2016 428 Gran Coupe

4.3 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.6 out of 5 starsReliability

Compelling and Fun

by Arkangel from Los Angeles, california on December 17, 2015

I've had the opportunity to drive the 428 Grand Coupe M sport for a while my 535D was at the dealer and I have to say it's been a compelling and fun car to drive. The first you notice is the engine noise and throttle response. When you hit the gas the engine screams and the throttle comes to life. You feel like you're in fast machine. However in terms of raw power it doesn't pull quite as well as the 535D. This is the sort of car that makes you want to go full throttle on the gas all the time. In terms of power you have just enough to enjoy going full power all the time without worrying about losing control. By comparison the 535D has more torque but if you're careless you will find yourself sideways fairly easily. The stock tires and steering settings work well especially with the M Sport package. There is plenty of grip in the tires and the steering feels taught and confident. It doesn't feel like there is very much the car can't do. Although I improved my grip on my 535D by discarding the run flats the steering ratio is very fast and it requires a far more precise inputs. This is where the 428 M-Sport really shines it doesn't require very much concentration or precision to get the most of the car's steering, just don't be an idiot driving it. In terms of cockpit space the 428 grand coupe has less real estate than the 535D. However the seats fit nicely and feel sporty. In terms of comfort the 428 grand coupe is quite good, in fact I was able to take a 1 hour nap in the vehicle so I can definitely vouch for the seats. In terms of space it's not a five series and I haven't tried sitting in the back. However from what time I've spent in it I can definitely say that the M-Sport 428 gran coupe is a fun and lively car to drive.

Fun car!

by Beemer Guy from Newport Beach, CA on August 6, 2016

My last two BMW's for 528I's. Both great cars. I was rear ended by an elderly driver while I was sitting still at a stop light with one car in front of me. I saw the car coming at me through my rear view mirror and in that instant knew I was going to get hard. It was obvious that the driver never even hit his breaks. I assume he had dementia. He hit me at about 40-50 miles per hour and crushed my car between his and the car in front of me. All airbags deployed. I was stunned but walked out of the car. That was three Beemers ago. Needless to say I was impressed! My car was a total wreck but saved my bacon. Been sold on these cars ever since. I have only owned the 428I for two weeks so I am just getting to understand all it's nuances. More sporty than the 5 Series. More road and wheel feel. So, a little more like a road car. I like that. Only two complaints: poor visibility out the rear window due to it's small size and due to the longer length of the trunk lid when I opened it it hit the bottom side of my garage door (while garage door was still open) and took a small gouge of paint out of the edge/end of lid. Never even entered my mind that that could happen. Bummed me out but I should have though of that. So before you decide to get this car be sure to measure the distance from ground to top of lid while open and compare that to the garage height with the garage door open.

The most beautiful BMW design with performance.

by BeemerLove on October 20, 2017

Its practical with 4 doors and good space for 5 passengers but at the same time a coupe design which gives it a beautiful aggressive sporty looks specially with the Msport package. Great driving experience and performance.

Very comfy and slick looking

by Julie D sport car fan from Modesto California on November 9, 2017

I went from a 3 series bmw to a 4 series bmw have not had it very long but I love my new car already

FUN CAR

by Hurst Mystery Shifter. from Littleton on April 10, 2018

This car is comfortable, better constructed than any American vehicle and a jewel to look at. The performance options are great and fun to drive.

Fantastic vehicle, always a fun and smooth ride.

by kstafford0 from Wichita Falls on February 18, 2018

Has a lot of get-up and go, quicker than some V-6 vehicles out there. Very good on gas mileage and easy to drive for commuting and longer drives.

Awesome

by Mayor Joe from Columbia, SC on September 7, 2017

This auto is exactly what we wanted and needed. It is super fast yet economical, and it has great styling. Great choice!

Beautiful Car

by William Smith from Killeen, TX on July 18, 2018

First time with a BMW, but I have to admit this is one nice car. From the exterior color to saddle brown interior this car has it all.

Great car. A bit pricey though

by tpg1970 from Dublin on May 8, 2017

Overall the BMW 428i with xdrive has been a good car. There are some notable pluses but also a few minuses.

Neet Sports Car for the Sport

by Porkchop from Huntsviulle Alabama on May 20, 2017

I actually own a 2015 Grand Coupe and wanted d to compare the 2016 to my 2015 428I. I love the car. It is truly a to performer. The only reason for not rating the overall rating 5 stars is the couple of features that I believe should have been included on this car. The first design feature I miss is the park and Hold feature that ai have on my 2011 535 BMW. another design feature is the lack of th over thre door hand holds which make getting in and out of this low slung grade Coupe presents. Again the over door hand hols are nice to have like in my 535. The other design feature in the 2015 428I that I recommend changing is the space between the accelerator and the break. On several occasions I have had my foor engage both petals at the same time. This is a major safety issue that I hope has been corrected by BMW.

1 2