Model Details

4.5
Average based on 20 reviews

2003 530i

by from New Jersey on July 11, 2010

Great engine provides solid performance and car also handles well, especially cornering. Talk about awful reliability though! Just terrible. It only has 70k on the clock and is routinely in the shop for one thing or another, and each time it is $1-2k. I thought it was just me, but if you look on the BMW blogs you find that everyone has the same issues - doors that suddenly lock permanently, burning smell in the cabin, fan in the engine runs when the car is turned off so the battery is always dead, leaking doors etc etc. Japanese from now on!

Great handler, black with black interior.

by from Richardson,tx on December 19, 2011

Car has good performace and great handling, the steering is excellent with good feedback. The power seats and the radio display are messed up like in most of the ones I looked at around this age. Leather and interior are in excellent shape. Interior storge is very limited and cup holders are useless. CD player doesn't seem to be able to play MP3 CD's but can play home made music CD's. Paint is still in great condition

BMW

by from Kansas on January 28, 2011

BMW 530 much better car compere to Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Volvo S60. Every one have to try drive that car once in life time. Very enjoyably to drive. BMW - people saying ultimate driving machine and I agreed with that. :)

mine has 311000 miles

by from lebanon on November 24, 2015

I have an 03 e39 530iA sport package and it has 311000 miles and still drives like new, all original with no issues great car fast with class. rides great handles even better and gets looks everywhere I go. Impressive stereo, and style but seats aren't fat boy friendly lol but I would buy it again definatly worth it

Best Car I Ever Owned

by from East Coast, USA on October 21, 2015

I recently just turned in my 2003 530i (e39) after hitting the 100,000 mile marker. Didn't do so because of the mileage but rather I wanted to get a more Winter friendly family orientated SUV (went with a pre-owned 2010 X3 6 speed manual). While I like my new ride, I do miss the sportiness that came with the e39. I was still getting complements on the exterior of that 11 year old classic BMW look before I sold it. Aside from the cup holder annoyance (which I found a better fix for) and the usual maintenance that is know for this car, it ran like a champ and was rarely in the shop. If you find one with low mileage, grab it and go have fun, just be sure to get yourself a set of Winter tires if you plan on seeing snow in it.

Great when bought used

by from VA on May 15, 2008

I bought my 2003 530i used in Nov 2006. With the luxury package and the cold weather package and extended full service, the bill ran up to 30K. Mine is a 530i with a 5 speed manual. I am very satisfied with my purchase. The manual makes this car a treat to drive. Its exhilarating to be able to make this car go from 80 mph to 100 mph with only a slight tap of the gas. Of course, I wouldn't recommend it :) but I love it rach time I am able to do that. So far I've not had any maintenance issues. My only complaints are the absence of auto dimming side view mirrors (the rear view is auto dimming, so why the heck couldn't they do the same with side view mirrors?!), an average music system and tight room in the rear. Luckily I rarely have someone sit in the back. This car is a treat to drive. The gears shift very smoothly and the 5th gear has a lot of juice so I am able to easily coast in 5th in a 35 mph zone. I don't recommend driving this car in the snow with regular tires though. The reason I say great when bought used it because the full sticker price is 45K+ and somehow the gripes become bigger at that price. I'd rather let someone wealthier than me bear the depreciation :). I think this is true for all BMWs.

fun,sporty and luxurious car!!!

by from colchester, CT on May 16, 2011

We looked and test drove several vehicles before purchasing our beamer! So glad we didn't buy the first one we saw and took our time looking on cars.com!! Easy to use sight helped us narrow down the car we wanted!! We love our beamer!!!

Great ride

by from california on February 26, 2008

The cup holders are not practical.Don't be fooled by the size of this car,it handles great .I also enjoy the M package on this car it's a must.

truly remarkable

by from Los Angeles, CA on July 15, 2010

I have had this car for about a year now and i cannot imagine driving anything else. It is very comfortable and corners better than cars that are much more smaller than it. Truly an incredible car.

BMW

by from California on August 12, 2006

I have had Benz and BMW and let me tell you BMW is a lot better car and you get alot for your money. Drive BMW and you will never go back to Benz.