons! Their cars are day and night different from old Audis or even current VWs. Overall the maintenance costs are there, but nothing surprising. The parts costs a little bit more, but they are so well engineered that longevity and reliability is not an issue. I've never been stranded on the road, and I drive around 20K per year. In fact, the road feels a lot more pleasant in an Audi than in most other cars for me (I am 6 ft tall male). It's not a sports car, but rather a well tuned "sleeper" car with plenty of power and handling to be shown as needed.

Driving made Fun

by A4 Enthusiast from Puyallup, WA on Mon Apr 18 2011

The A4 has exceeded all my expectations. I can't believe how much fun driving can be. I traded in a 4x4 SUV for the A4, and was surprised at how well it handled the elements and all weather conditions, as well as how it handles the curves and bends in the road. Should have gotten one years ago! Once again, I look for reasons to drive. I'm hooked on the A4!

Really Nice Car

by Bob from Hartford, CT on Fri Nov 19 2010

Purchased this car a few months ago with 80,000 miles on it. So far it's been great. It's got the 2.8 V6 in it with their AWD system and a 5 speed manual. Great traction in wet weather, no wheelspin at all while accelerating. On dry pavement it handles like a sports car. Haven't had a chance to test it out in the snow yet. Could use a bit more power, but what car couldn't? The engine runs smoothly and revs easily. The clutch has a high engagement point, but a friend of mine told me that most of the Audi's are like that. I average 25 mpg with mostly highway driving at close to 75mph. Premium fuel is recommended, but I usually use 89 octane and haven't noticed a difference between that and premium. So far it's been very reliable, but I it needs a new thermostat, as the water temperature never makes it up past the 1/4 mark. Might as well change the water pump and the timing belt at the same time. Parts alone when purchased online are about $250, so it's going to be expensive at any repair shop. The exterior styling is pretty bland, the newer ones look much better to me, but the '99's are a bargain if you can find one with low mileage.

Best Mileage Behind a Tow Truck

by Katie-O from Salt Lake City, UT on Wed Nov 01 2006

Great styling, best snow car, comfortable to drive, sufficient power ... however, every mechanical problem is at least a $500 investment. I can't even take it to my regular mechanic for an oil change without it costing $500. This car was purchased used ... I would probably have better feelings about this car if I had purchased it new.

Does not recommend this car!!

Fun driving summer and winter

by Carmen from Boston, MA on Mon Feb 16 2009

Great car. Very expensive to buy, but pleasure from driving it, and overall finish is so good, you'll never look at Lexus or other Japanese luxury car. I had a wagon for 3 years. I can't really say it was not reliable, but it did require maintenance off and on. Nothing unusual, though. Before that car I had a Honda Accord and Subaru Legacy and they required just as much maintenance. Except may be the time when two rear suspension springs had to be replaced on Audi. Mechanic thought that was really rare for any car, so I am not sure what it was used by its previous owner. Regardless, if I had the money to continue buying Audi cars, I would, but they are really expensive these days.

Car I've been most proud of

by Skier/driver from Portland, OR on Thu Nov 30 2006

Smooth in every way. Its the right mix of road-aware and comfortable long-distance cruiser. Ultra-luxurious interior fixtures, and brings a smile to your face when you step into the car. The beefy engine and fantastic handling of the quatrro and just amazing. You'll especially love it if you're a BIG person.

1 2

Our Take on the 1999 Audi A4

OK, it's confession time. I need to get something off my chest, something that some people might find strange and confusing.

Here it is:

I dig station wagons.

That's not just a condition of middle age, though practicality certainly looms larger these days than it used to. No, I've always liked station wagons, have owned several of them, and just think they're kind of cool.

Weird, huh?

I'm not talking about behemoth nine-passenger wagons of yore, but trim, compact wagons. And these days, some of the best wagons are being made in Europe, where square backs are enjoying a resurgence.

Volvo long has been the king of station wagons, but sporty BMW currently markets its Touring wagon for... Read More