1999 M3

1999 BMW M3

$76 - $24,376  MSRP Range
1999 BMW M3

Have you driven the 1999 BMW M3?

This Sports coupe is like a great wristwatch...

by E36M3BMW from Dallas, TX on Wed Sep 07 2011

The 1999 BMW E36 M3 coupe is the car for the everyday driver who demands integrity in a product, confidence in it's capabilities, and prestige beyond the reaches of average sports cars. Like a great wristwatch, the M3 can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. Meaning that the daily abuse of city roads congested with traffic and potholes, the vehicle maintains it's superior handling and driveability characteristics' with outstanding looks and the luxury which BMW is held to upkeep from their reputation. The common maintenance at the regularly scheduled intervals is crucial for any high performance engine and the 3.2 litre inline 6 is no exception, for high heat and hard driving is, well, hard on it. Overall, it can take what ever you can give it and keep on accelerating and unlike what a drug addict describes as rush of joy which can only be felt the first time, the throttle provides a crisp exhaust note and the ultimate adrenaline machine never disappoints you (nor will it steal your wallet). Not that BMW; especially any "M" car, is cheap, but the owner can maintain this car themselves without the painful cost of dealership service rate charges. You get what you pay for truly applies here because the quality and the BMW 'M' expertise and knowledge combined with a passion for building and engineering and designing such an extraordinary automobile whose form follows function is certainly obvious for anyone well versed in automotive experience. I personally have been working as a valet parking attendant as well as being a mechanic now for 13+ years. Therefore, I have driven every North American make and model, import and domestic, in every stage of a car's condition from old junkers to extra exotic super-lux Bentleys and Ferraris straight off a showroom floor (thanks to new car dealer salesmen who regularly visited some of the highend restaurants I work for). Out of all the cars, I still am happy and love to get the privilege to drive my Bimmer at the end of the day. Now that it is 12 years young, it's had minor repairs necessary but nothing I wouldn't expect such as the cooling system (radiator, thermostat, water pump, and hoses) replaced. The rear suspension gave me trouble a few years back when the shock mounts had cracked the point in the chassis where they bolt on in the trunk area. Easy fix and inexpensive at under $100 and has not even so much as squeaked since then. The manual transmission is bulletproof. I mean that it has operated flawlessly without any maintenance and I even upgraded the factory clutch and flywheel to lighten the strain and boost torque with HUGE gains. The Harmon/Kardon hi-fi stereo system is unparalleled and has clear loud sound and the stylish comfortable leather seats are beautifully appointed as well as durable. The only item I have had to replace twice is the left front fog lamp. The glass lens has cracked both times it hasn't shattered or left me in the dark but needed replacement anyway, however for being made of glass and mounted front facing only a few inches from the road, and not completely falling to pieces, it is by far still a remarkable part. Rightfully so for a remarkable car. Nowadays can be found for reasonable prices and have infinite potential due to the fact that they are, "built like they used to be" .

E36 M3

by Jerhaad from San Jose, CA on Tue Oct 11 2011

The E36 M3 is largely under valued, so get one before they become classics. The US version, although underpowered from their Euro brothers, has plenty of torque and horsepower to have tons of fun. They make great daily drivers and weekend warriors. They're small and fast with excellent handling. With just a few minor tweaks they can be twisty mountain champions, supplying all the adrenaline fueled g-forces you could want. As for reliability, the manual transmission is carefree for those of us who know how to use a clutch and the engine, when properly cared for, will be strong for 300k miles or more. Get yours before no one wants to sell them anymore!

So fun to drive

by 10 year M3 owner from Edina, MN on Wed Mar 14 2012

I've owned my '99 M3 for 10 years - it has over 150k miles on it and has been wonderful. It is so fun to drive - light, responsive, fast and it provides great feedback to the driver. Highly, highly recommended.

good sleeper value

by chris from johnstown, ny on Wed Jul 15 2009

My 99 m3 appears relatively old on paper only. These are a real value providing agility, durability, style, power in an affordable jacket. A backyard mechanics dream with hordes of info on the web for projects. A friend with a 08 tsx said my 99 m3 was tighter and faster (than his tsx). Find a well maintained and adult driven one with good milage and you'll be pleased with it's reliability and enduring good looks.

German cars are built to last

by The Greek from on Wed Nov 26 2008

I owned several Bmw's including two 3 series which both went over 150,000 miles with no major problems but regular tune ups and maintenance. The M3 I have is a 1998 M3 Sedan automatic black on black. I bought this car used which was in excellent condition. Only thing was a few scratches just like any other car when buying it used. Even though its an automatic and a four door it still pushes hard and is very fast. The most surprising thing about this car is that it has over 221,000 miles and is still running like new. German cars are the best.

OMG, it's addictive to drive!

by getting sideways from Los Angeles on Fri Oct 30 2009

A lifelong fan of Japanese automotive engineering and reliability, I was nervous about buying a German car. I bought my 1999 M3 Convertible about a month ago and am a little surprised by what, compared with Japanese cars, are some interior ergonomic quirks. Like, the last time I used a dashboard-mounted headlight switch was in a 1970s American car - what's up with that? Such minor niggles aside, this car is totally addictive to drive. I'm just blown away by the feel you get when you rev to the redline, the excellent handling, the sure-footed braking. It's a combination of all that is good in other cars I've driven and loved, wrapped into one. The seats are so comfortable (and heated - how decadent!!), and this thing seems to be wired straight to your brain. The result: high confidence, slicing through traffic with surgical precision, blowing pretty much anyone and everyone away. It's especially entertaining to toast over-priced SUVs like Range Rovers or Lexus whatevers, or watch macho men attempting to drive their GM-built trucks fast fade in the review mirror, but it's such a no-contest as to be almost unfair. This car is pure joy and delight behind the wheel, a sunny antidote to tough times. I am highly impressed with -- and have a blast driving -- my 1999 M3 convertible. I can't wait to hop in and drive it again. (NOTE: The website forced me to enter a rating for reliability in order to submit the review. I've only had the car a month, so I can't really say how reliable it is.)

Great Power and Phenominal Handling

by 10ASHUS from Auburn, WA on Sat Nov 10 2007

The 1999 (E36) M3 is the second BMW I've owned. I traded up from a 1996 328. It is great to have power, superb handling, and the flexibility of having 4 seats. WARNING - once you drive a BMW Motorsports (M) Car, you won't want to drive anything else.

Fun, Fun, Fun

by Luv Freeway On-ramps from Seattle on Sun May 06 2007

The 1999 BMW M3 is the second BMW I've owned, the first being a 1996 328. The M3 has exceptional handling and balance. The power output is just about right, although not overpowered. The road feel and cornering performance are legendary. The car talks to you. I spent 6 months on the web looking for the right features in the Estoril Blue color, which was worth the wait.

super sleeper 1999 black on black M3 Coupe

by nyc-asia from se asia on Fri Jul 13 2007

I just picked up this dream car from a redeploying diplomat changing his posting to a dangerous country. Because he wanted to avoid future carjacking (he was going more low profile with a newer model Honda CRV), I got this black on black loaded baby for a tiny percentage of its original price. In this country, both manuals and, especially, older cars are looked down upon by the local monied populace. Additionally, with one week to go before leaving this country, he was happy to negotiate about 30% off his asking price which was already fair in my estimation. My first test drive in this asian metropolis was protected from speed cameras by the owner's diplomatic immunity...the dpl plates were still on the car. I never got out of second gear, but that was enough to prove its low end capabilities...i had read that the coupe had greater torque than Ferrari. A few lane changes some passing through midday midtown traffic, and hitting over 100 kph in a spurt or two sold me. Now I can leave my naked CB400 Honda motorcycle at home and still enjoy the full throttle power of light weight plus speed. My new M3 is a sleeper because the insignias on the side door panels are tiny...and I guess the original owner (i am the third) wanted low profile so the rear has the regular 328is marking only. The cockpit is like a jet takeoff when I slap the tight stick into high rev first/second/third gears. My first ride since owning the car a few days ago saw me pacing in front of my friend on his 2006 naked Honda CB900 at maybe 150kph over a rise and bend on this city road. I backed off quickly atop the rise due to the unknown awaiting me ahead, but I don't know if the radar police car parked across the next major intersection caught me or not. I If so, I don't know what speed I was at in its radar's range. However, the car was unmanned so I hope they were not recording remotely. If they did record, I've learned my lesson...I hope. Anyway, I'm looking froward to my ticket in the mail. I used to sell Porsches and Audis in Chicago a while back, yet this carrivals the 911 or most any other car. I f you can get your hands on a used M3 form the 1995-1999 (my car is the last of the US E36 style bodies), I agree with everything I've read about the car from owners across many sites. This car is a top 50 must have.

this is how it is

by bobenus from portsmout, va on Mon Jul 24 2006

it drives like a dream and you feel good riding in it. it shifts smooth... has a strong pick up in every gear... has option to turn on anad off traction control... has brand new high performance perellis on it... real sharp car...good deal

1 2 3