Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2005 330

2005 BMW 330

2005 BMW 330

4.5

4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have You Driven the 2005 BMW 330?

best ride i have ever owned

by bimmerlover6927 from Northeast Pennsylvania on Thu Mar 24 2011

I searched for about five years on and off, and then daily over the last two years to find a BMW. After researching exhaustively I discovered the 3 Series got the best Consumer Reports ratings, and the 330xi from 2005 got the best resale value ratings on all car assessment criteria, including suspension, mechanical function, overall performance, reliability, internal and external styling, and more. My initial search was for a 325xi, but after test driving several I found it did not have the power I needed. The 330 did. I bought a sharp black one with clean lines and an excellent finish. Had a nice fin on top, and sweet chrome exhaust pipes. Chrome trim shines. Black leather interior in perfect condition. The seat is one of the most comfortable I sit in. In fact, it is the best. Firm and reliable. I liked the older body style more than the newer one that came out in '06, mainly because I like the proportions and lines. Also, I didn't want all the new bells and whistles But the true test is in the driving. Friends, I'm here to tell you the BMW is everything they say it is, and more. It is most definitely the ultimate driving machine. Handling, cornering, hugs the road, stability control, pinpoint turning and maneuvering, and the acceleration is a thing of beauty that you have to experience. If this car were a sweet brunette I would take her everywhere and buy her everything. Come to think of it, she is, and I do. If you love cars and you love to drive, go get one. Today. But you can't have mine.

Classic Sporty Looks & Performance from BMW

by GeezerRockVA from Spotsylvania, VA on Wed Dec 28 2016

I bought a used 2005 330i, ZHP Performance Pkg, with 100K miles. I love the E46 3-series (1998-2006), and with the ZHP pkg it's a look that's absolutely classic, amongst the best BMW has produced. Many consider the E46 to be the best 3-series ever - and now owning one I can see why. The driving performance of this car is the best I've ever owned - it's built for the driver, and calls out to be driven! The inline-6 engine, which has been performance tuned on these ZHPs, has plenty of real-world usable punch - it's not a 500HP beast, but that's not what I wanted (you can't reasonably use that power on average roads, with average driving, anyway). But put your foot on the accelerator and it'll go forward - quickly...very quickly. Engine, transmission, and sport-tuned suspension provide an incredible combination - I find myself wanting to take the long way home every day, just to keep driving - it's really fantastic. The E46 series are really great used vehicles - I'm essentially driving a $50K luxury sport auto, and paid only 15% of that for the pleasure of owning one. I got a bit lucky - this one has been incredibly well taken care of over its life, and I happen to love maintaining my own vehicles, so that combination has really provided me the deal of the century on my particular car. But there are other great deals out there on fantastic E46 3-series BMWs - just look for ones that have been well-maintained (and in particular, look for ones who have had their cooling systems overhauled, or be prepared to do that soon after you purchase anything >80K miles -- if there are any signs of coolant leaks, cooling problems, significant oil leaks - you probably want to stay away). This is my fun mid-life crisis ointment right now, and it's made driving really really fun again and has been a real thrill owning.

A Great Used Car To Add Some Spice To Life

by Mike from Richmond, VA on Mon Dec 09 2013

I bought a used 2005 330CI with the M performance package, auto transmission, etc. @100k. 1) Fantastic drive! If your looking for a sports car this is it. 2) The paint job is quality from the manufacturer, so having your car polished really can bring the paint job back to new like status (people tell me my 8 yr old car looks new all the time!) 3) I bought one at 100k. It had a VGC leak and a bad thermostat which I was able to replace. So I'd say, be prepared to do some REASONABLE maintenance. That's just life. There are plenty of parts on Amazon. 4) After about 4k mikes of driving, I can't say enough how much I love it. Not just me but my wife as well! 5) These cars are are timeless- the last years of the E46 body style. If you can say "A great investment" about a car... it definitely should be said here. 6) If I has the money, I'd buy another one!

Perfect Balance

by keller747 from Fairfax, VA on Tue Feb 19 2008

Review of 2005 BMW 330CI, sports package This car is so well balanced it's ridiculous! Ergonomics are perfectly delivered for anyone 4'11 to 6'2 with the adjustable seat and telescoping/tilt wheel. Steering is tight and responsive at any speed. Adaptive headlights turn with the vehicle providing unrivaled night vision where you need it. Style is improved with the 18" rims as they really set off the car but the overall style is fabulous. BMW / Harmon Kardon stereo is enough for the average person but lacking if you are an audiophile. I would check out the stock replacement offered by BSW, Bavarian Sound Werks. A pleasure to drive at 30mph and 100mph. It's not a rocket but a well balanced sports car.

You get what you pay for

by OrthoDoc from San Antonio, TX on Sun Oct 04 2009

I needed a good commuter car to drive from home to the multiple hospitals and offices, and I could not be more pleased with the BMW. Utterly reliable, absolute joy to drive both on highways and twisty roads around my house. It is an excellent balance between luxury and sport. With the synthetic oil and excellent build quality, I only take it to the dealer every year or so. After four years, my only complaint is road noise from the low aspect tires on rougher road surfaces. That is it. I love cars - always have - and have read Motor Trend and Auto religiously growing up. They have always considered the 3 series the gold standard in its class. There are a number of worthy competitors like Lexus and Infiniti in this group, but they did not have quite the same feel as the BMW. I probably would have been very happy with the Infiniti G coupe had I never test driven the 330Ci. I recently tested a Cayman S - also an excellent car, but a bit rough and loud for a daily driver. Tried the Mercedes SL - very nice, too, but very heavy and unconnected in twisty roads. Again, the 330Ci seems to be perfectly balanced.

Great fun

by bimmer ragtop from Cherry Hill, NJ on Fri Feb 26 2010

I have long wanted a convertible, and found this particular model BMW to be a good value and price point. One of the last ragtops, it is a bit smaller and sportier in feel (to me at least) than the current hardtop convertible models. The 330 ci engine is smooth, powerful (not earth shattering acceleration but smooth consistent power). Lovely exhaust note. Too soon to speak about reliability but reputation is good. Cannot wait for that first spring day to put down the top, turn up the radio, and drive into the sunset...

Another Pony for the Stable

by Johnny from Chicago, il on Thu May 30 2013

This is my second concurrent BMW 3-series. Rare 4-door ZHP. If I had more space, I'd just fill it up with BMW's. These cars are not totally superior at any one thing such as 'most horsepower per pound'; however, the package is so nicely balanced and each component fits the whole so well, that the car is excellent overall: Nice acceleration, turn-in, braking, ergonomics, etc. This vehicle does everything I need it to do on a daily basis. At this vintage (E46), it's also very easy to do the maintenance myself.

Stunning to look at

by Enobrat from Los Angeles on Sun Sep 03 2017

Man these are such great cars to drive - 330Ci Convertible Fast, Responsive, Quiet, Quick, Comfortable Once you have driven a BMW you will never go back to another car.

I have no complains. The car runs really well.

by Casey468 from Richmond, VA on Sun Feb 11 2018

The car runs great and the guy who sold it to me was super nice. I literally got off work on a Friday, drove 12 miles to his house and purchased the car within an hour or so.

When was the last time you had FUN in a car?

by O2bsenna from Salt Lake City on Thu Mar 15 2018

The E46 chassis BMW is one of the most reliable 3 series ever made. While all old cars can have their issues, the expensive bits are very well-sorted and extremely reliable, especially with a manual transmission. It is light, eager, and always willing to make the drive entertaining.

1 2 3