Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2001 540

2001 BMW 540

2001 BMW 540

5 out of 5 stars Performance
5 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have You Driven the 2001 BMW 540?

Love owning BMW 540i!

by AJ from Northern CA on Sat Jun 28 2014

I've owned a 2000 BMW 540i sport 5 yrs ago and I loved it - had to let it when I moved. Now I own a 2001 model, what a joy it is to ride! Other cars in this class do not compare to 540i & I've owned many top of the line V8 sedans (Lexus, Infiniti, Jaguar & Cadillac) - this BMW just does everything better, I like it more than a Mercedes Benz or Audi. Now, as any BMW, it does require more $$ on service than a Japanese car (I'd say $1,000 a year more), but if maintained properly, this car would serve you well for a long time. If you want to buy a used 2001 540i, they are a great value now. Find a well maintained 540i with a clean title, Carfax report & all service records (whether it was maintained by dealer or independent mechanic). If you buy it from a kid in his 20s, chances are high its been raced or neglected & behind on mechanical maintenance - then you'll have to invest a lot of money to fix someone's problems. Now, if you will own this car: find a trustworthy, independent shop that charges much less than $200+/hr that a dealer would (my mechanic charges 4 times less). Also, buy parts from Amazon, etc. (I save 70+% compared to retail prices). So when you need to do a tune up - you'll pay 80% less, enjoy riding this beauty/beast more & spend the money you save on a nice vacation.

Best car ive ever had

by Rhino822 from Chicago il on Sun Aug 06 2017

Meet all my needs. Perfext powet, perfect looks. E39 or go home. Everytime i get in the car its absolutely breath taking.

Very fun Sedan. Very Reliable. Very Fast

by Bradley from Greer, SC on Sat May 12 2018

Everything I look for in a European Sport Sedan! Safe and Secure, Beautiful, Stylish, easy to maintain, Fast! One of the best vehicles I've ever owned out of 31 cars!

Best BMW I've Ever Owned

by 60 Nomad from Connecticut on Wed Jun 16 2010

I bought an 01 540I 6speed manual w/sports pkg last summer. It's the closest thing to an M5 without the extra 100 ponies and $$$$ parts. It's a rocket ship and a pleasure to drive. Handles like a dream w/Z rated tires. I've owned it for a year w/ no problems. Bought it w/124K w/all service records. Only issue was a blown radiator hose last February. Pixels on the dash will go and the cupholders are fragile. That's about all on the downside. This is my 4th 5 series starting with a 72 Bavaria. Great cars. My last 5er was an 89. I owned it for 10 years and put over 150K on it w/ no problems. I bought it w/95K. My son still drives it to school. I highly recommend the 540I w a stick. It's an awsome vehicle to drive.

This was my car

by Ed from Nirthridge ca on Sat Aug 04 2012

This exact car belonged to me. It s a great vehicle and has an added Dinan Chip not mentioned in this ad. The only problem is the cooling system. I maintained this car carefully and kept a waranty on until I traded It in this May. I installed the XM radio system too. Lot of fun to drive but with the stick stay out of heavy traffic.

Best Car I've Ever Owned

by AJ from Indian Wells on Tue Aug 07 2018

This has been an exceptional car and has done everything I've asked of it in superior fashion. The reliability has been fantastic and maintenance minimal. I love this car and truly hate to have it up for sale. But the time has come to move into something else. I'm strongly considering another BMW and taking a good look at the 550's. Basically the same car but newer. I can only hope to have the same luck with my new car as I've had with this 540I. It's truly been a fantastic ride!

Stellar performance and luxury sedan

by andlloyd from Los Angeles, CA on Tue Oct 16 2018

Outstanding driver's vehicle that comes as close to having it all as you can get - power, great looks, pinpoint handling, comfort and luxury. It has its issues but on the whole, reasonable to own and maintain. Great driving excitement.

Our Take on the 2001 BMW 540

Get you where you want to go quickly yet nimbly thanks to engines and suspension systems designed to complement one another.

Not machines for everyone, however. There's a price to pay for being able to motor aggressively, the primary one being suspensions tuned to force the vehicles to sit flat in corners and turns for agile handling, but in doing so sacrifice a cushioned ride. If the backside is tender, visit the Mercedes store.

A combination of firm sports-tuned suspensions and firm, actually too firm, seats with rib-poking side bolsters are designed for those whose goal is to drive rather than ride. Though as we've said numerous times, a little more padding in the bottoms, a little... Read More