2008 128

4.5

Have you driven the 2008 BMW 128?

BMW 128i

by Scotty Pumps from Atlanta on Wed Apr 15 2009

Wow, very nicely done. Excellent front room for even the largest person. Auto is not designed for adults in rear. Very quick, tight, well put together. Advise the leatherette vs. leather, no one will ever know and it wears forever.

in a class all its own

by Happy 128 buyer from DC on Thu Sep 09 2010

I had to say that I was skeptical when I was shopping for my next car. I was looking at 335's and G37's until a dealer had me test drive a 135...which as it turns out was as fast as my E46 M3. And, surprise, it felt very roomy inside and was a pure coupe, which I liked. In fact, I liked the interior more than the 3 series. So, one day I test drive the 128 and I realized that it's fun to drive, without extra insurance hassles that the turbo's got me. So, it's not a cheap out or bottom dweller. It's a very sporty, yet affordable, bimmer. It's built better than regular cars, has rear wheel drive spirit, and is a true coupe, meaning the platform is made for what it is, not to be shared among several different vehicles. I've grown accustomed to the exterior design and coworkers love its look. Of course, this is a bimmer, so all the toys you get from other manufacturers cost extra but I look at it this way, those toys are masking cheapo-front wheel drive or a bad ride. The underlying car is strong. And the engine is strong throughout most of its power band, although you can get caught below 2000RPM in second gear at times. It handles well and has the computer on board to help you out if you get too aggressive. Get the sport package. One regret is not getting the comfort access package and the cold weather package. I love the cheap manual seats, they fit my upper body better than the electrics.

by RedRocket from Ottawa Ontario Canada on Sun Aug 07 2011

Purchased from a private seller which is what I always do. Even tho car almost 3 yrs old, car looks new to me. 128 much better than 135 especially reliability and cost to maintain. Heck, I don't need twin turbos. BMW's are great fun especially if you learn to do simple things yourself. Join BMWCCA.

Lots of fun

by STUD from Houston, Texas on Fri Dec 26 2008

This convertable matched our list of needs: looks nice, luggage room, back seat is enough for us, fast, handles quickly, good reputation behind it, had all the bells and whistles.

I'm still smiling!

by Time to have some fun from San Diego, CA on Mon Apr 11 2011

Left the world of large sedans behind me for a 128i Convertible. Love the design - I have a growing respect for the house of BMW - the inline 6 cylinder never gets old. Now we're havin fun! Fits my lifestyle, easy to park, not too heavy on gas. Perhaps I should have looked at a BMW sooner.

First time BMW owner

by Desperado67 from Jacksonville, FL on Mon Sep 10 2012

I have had my BMW 128i coupe for a few weeks now and I have to say that I love it! The acceleration and handling are remarkable - quick but powerful. One of the most impressive qualities of the car is how quiet it is. With the windows up and the radio off, you hear the throaty bass of the engine at lower speeds, but it is whisper quiet otherwise. Even more impressive is how quiet the car is with the moonroof fully open, despite allowing in a tremendous amount of air flow. My vehicle is certified and has the extended service warranty through mid-2015. I hope that I don't have to use much of the warranty or service plan, but it is reassuring to know that I do have them given the costs of repairing BMWs.

Perfect size and performance for a female!

by Convertible sports car enthusiast from Honolulu, HI on Wed May 23 2012

This is a great little car. I have been a sports car driver for many years and have owned 3 other BMWs including a 330 and two Z-3s. I love the size...ample back seat, decent trunk that will fit luggage and groceries, very roomy driver/passenger areas, easy to park, and just a super fun car to drive. Handles like a dream and is very good on gas. I love my car!

100+ mph with the top down

by Backroad Reme from Scottsdale , AZ on Wed Feb 20 2013

Ive had my 2008 128i conv for 6 months. I traded in an Audi A3 that was self destructing. Wow what a difference. This car is solid, purposeful, extremely well balanced, has an amazing exhaust note.. really.. I really didnt expect it to be such a good sports car. Going 100+ mph with the top down and having a conversation is nothing. The back seat is real!! The more curves and hills, the more the car becomes zen like one with the road... that's very nice. It gets compliments and stares, another nice bonus. No troubles yet. The dealer service is first class. Mine was used with a full warranty. OK, I get about 22 mpg. For half the cost of a new one, and all the engineering, its an amazing car.

BMW 128i

by My new ride! from Paradise Valley, AZ on Mon May 12 2014

I'm loving this car so far! I was looking for a sporty convertible with a back seat, and this car fits the bill! Great acceleration and easy handling. Perfect with the top down or up. The seats are very comfortable and the trunk is surprisingly roomy for the size of the car.

What a fun car

by JoViDi from Woodbury, NJ on Fri Dec 14 2012

The BMW 128i that I own is a convertible and, by far, the most enjoyable car I've owned. Solid performance and reliability, great styling inside and out and excellent service from BMW. It is my first BMW and it won't be my last.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2008 BMW 128

Ah, spring. A time when convertibles stored away for the winter (at least in the Midwest, where our offices are) end months of hibernation with a spin in the warming weather. If you're looking to join the convertible club, BMW has added a model to the mix with its 1 Series, which is new to the U.S. for 2008. I tested a 128i convertible with the 230-horsepower inline-six-cylinder engine.

The 128i is everything you'd expect from BMW. It offers a robust engine, engaging rear-wheel-drive dynamics and communicative steering. It also comports itself well as a convertible (a coupe version of the 1 Series is also offered). What's bound to make buyers gasp, though, is the price tag for this pint-sized ragtop... Read More