2014 X1

2014 BMW X1

2014 BMW X1

Have You Driven the 2014 BMW X1?

Love it!

by Oklahoman from Madill, OK on Mon Feb 03 2014

I recently traded my 2012 Honda CR-V EX-L for a new 2014 BMW X1 sdrive28i Xline with premium package. Before making the decision for the X1 I also test-drove a Mazda CX-5 and a Hyundai Santa Fe as comparisons. Both very nice vehicles as well, but when it comes to handling and choice of engine-transmission, there was just one possible candidate, the X1. The smoothness of this 8 speed transmission is amazing. It keeps the 240hp engine at its sweet spot, resulting in an awesome responsiveness and acceleration (when needed). The interior of the X-line X1 is very nice. I have oyster leather and the so-called Fineline Bay matte wood. It looks awesome. Neither Mazda nor Hyundai offer a similarly impressive interior style. I decided not to spend serious money for BMWs navigation/infotainment system, but rather use a Garmin GPS. My X1 still offers Bluetooth and USB so Pandora streaming, hands-free calling and facetime are on board with the iphone. And actually I don't need more while driving (I consider the big navigation/infotainment system in my other BMW a mis-investment). One possible disadvantage some might point out on my X1 is the lack of a rear-view monitor or parking sensors which are standard with the navigation/infotainment package. But, heck, how did we back out of a parking spot or the garage just a couple years ago? The X1 has quite good visibility in the back and comes with a self-lowering parking mirror that makes parallel parking without curb rashes easy. Finally a word on fuel efficiency and the efficient dynamics package: using the eco-pro mode my X1 easily surpasses the official 34mpg highway; it is more like 38-40 mpg, and that value is AWESOME. Furthermore I have no problems with the auto start-stop system that helps on saving fuel in town. It is so smooth on the 2014 model that I hardly notice when the engine shuts off or restarts. In conclusion, I'm a very happy BMW X1 owner and would buy this vehicle again and again and again.

Perfect for my needs

by MikeInNC from Charlotte, NC on Thu Jun 13 2013

This car replaced two cars, a sedan and a wagon. I'm a cyclist and needed a vehicle that had hauling capacity for at least two bikes (inside), got good mpg, solid power, ride comfort and was a step up from run-of-the-mill transportation. The X1 fits that need perfectly. My particular car has the M Sport package which I believe it a nice addition to the styling of the car. It has plenty of power (240 hp in S28i model) and is returning decent average mpg at around 27. I can put my road bike in the back w/o having to remove the front wheel which is a bonus. I do wish BMW had made the rear head rests collapse (like a CRV) when folding the rear seats forward. I'm a tad above 6 feet tall so when I lower the rear seats the headrests hit the back of the front seats, making the process to configure the back to haul my bike a bit busier than I'd prefer. As far as comfort, I can config the manual seat (my choice) to 'almost' perfect. However, if I'm sufficiently far back for my leg length, the adjustable steering wheel is not quite extended far enough for me to be perfectly comfortable. Something I've not had in BMW's in the past. Still, it's quite close and certainly very comfortable enough for 1-2 hour drives but I can tell it would not be ideal on really long trips for me. For others, it may be just fine. It's just the way I like to be seated. The sport seats are very adjustable otherwise and quite comfortable. The styling is great and the overall package is excellent. Highly recommended if you're looking for a car that sits comfortably between a sedan and a wagon/small suv. Handles like a car, hauls like a wagon. Exactly what I needed.

Excellent car for the most part

by kbass from New York on Thu May 30 2013

It's been about 1 month since I had bought my 2014 BMW X1 xdrive 2.8i and I love driving it! 1st the pluses - lots of torque similar to driving a diesel, very good gas mileage, warms up quickly (has a flap in the muffler to create back pressure which warms up the engine very quickly as well as a coolant/oil heat exchanger), valvetronic = no throttle!!!!! very safe car that hugs the road, fantastic hydraulic steering, lots of room in the front seating area, fantastic side mirrors, auto wipers and push button start, run flat tires, idrive is much better than before! There is much more that I could write about the pluses, but I'm getting tired. Minuses - visibility is not great out the back (some blind spots that they could have avoided) , not enough back seat space, premium gas, auto start/stop is annoying, expensive options, 3% financing/lease I test drove many cars before deciding on this one. Top 3 were Mazda 3, Subaru outback, Honda CRV. BMW was like driving a sports car compared. Doesn't feel like I'm driving a crossover.

Best of both worlds - Sports car & SUV

by AikmanFan45 from Minneapolis, MN on Fri May 02 2014

I drove a BMW 325 for 12 years and LOVED it. I'm a sports car girl but I needed more cargo space for my drumset and kid sports equipment. Also I live in Minnesota so my rear wheel drive and low-suspension was problematic. I drove other SUVs like the Acura RDX, the Hyundai Santa Fe, Lexus, Mercedes etc. and the BMW X1 was the only one that truly fit the bill. It has power like a rocket ship, hugs the road and is pure fun to drive, while giving me more ground clearance, AWD and cargo capacity for "practical" life. The technology is great with the rear camera for backing up, navigation, and blue-tooth. The X1 truly "hits on all cylinders"!!

Great value... Tremendous MPG!

by Empty nest BMW enthusiast from Tampa, Fl on Thu Sep 04 2014

The perfect car for us. Plenty of room, for our two large dogs... and grandchildren. MPG is just wonderful. I love that "sweet spot"... Regularly get 50mpg, @ 60 miles per hour, and the roads I travel are for the most part marked at 55-60. Interior feels very roomy. Lots of shoulder space. Front view is expansive. Can't say enough good things about this car... love it! Years ago, as newlyweds, we had a 318i, and gave it up for the larger cars we needed for kids. Seems we've come full circle. I think it's the perfect car for empty nesters. You owe it to yourself to check it out.

Drives like a Car

by BMW convert from Houston, TX on Sat Jul 05 2014

I have never owned a BMW. My last Mercedes was such a nightmare thus I went looking to another brand. Did my research and came upon the X1. It is just like a car in handling, comfort and styling. but you have the cargo area that you can get a lot of stuff in. The three way split back seat allowed us to purchase an arbor and fit it in with no problem. Nice finishes on inside and the outside is all decked out too. I do have to keep in mind that it has a 4 cylinder engine and it sounds like one. Acceleration is good and it has a lower gear box and turbo for quicker acceleration. Good mileage. I really am happy with this vehicle.

Excellent

by Ruhul from on Tue Oct 15 2013

Excellent car, great performance. I am very happy so far. I would definitely recommend this to my friends and family.

Excellent drive

by Lalo from Brownsville Tx on Sun Jul 08 2018

Strong performance from its turbocharged engine One of the best-handling compact luxury crossovers you're going to find More rear passenger and cargo room than most other competitors High-level interior fit, finish and materials

Fun car

by First time beamer from Green Bay, WI on Wed Jul 23 2014

Very happy with the car overall. A few interior design things could be improved like radio control location. But a great car for an entry level BMW.

I owner

by Joe from Lehigh Acres, Fl 33974 on Sat Jun 03 2017

I buy for my wife, and she love it. Is comfortable, full package, leather, moon sun roof, the best SUV. Interior very good.

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2014 BMW X1

Editor's note: This review was written in August 2013 about the 2013 BMW X1. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2014, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

Though pint-sized, the 2013 BMW X1 delivers huge value in gas mileage and affordability while keeping BMW's signature driving enjoyment and luxury.

Since 2004, the X3 has been BMW's smallest SUV. Now the company has added the all-new 2013 X1, which becomes both the smallest and most affordable BMW SUV. The automaker could have easily muddied the distinction between these two models — a mistake we've seen from other automakers — but BMW properly distinguishes the... Read More