2016 428 Gran Coupe

2016 BMW 428 Gran Coupe

2016 BMW 428 Gran Coupe

Have You Driven the 2016 BMW 428 Gran Coupe?

Compelling and Fun

by Arkangel from Los Angeles, california on Thu Dec 17 2015

I've had the opportunity to drive the 428 Grand Coupe M sport for a while my 535D was at the dealer and I have to say it's been a compelling and fun car to drive. The first you notice is the engine noise and throttle response. When you hit the gas the engine screams and the throttle comes to life. You feel like you're in fast machine. However in terms of raw power it doesn't pull quite as well as the 535D. This is the sort of car that makes you want to go full throttle on the gas all the time. In terms of power you have just enough to enjoy going full power all the time without worrying about losing control. By comparison the 535D has more torque but if you're careless you will find yourself sideways fairly easily. The stock tires and steering settings work well especially with the M Sport package. There is plenty of grip in the tires and the steering feels taught and confident. It doesn't feel like there is very much the car can't do. Although I improved my grip on my 535D by discarding the run flats the steering ratio is very fast and it requires a far more precise inputs. This is where the 428 M-Sport really shines it doesn't require very much concentration or precision to get the most of the car's steering, just don't be an idiot driving it. In terms of cockpit space the 428 grand coupe has less real estate than the 535D. However the seats fit nicely and feel sporty. In terms of comfort the 428 grand coupe is quite good, in fact I was able to take a 1 hour nap in the vehicle so I can definitely vouch for the seats. In terms of space it's not a five series and I haven't tried sitting in the back. However from what time I've spent in it I can definitely say that the M-Sport 428 gran coupe is a fun and lively car to drive.

An Eye-Catching Alternative to an SUV!

by SKipro from Syracuse, New York on Fri Aug 24 2018

I drove the 430i D iesel GranCoupe for four days this summer as a Hertz rental in Switzerland. Having owned four BMW automobiles, my expectations were high, and each was exceeded by this vehicle. First of all, it sports a handsome profile, particularly for a four-door sedan. What sets it apart most strikingly is the sloped roofline that flows into the 5th door-a hatchback. I had no idea beforehand that BMW created a hatchback cargo carrying option to a sedan that was not akin to the X4, X6 or GT models which, to me, appear to each suffer an identity crisis. They seem to be unable to determine if they are an SUV, crossover or sedan. The GranCoupe leaves no doubt as to its origins. It is a sports sedan on steroids. My rental had the sport package with sport seats, paddle shifter and, I believe a tighter suspension. If the later was not an option, then even more credit goes to BMW engineering for creating a four-door sedan that handles the hairpin curves of mountain roads like an "M Series", albeit without the neck-snapping power. But that was fine because even as a diesel-powered grown up it had plenty of gumption to take the steep grades and highway on-ramps with ease. The cabin was almost dead silent when cruising, and the engine barely audible when accelerating. The sport seats were encapsulating, perfect for aggressive driving and pleasant for highway cruising. Although I have always preferred the German style firm seat construction to the U.S. lounge chair variety, I do recognize that some uninitiated mortals prefer to lounge when mobile rather than truly drive a remarkably engineered road machine. My rental was equipped with all the latest gadgets for safety, including lane departure warning (not correction), blind spot warning and heads up display. I was quite skeptical about the first two intrusions upon my freedom of driving expression, although after a day or so, began to realize the benefit of having the "second, and perhaps more observant, set of eyes" at a driver's disposal. This tends to level the playing field when dealing with relatively carefree European road warriors for whom close range license plate inspection of any vehicle they may be closing on is a national pastime, as is the game of "guess which way I am going to pass you". The most surprising benefit, however, came from the heads up display that gave not only the vehicle speed but the posted speed limit as well. France and Switzerland are among the nations that have adopted "speed camera" enforcement in lieu of posting Smokey with a laser gun on under a bridge. It simply has to be a money maker, because they will tag you for as little as 5 mph over the posted limit, the fines are stiff and you never know it happened until that unwelcomed letter with a citation arrives in the mail. The speed limits follow the sine curve theory of physics and vary with such unpredictability that the unwary are raw meat for the hungry cameras. Unless you have a heads up display that sticks the changes right in front of you, the unpleasant letters in your mail after driving in Europe should come as no surprise. My next car is sure to have this feature. Regardless of what it costs, it will pay for itself by avoiding traffic infraction fines. All things considered, this BMW model is as good as it gets, at least for someone like me. I prefer more room than my 3 series has offered and still want the feel of a true road machine that can also haul ski equipment and lawn furniture in the back end without being a wagon or SUV. In fact, my search for a 4 series Gran Coupe has begun. Well done Hans.

Fun car!

by Beemer Guy from Newport Beach, CA on Sat Aug 06 2016

My last two BMW's for 528I's. Both great cars. I was rear ended by an elderly driver while I was sitting still at a stop light with one car in front of me. I saw the car coming at me through my rear view mirror and in that instant knew I was going to get hard. It was obvious that the driver never even hit his breaks. I assume he had dementia. He hit me at about 40-50 miles per hour and crushed my car between his and the car in front of me. All airbags deployed. I was stunned but walked out of the car. That was three Beemers ago. Needless to say I was impressed! My car was a total wreck but saved my bacon. Been sold on these cars ever since. I have only owned the 428I for two weeks so I am just getting to understand all it's nuances. More sporty than the 5 Series. More road and wheel feel. So, a little more like a road car. I like that. Only two complaints: poor visibility out the rear window due to it's small size and due to the longer length of the trunk lid when I opened it it hit the bottom side of my garage door (while garage door was still open) and took a small gouge of paint out of the edge/end of lid. Never even entered my mind that that could happen. Bummed me out but I should have though of that. So before you decide to get this car be sure to measure the distance from ground to top of lid while open and compare that to the garage height with the garage door open.

Surprisingly versatile, lots of fun.

by waterloorick on Fri Jul 27 2018

I have had my pre-owned 2015 428 Grand Coupe for two months now, and it is my favourite BMW of the several I have owned over the years (128, 135, X1, X3, 528). I love that when I'm sitting in the low-slung drivers seat, I feel like I'm in a sporty car (if not exactly an outright sports car), yet I have the everyday functionality of a four door sedan, and the utility of a hatchback - I call it my mini-SUV! As a cyclist, I love that I can quickly and easily pop down the back seats and load a bike in the hatch without any effort. The driving experience hits the sweet spot for me - put it in Sports mode (which I typically do) and it is responsive and quick, yet you don't pay for that fun factor with a jarring ride. Want to be a bit of a hooligan? Pop the shifter over into "manual" mode and use the paddle shifters, and get ready for a big old grin on your face. This car is a delight! If you have the choice, get the "Comfort Access" option with the "no touch" hatch entry - wonderful!

FUN CAR

by Hurst Mystery Shifter. from Littleton on Tue Apr 10 2018

This car is comfortable, better constructed than any American vehicle and a jewel to look at. The performance options are great and fun to drive.

Beautiful Car

by William Smith from Killeen, TX on Wed Jul 18 2018

First time with a BMW, but I have to admit this is one nice car. From the exterior color to saddle brown interior this car has it all.

The most beautiful BMW design with performance.

by BeemerLove on Fri Oct 20 2017

Its practical with 4 doors and good space for 5 passengers but at the same time a coupe design which gives it a beautiful aggressive sporty looks specially with the Msport package. Great driving experience and performance.

Great car. A bit pricey though

by tpg1970 from Dublin on Mon May 08 2017

Overall the BMW 428i with xdrive has been a good car. There are some notable pluses but also a few minuses.

Neet Sports Car for the Sport

by Porkchop from Huntsviulle Alabama on Sat May 20 2017

I actually own a 2015 Grand Coupe and wanted d to compare the 2016 to my 2015 428I. I love the car. It is truly a to performer. The only reason for not rating the overall rating 5 stars is the couple of features that I believe should have been included on this car. The first design feature I miss is the park and Hold feature that ai have on my 2011 535 BMW. another design feature is the lack of th over thre door hand holds which make getting in and out of this low slung grade Coupe presents. Again the over door hand hols are nice to have like in my 535. The other design feature in the 2015 428I that I recommend changing is the space between the accelerator and the break. On several occasions I have had my foor engage both petals at the same time. This is a major safety issue that I hope has been corrected by BMW.

Very reliable

by Mandeej from Bedias on Sat Aug 11 2018

This vehicle is so great on gas and the ride is very smooth. Not to mention, this is by far the sexiest car I've ever had the pleasure to drive.

1 2

Our Take on the 2016 BMW 428 Gran Coupe

Editor's note: This review was written in May 2015 about the 2015 BMW 428 Gran Coupe. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2016, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

Now the fifth (!) body style in the growing 3/4 Series family, the 2015 BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe hatchback may be the best four-door of the bunch.

It's easy to understand the appeal of BMW's 3 Series and 4 Series four-door and two-door models. It isn't easy to understand how the company names all the many varieties of both.

For 2014, BMW reintroduced the 3 Series coupe under a new name, 4 Series, and rolled out the peculiar 3 Series Gran Turismo four-door hatchback... Read More