2009 128

2009 BMW 128

2009 BMW 128

4.4

Have You Driven the 2009 BMW 128?

Love The Car, Hate the Run Flat Tires

by 993 loyalist from Scarsdale NY on Sat May 02 2009

We were the first customer to take delivery of the 1-series from the dealer. The brochures were not even in yet when we got our car. We have the premium and sport packages. Did not care for the iDrive nor their navigation system. This car brings a smile to our face everytime we drive it and the top goes down as long as it isn't raining and the temperature is above 50. There is only one thing wrong with the car - Run Flat Tires. They ride harsh, handles poorly and the sidewalls break easily. We had a bubble at 6000 miles. Dealer was not helpful. BMW did not want to hear from us. In my 35 years of driving, which included 4 Porsches with much lower profile tires, I have never had a sidewall break on me. If you go online and do a little research, you will find that these run flats are really more trouble than regular tires. They need the stiff sidewalls to hold up the car in the event of a flat. The stiff sidewalls creates a stiff ride. Since they don't flex as much, they are also easier to break. It you ever get a nail in the tire. you cannot repair it and maintain the speed rating which means you'll have to replace the tire. Autoweek calls them the half baked idea. My advice, avoid them at all cost.

great, but some undeveloped potential

by bimmer lover from California on Sat Nov 07 2009

The car overall is very good, but lacks quality in certain areas such as the rubber used to seal the passenger compartment and you dont 'Quite' get as much bang for your buck as you really should. The engine is extremely powerful for its specs and feels every bit of that 230 200. My only complaint with this car are a couple of minor design flaws with the engine and the RFT (run flat tires). In my opinion this car has the potential to be the highest quality highest performing entry level sports car in the world, if only BMW would stop skimping and hampering its own car in certain areas. Honestly, the car is overpriced by about 5k for its value. This car should be around 25k stripped, not 30k. If you want world class handling and performance for a decent price, and dont mind a few *minor hang ups and quirks, this is the car for you.

Red hot leather seats

by BMW CHICK from MD on Fri Dec 19 2008

Overall: I love this car! A bit expensive but well worth the wait. I custom ordered my car fully loaded with red leather seats, white exterior, black top, gray wood; it gets a lot of attention. Due to the aggressive colors when driving I repeatedly get other cars attempting to race; mostly males its hilarious. I considered the 3 convertible but just too big (exterior) with just about the same interior size. Comfort: cozy seat heaters, small back seat, smooth drive, fun acceleration Performance & Handling: all bmw, when I accelerate I feel and hear the power, corners scare most but not me Exterior: truck looks short, top up or down cute car, door handles illuminate when doors unlock Interior & Features: nice and simple, LOVE the new nav computer I really don't need an ipod because you can record all your cds on the cars computer, Reliability: only 3 months old

Nice first car for my teen daughter

by Jiti from Allen, Texas on Wed Jul 31 2013

I was looking around for a first car for my teen daughter and did 4-5 months of research on cars.com. The choice was between a VW Jetta and a BMW 128i. I am glad I chose a BMW 128i. It drives very well, feels solid and the engine has a sporty growl to it when pushed. I just wished it has a Bluetooth phone connection with the stereo but other than that we are very happy with our purchase.

Most fun car ever!

by CaG from Phoenix on Sun Apr 30 2017

We are only selling because we need a bigger sedan style for family. Such a fun and beautiful car-will miss her!

My 135i

by rmjames007 from Charlotte, NC on Mon Jul 16 2012

I got this car about a month ago now (in June). While I cannot rate the Value and the reliability fairly, I can tell you I am happy with the overall design of the car and performance of th e car. I would definity recomend that you get the option with the idrive system installed. The gas take is relatively small. I do enjoy driving it.

Sports Car Performance + Maturity = BMW 128i

by Doug the Bug from San Jose, CA on Tue Aug 13 2013

This car is perfect for me but that might not be saying much as it was probably designed for people like me. So, buy this car if you are like me! Ok, it would probably help to define who I am to see if you are a match (for the car). I am a young professional, who is starting to get nostalgic about my more youthful days past. I still want to have fun driving yet being seen by my coworkers/boss driving around in a brightly colored, spoiler adorned, shouty exhaust sports car would probably mean more than a few demerits to my reputation. Thus I wanted something that looks mature but is actually fun on the inside. This is exactly what the BMW 128i delivers. Everyone who sees me in it will think "Nice, he has a BMW, that is a good car" and I am thinking, "I wonder how fast I can take this turn?" And, on the plus side I can outrun many Porsche drivers in a straight line as well as the twisties without looking like jerk (I love Porsches, probably the best cars on the road but sad to say that they do make you look like a jerk). In summary: if it is time for you to grow up (like me) then go buy a BMW 1 series.

Most fun car I've ever had!

by Cg from Phoenix AZ on Wed May 10 2017

Love this car-sporty, classy, fun, dependable! My husband bought this car for me to enjoy, which I thoroughly have. It's just time for a larger car for driving my parents around. This car has everything and has been well kept. All service records are from a local reputable car dealership, which shows how well it has been cared for. You'll love driving it!

My first BMW.

by first time BMW owner from Paoli, PA on Mon Mar 29 2010

I have a 2009 128i CP. It is very fun to drive. I've had it for 3 months now and the "new" hasn't completedly worn off yet. It has very good brakes. Great pickup. It's fast. It is very comfortable. You will feel the potholes a little more because of the suspension but not a big deal. No back seat space but that isn't a biggie for me. I would recommend this car to anybody that isn't looking for a family car. It is stylish and has great curb appeal. I'm happy with my purchase. No problems at all.

What a fun car!

by New BMW Fan from Charlotte, NC on Mon Jan 16 2012

My BMW 128i convertible is a great car! The engine is peppy and it handles...well...like a BMW should! It is fun to drive but also has the comfort features that would be expected in a BMW. I was able to extend the warranty AND the maintenance program out to 100,000 miles which saves money overall and keeps the car in top notch shape.

1 2

Our Take on the 2009 BMW 128

Editor's note: This review was written in June 2008 about the convertible version of the 2008 BMW 128i. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2009, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

Ah, spring. A time when convertibles stored away for the winter (at least in the Midwest, where our offices are) end months of hibernation with a spin in the warming weather. If you're looking to join the convertible club, BMW has added a model to the mix with its 1 Series, which is new to the U.S. for 2008. I tested a 128i convertible with the 230-horsepower inline-six-cylinder engine.

The 128i is everything you'd expect from BMW. It offers... Read More