Read or write a review.

4.4
Average based on 18 reviews

Solid

by from Scranton, PA on June 10, 2009

I bought my 528i used. I was concerned with how well it would hold up considering what I've heard about BMW upkeep. After owning it for a few months, I knew i had nothing to worry about. This car handles amazingly. It's got a good deal of speed, especially if you have the sports package. My friends own BMW's as well. One has a 330ci and the other has a 745i. They're both beautiful vehicles, but theirs are newer than mine and constantly in the shop! The 5series has everything you want. It looks and drives amazing. I've only had to replace the battery. My only complaints would be that the brakes go pretty quick. If you purchase this car, heres a hint, use 93 octane. It makes the car run awesome.

best car you can buy

by from on May 14, 2010

i have owned 2. most reliable, best performing car for the money. and not expensive to fix like everyone thinks. especially bc it never needs anything.

Rock solid 528i

by from New York, NY on March 29, 2008

This car has outperformed my highest expectations. It drives beautifully, is quick enough and handles well enough both to be fun and to get me out of trouble. An added bonus is that the car's styling seems to be timeless--like a Brooks Brothers suit--it was never extremely hip or flashy, but it will never look outdated. The car has 110,000 miles on it, and I plan to keep it going forever. OK, the cupholders are really awful.

Outstading Cars

by from on January 21, 2011

I have a 95 5-series with 200,000 miles and am the original owner. In 16 years, no major maintenance, and although I have a bunch of small problems (power windows, leather seats ripping, door locks...) the engine runs GREAT and I do not take care of my cars. I even drive mine on dirt roads and at 80 mph every day to work. Fix it yourself and save lots of cash, they are easier to work on than any Chevy. Don't buy expensive parts from the dealer. The engines are good to 300,000 miles, trans to 400,000 miles. Get one and ride to work or play better than your buds in a brand new (and really expensive) Honda, etc. I still get 28-32 mpg (highway) with my old 5-series. I like this 99 528, and live close-by and need another car...hmmmm.

One of the great cars to own

by from Bethesda, MD on January 8, 2008

I have had my 528 for 8 years and I still love it. I like the styling and how solid it feels. The car handles great, has superb breaks and pretty good acceleration. At times I have coveted to had a 540, but for the price, and what I could afford at the time it was perfect. Before this I drove a VW Jetta GLI. The down payment of my 528 was more than the price I paid for my Jetta which I purchased new also. So when I drove my car home from the dealer I got this weird feeling of whether I just paid all this money of the BMW logo. That's is for sure not the case. I have enjoyed driving this car everytime I have gotten in. On the maintenance end, it is a bit on the expensive side, but that's the price you choose to pay when you own a BMW. The only complaint I have about this car is that the rear taillight tends to go out often. Unlike all other BMW parts, the light bulb is only a few dollars and a snap to change yourself.

dont believe all the horror stories

by from Capitol city PA on October 10, 2012

what more could possibly be said about the 528i. a breathtaking ride in possibly the most well known style BMW is something few people get to appreciate but something everyone should experience. they don't call it the ultimate driving machine for no reason. this car does have its flaws but with enough research any mechanically inclined person can work on these cars with ease... provided you use the correct tools. the only real problem i had with the e39 was the cup holders. the car runs and drives like a dream, I've literally never driven anything like a BMW.i drove this car up and down the east coast, i bought one in Florida and drove it home to Pennsylvania. I drove back and fourth from Pennsylvania to various states such as North Carolina, Virginia, and Massachusetts, and was making these trips every other weekend for better part of 4 years. i ended up blowing the head gasket and found out there were three small cracks in the head. i drove the car from Chesapeake VA, to the Pennsylvania-Maryland state line with the temp gauge in the red (3 hours of driving in the red) before the head gasket finally blew, i had to dolly it the rest of the way home, but after i had the head replaced the car ran better than ever it was like brand new again up until about two weeks ago when i drove it off the road through someones yard and into a ditch, now its totaled which brings me here. I've driven many cars and trucks but nothing can compare to a BMW.

This car hugs you!

by from Virginia on April 19, 2011

Holds the road like it's glued down, steers with precission. Very powerful. Broken in while in EU. Easy on 87 oct., gasoline. Only 1 battery replacement in 11 years. Low maintaince. Downside is that windshield fogs up and it's hard to keep clean if you happen to be damp or rained on and has a blind side issue, be vigilant, always look over your shoulder before changing lanes. This was my 3rd Beemer.

The Ultimate Driving Machine!

by from Los Angeles, Ca on November 26, 2008

I bought my sport premium edition when it was three years old and now it will be ten. I can't say enough about this car. One of the many things I'm impressed with is it's handling. It does not have any play in the steering and when I make sharp turns around corners it never lifts up or bobbles. It has been very reliable. I decided to add a few high performance parts and have a little more power than before. It's not like I needed it, I just wanted to make my little monster a bit bigger. It's truly the ultimate driving machine.

Very nice vehicle

by from Chicago on April 2, 2012

I'm very satisfied with my purchase, a lot of vehicle for the price and only a few manageable and minor repairs to restore to excellent condition.

Great car for the price

by from Dallas, TX on June 16, 2006

Tight handling and steering. Car is not a speed demon, but has nice acceleration. Great sound system with 6 CD changer in the trunk. Very good value for the way this car has been maintained.

Similar Models