2004 545

2004 BMW 545

2004 BMW 545

4.5

4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have You Driven the 2004 BMW 545?

Most stylish design of any car on the road!

by MBA Entrepreneur from Los Angeles, CA on Sat Feb 20 2010

This vehicle allows you to conquer the asphalt in sleek sophisticated style with passing power and on-rails handling. The 545i possess power and agility, and it looks better than the newest 5-series of 2010. The 545i has better handling and fuel economy than the 550i because of its smaller and lighter motor, and is sheer driving pleasure. Skip the navigation on used cars; a hand-held unit is much more up to date.

Performance + Comfort + Style = ULTIMATE!

by Mr.Groove from Shawnee Valley, PA on Thu Jul 07 2011

My wife an I have also a 2007 335i Twin Turbo, which is an amazing car, so upgrading our 99 528 was a challenge. I was going to get an M5 e39 (2003), but had a change of heart and I don't regret for a single moment! The 545i V8 has tons of power and performance that almost equals the e39 M5, but with the new body, and gadgets . . . plenty of them! As for all BMWs, I believe that the sport suspension is a must; With that said, the 545i manages to deliver an excellent performance suspension without loss of comfort. The comfort seats are absolutely unbelievable! The engine purrs (if you make an effort to hear it from inside the super quiet cabin). I have the Head Up Display, to which I became addicted. Mine is a manual 6-speed transmission and shifts like butter! I did have the CDV altered, so no jerky shifts from 1st to 2nd gear. The sound system (Logic 7) rivals my recording studio! I always go check the mixes in the car! The active suspension is truly remarkable. You can put that big comfy car on a pin curve and it doesn't even tilt! It is a dream car. Better than that, just an e60 M5 ... or the new M5, for that matter! As for the reliability, this is our 11th BMW. From a 1984 320 to now, there is no other way to go, but BMW. Cost of repairs? Which repairs?

best BMW ever had

by Roman from Boston,Ma on Tue Aug 14 2012

545 is my 4rth and by far most favorite bimmer i've had.I got it after driving an E39 M5 for a few years,so in in a way it was a step down(it's not as fast and feels less sporty overall). BUT, ride comfort,gas mileage,ext/int design makes it an amazing vehicle to drive and to have! not to mention the maintenance costs; had the car for a couple of years and put 20k miles on it and it needs nothing. and contrary to popular believe the IDRIVE is very easy to use-love it.I would prob keep it for as long as i can.

2004 BMW 545i w/ sports package

by Antiprodigy from Western Maryland on Thu Oct 30 2014

Very nice car. I purchased used with 30k on it, and have put nearly 100k on the car over the past 5 years. I have only had to replace a battery & brakes. Expensive repairs, but wear items that you have to replace on any car. Very important point with these cars. If you change oil at the manufacturer's 15k interval, you will develop oil leaks prematurely in seals. I have replaced oil at 7-8k interval throughout, and had no seal issues so far. Seals go, eventually on all cars, and some can be expensive on this car, so make sure you know the cars history first! Understand what you are purchasing. If you are looking for a car that is cheap to repair, you shouldn't be looking at any German manufacturer. Having said that, at speed, there are very few cars you will ever drive with the capabilities of this car. And if you must have good handling, and feel, you will not be disappointed. 130k and cruising. Hoping for at least 200k.

It's the best BMW old or new.

by Businessplanner from ORANGE, NJ on Wed Nov 29 2017

I have 1988 735i with 133,000 miles, and my 2004 545i show 162,000. This car is fun to drive and it tries to do 0 - 100 if you take your eyes off the meter. I had transmission filter changed and serviced and the regular service and I change the brakes myself. I have pushed my 545I BMW and the car won't die. I think when you drive a BMW hard you help clean the sludge off the valves like a self-cleaning oven. Because the car stands up to the road driving punishment, you have to be prepared to do the repairs without complaining one bit. To me this car is faithful with 162k miles. I had the dealer replace the oil pressure switch, because they leak as they get old. But the switch was under the coolant bottle and I could replace it myself. I could beat myself for giving that simple job out. I love this car, I am only sorry I could buy it sooner like my 1988 735i.

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by Harrystickshift from Washington, DC on Tue Jan 22 2013

Very reliable, great suspension, very comfortable. You have to keep your eyes on the odometer it is so smooth you forget how fast you are travelling. Great bang for the buck, I love it so.

Love the Comfort Seats - Great for tall drivers

by BMW Fan from Atlanta, GA on Mon May 14 2012

I wasn't sure if I should get the big V8 with the current gas prices, but I am sure glad I did. I have a lot of fun using the power, and I am still getting 21.5 MPG in Atlanta trafic with my 545i. Don't buy a BMW without trying the comfort seat option, because they are awesome. The comfort seats have the wings that wrap around your neck, and the side support. Awesome power, handling, and comfort! Nothing beats a BMW!

this car gets an F- for reliabillity. Leaks!!!!!!

by DrDon from Denver on Tue Apr 10 2018

kinda cool looking. Looks slow abut isn't. Handles like nothing else on the road but leaks from every seam. Leaves puddles of oil everywhere. BMW certified mechanic told me to plan on pulling motor and trans once a year to redo gaskets. No Excuse!!!!

Does not recommend this car!!

I'd be foolish not to buy it.

by Lucky Duck from Orange County California on Thu Dec 21 2017

The car had out-of-state plates and was 2 years out. It had a transmission problem I was not sure about. Steering fluid was low as well as coolant. 111000 MI engine was replaced with a used one having 60,000. Sitting in the back of my buddies car lot for 6 months, a dead battery also. A big dent in the rear door driver side. Really nice aftermarket tires and wheels. After chatting 20 minutes we went back to the car and it fired right up. No check engine light. 9 miles to empty on 6 month old fuel. I'm thinking this doesn't look good. It goes in gear no problem. Let it run for a while and turned it off came back the next week and it started without a jump. I took it for a drive and bought it. $1,800. I figured what the heck the tires and wheels cost more than that. Don't hate me for being so lucky. The tranny problem was a solenoid. And I have no idea why the coolant and steering fluid was low because none of it is leaking. My buddy did me right. But I'm still waiting to see some steering fluid because that stuff doesn't evaporate. Needless to say how could I not be satisfied! The reviews on this car are pretty accurate. I've only had it for about 90 days but I'd say like I said in the beginning, I'd be foolish to not buy it. So I did. And I'm glad I did. Definitely a big step up from a 99 Caravan with a blown head gasket. Right?

Simply Outstanding

by Mercedes lover from Calgary on Tue Jun 24 2008

I'm a big merc fan but i must say the double vanos and just the pure driving pleaseure that i get out of the 545i or any BMW for that matter can not be touched by Audi, Mercedes or any other premium car brand. The car handles great especially with the dynamic drive. The power is always there when you need it and it is a very comfortable ride still feeling the road. The i drive system i must say was hard to learn but once you learn it, it's great (bluetooth, I pod and vehicle status)

1 2 3