2003 A6

2003 Audi A6

2003 Audi A6

4.5

Have You Driven the 2003 Audi A6?

Good but can be costly

by 2003 Audi from Boston, MA on Fri May 02 2014

My 03 A6 2.7T sedan was purchased from a dealership in 05. The car was a 2 year lease and I bought it under Audi's certified per-owned service with just under 24k on the odometer. I still own the car that now has 205K on the odometer. The turbos and torque converter were replaced at 107k. Blown turbo resuled in the entire engine needing to be removed. While the engine was out, I replaced both turbos with upgraded versions. (This is the biggest risk of owning the 2.7T engine as the turbos are in the worst place if repairs are needed) labor for this work was $4k not including parts. All in, the cost was close to $9k but I still own the car and love driving it. I would not have repaired the car if I did not intend to keep it. If you don't plan to keep it then look at other lower maintenance cars or model years. Replaced the following over 205k miles while never getting stranded on the road. Transmission torque converter (while engine was out) Water pump (upgraded to one with metal impeller instead of plastic), timing belt, altenator, oil pressure switch, brake master cylinder, after engine oil pump at top of engine, cam plugs, engine cylinder gaskets due to oil leak and coolant hoses. I summary, the car does have engine software (aka chipped) but is not driven hard all the time. Fast, fun and comfortable to drive. Even with 205K on the odometer, sprints to 60 take just 5.5 seconds and the top end limiter has been removed. Very, very fun and fast and 100mph comes up very quickly. Just be forewarned that when it breaks it will be costly and this engine is known to have small oil leaks that can mess up your garage floor or driveway. One bit of advice when looking at this car/engine. Do not buy it unless the prevoius owner/dealer gives you all and I mean all of the service that has been performed on the car. Do not take his or her word for it. This is a high maintenance vehicle and it must be kept up. You will need to be handy with time and tools or find yourself a good independent mechanic as the dealership will charge you much more for labor and parts. Like most cars these days, the part is not the biggest cost it's the time it takes getting to it, then closing everything back up. My independent Audi/VW mechanic says the biggest problem he sees with Audis and VWs is: 1) People don't drive them hard enough (think about where these cars are were born to drive) 2) Improper oil change interval. No matter what the manual or dealer says, get the oil changed every 4k miles and use only synthetic oil. He has pulled plenty of engines and turbos over 30 years to know what he is talking about.

continually impressed

by audi fan from Great Falls, MT on Sun Dec 05 2010

I've owned this car for about 2 years now. There's a lot to like about Audi. The interior fit and finish is outstanding. With the V8 and quattro, there is always power and grip for all road conditions. I do my own maintence, but I recently paid for a brake job that ran $840 (all new pads and rotors), so cost of owning an Audi is somewhat higher than others. I bought this vehicle used, so I see it as a great value for the money, but if I would have paid the near 50K sticker price back in 2003, I would rate as a 3 star. I will replace this vehicle with either an A6 or A8.

Best all-around

by sports sedan fan from Washington DC on Tue Jan 15 2008

Car is luxurious, reliable, fun, all-wheel drive, and comfortable. It is the car the goes well in any situation.

The car of problems

by NewDev4IOS on Mon Mar 05 2018

Fun to drive, with good performance but soo many expensive issues with the car. Had to replace the transmission, drive shaft, boots, and a whole lot more.

Does not recommend this car!!

Best car I ever owned.

by Autobahn Burner from Montville, N.J. on Fri May 24 2013

I had the 2001 2.7 6 Spd Bi-Turbo. To me it was the best car I ever owned now I'm talking Bimmers (I had 3) and Benz's (had 2) I also had 2 other Audi's both A-4s. This car was put together well, the interior was neat and well appointed, and the performance was outstanding. It handled much like a sports car and the acceleration was in a word "quick" I had the car about 3 months and I had a chip put in, well the car went from quick to super quick real fast. If you want a car that is dependable, good looking and sporty, I highly recommend this car.

The Finest A6 Wide-body Ever

by Audi Car Club Past-President from Whitby, Ontario on Mon Feb 16 2015

I just recently bought a 2003 Audi A6 4.2 Sport Edition with 120,000kms. This is not my first A6, on the contrary, it would be about my 6th... which have come in many forms from an early 90's 100, to late 90's urS6, and a 2000 A6 4.2 wide body. I try to keep an open mind when buying used cars, I always try to look all of the competing models from any manufacturer that made something I would like to own... Bimmers, Mercs, Acuras, Lexus, etc... and for some reason I come back to the A6. It just seems to be a bit better in every way that is important to me. So what is important... firstly, it has be to visually appealing, and the A6 4.2 wide-body in my mind is the nicest looking vehicles on the road today (that you can buy for a decent price). The sport suspension makes it sit low, lean and the wide-body with 255-40 treads makes it look just that much meaner! Secondly, the living space is where you do your daily business of driving. It needs to be attractive and feel good. The Audi has been well known for their incredible interiors, everything is tight, well built and the ingenuity of its functionality is all about driving with a touch of elegance. The Sport Seats have not just regular seat heaters, they have 6 heating elements per seat, so the massive side bolsters also heat up to wrap you in warmth on those cold mornings! Even the steering wheel heats up... and let me tell you that is my favorite option! Any 4--door sedan needs to be able to carry 4-5 adults and also carry their luggage. The leg room in this mid-size car is enormous. Not to mention, rear heated seats to boot. The trunk is larger then the A8's trunk... and with fold-down seats, this thing rivals any wagon! Moving on to performance, well the 4.2L normally aspirated 5-valve per cylinder V8 engine is a torque monster. You only need to touch the accelerator a micron to get the sense of its power. And the best part is the mid-range pull, 3000-4000 rpms is where it really gets its grunt, right where you need it for passing. And how they find that balance between a suspension set up that is firm, but yet soft over the bumps never ceases to amaze me... remember this is a daily driver! Like I said, a daily driver also needs to have economy, this machine delivers in spades, considering it has 300HP, I have driven over 900kms on a single tank of gas... it's a big tank 90 liters, but if you drive it smoothly and gently, it can take you a long ways between fuel stops. Now for the area that is often used as its under-pinning... maintenance. Remember this is a $60,000 car new, that you have just bought 12 years old and it really comes down to how the previous owner(s) have treated it. I have a lot of experience with this area... my previous A6 (2000 A6 4.2) was a high mileage car (200+kms) when I bought it, it was very well kept (I reviewed the maintenance bills), and as I always do, I kept that car in near perfect condition over the 4 years I owned it, averaging about $2000 a year in repairs. But when I went to sell it, I had a line up of people wanting to buy it and sold it in 3 days for more then my asking price! When I have seen beat-up versions on sale for months and months.... I would not recommend you buying one of those! Now for the most important aspect of this car, the driving experience! It is nothing short of incredible... I'm not sure if the previous owner of my 2003 only ever drove it to church on Sunday, but this car feels "new". The steering is so tight and precise, even better then my 2000? The suspension is incredibly firm, yet it goes over bumps like they weren't there! What can I say about the Quattro system... well, it is the most amazing piece of engineering I have ever had the pleasure to drive. The other day, a rare occurrence when we had about 2" of packed snow on the 401 (5 lanes wide) and no one on the highway. I took the opportunity to feel the capability of drifting left and right a few times and it came back to center with the smallest corr

great car

by the driver from new york on Sun Mar 30 2014

my 2003 Audi a6 is sweet, quick on the move and fun to drive. Mike , Dave and Josh are bunch of great guys. They took good care of me and they take good care of guys. I recommend them to anyone looking for a good car.

Got the $$, go for it.

by al123 from ohio on Thu Aug 03 2017

I have had three Audi's in the last 7 years. '00 A6 2.8l, '03 A6 3.0l, '02 A4 1.8t The 3.0l felt powerfull. Quattro, ABS and ESP all make quite the difference in winter states. Very well-built, unfortunately engine blew because previous owner used the wrong oil and coolant so....car problem or user error? If you maintain an Audi PROPERLY with the correct fluids, you wont have too many problems.

2003 Audi A6 2.7T Quattro

by jcarroll2723 from Delaware on Tue Nov 22 2016

Nice Car, rides and performs well. It was a One owner vehicle. Nice features were included. Happy with this purchase.

Best Vehicle For The Money

by Thor from Peoria, IL on Mon Feb 09 2009

Excellent Vehicle. I have owned many BMW's and Mercedes, this is the single best vehicle I've ever owned. I had a newer Mercedes C Class and wanted to buy a car I could pay cash for and not have a payment...I hit the Jackpot! For the money you absolutelt CANNOT buy a better car. I would have paid for this car what I paid for the new Mercedes...it's that good.

1 2