2016 X1

4.8 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.8 out of 5 starsReliability

New X1

by b787 from scottsdale AZ on May 1, 2016

Okay, this is no X5. However this little SAV is a blast! Last week I had to avoid a crash at 40mph......It handled great, the pick-up was great! I avoided an accident. Did not expect to have that happen. It handles very well. Can you imagine this baby SAV if it was a 335 engine? I need this vehicle round town that is all. The pick-up is much fun. I have to watch myself as it will get to 45-50 mph in no-time flat. My only gripe is that BMW should have put in more sound proofing..........That is the only item that could use improving........And no it is not that loud just wish for better sound proofing for the cabin..

Finally a fun car!

by Beach Walker from San Clemente, CA on May 16, 2016

I have been dreaming about owning a BMW for a few years. While raising 3 very active kids that played sports, we've had many full sized SUV trucks in our family to haul kids and gear. With the last one off to college and with our move close to the beach, it was finally time to get a fun car. The X1 clearly fulfills that dream. It is great looking and is sturdy, has lots of options, plenty of cargo space, is quick, is easy to maneuver, gets great gas mileage (especially in eco pro). I went with M sport and got the tech package. Both are worth the upgrade. I drive quite a distance back and forth to work everyday and I actually look forward to the drive. I am so happy with my choice!

PERFECT

by MALOU from Berea, Ohio on March 10, 2016

Great interior room and easy parking. If you need a little power through traffic, its got plenty. The park itself feature is a great item to have fun with your passengers expressions on their face. Great value for anyone.

BMW's have Design Issues

by ChiTownDude from Chicago, IL on May 30, 2018

You'd think a company like BMW would have a handle on what works for their customers. I owned a 2015 BMW X1, and then purchased this new (redesigned) version. This new one has lots of issues that make the car very uncomfortable to drive. The standard seats are not long enough and don't support your thighs very well. I'm 6'0 but not particularly big. This has been an issue on longer trips. The cupholders are unusable buried in the front console. The 2015 model had easy to use cupholders. BMW STILL doesn't support Apple CarPlay. I will not buy another car without it. The GPS system is several generations behind the good ones like Garmin or even my iPhone. Directions are often wrong, traffic updates are slow to provide any alternatives, and the arrival time estimate is often wrong by a great deal. My iPhone gets it right all the time. Finally, the tires provided are "run-flats". They are very hard riding tires, and they wear out very quickly (my current front tires were shot after 12,000 miles!). Replacements are expensive, and you can't get "regular" tires because there is no place to put the spare!

Does not recommend this car!!

Love the styling but hate the standard seats

by Al pa ci no from on September 4, 2016

When I saw new X1 the first time I fell in love with how it looks and wanted one so badly. So for the exterior I give 5+. But everything changed when I took it for a test drive. In 30 minutes my back was hurting not because the ride was bad, no, it is actually very comfortable and smooth even on bumpy roads. The reason was absolutely poorly designed front seats. The cushion is so short and has no side support. I could feel the plastic on the sides. It felt like i am in a child's seat. And let me tell you I am 5 11, 170 lb fit man. So my size isn't causing this. Then my wife who is 5 6, 120 lbs drove it and complained about the seat being very short as well. I don't care how good this car looks and drives if seats are that bad. I heard sport seats are way better, but didn't get to try them. If you do research online you find a lot of owners complaining about the same problem. So instead of buying it we went and bought MB GLA250 which is very similar maybe a little smaller and not as smooth as BMW but it isn't bad as some say. It actually feels sportier with very comfortable seats. So I would definitely give it a try if you consider BMW. I am a BMW lover, but they lost me on this one.

1 year in and no major complaints

by SR from Wilkes Barre on August 16, 2017

I've owned this car for a year now and have had no issues or major complaints. Only minor issue is I've since had a baby and with a carseat in the back it has highlighted the lack of leg room/space in the back seat. Few other minor interior design choices that I don't particularly like - like cup holder location and dash location. But overall good.

Great multipurpose vehicle

by jim_carguy from Snoqualmie, WA. on April 24, 2016

Great multipurpose vehicle. Plenty of room for people and your gear. 4cyl turbo provides ample power. Gas mileage is very good. A practical vehicle, with BMW handling and driving experience as a bonus. It's compact size makes it feel very car like to drive. Great forward visibility.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Best in the West, or anywhere!

by DanX 1 from Headingley, MB Canada on May 19, 2017

Great -performance, ride, looks, etc. Ever thought being told where to go is a good thing? It is now: I tell my car where to go once and then it continually keeps telling me where togo until I get there, in a very nice way, of course. And that's a great help - voice prompted navigation instructions, that is. What were you thinking?!

Very reliable car

by Meremi from Islandia NY on February 2, 2018

It’s a pleasure to drive this vehicle. Besides a very nice style and ride it is worth the money and more.

Favorite Compact SUV/SAV

by Benjamin M Sport from Seattle, WA on April 29, 2018

SAV that drives like a sports car. I needed to purchase an SUV/SAV, but didn’t want a mushy top-heavy vehicle that floated down the road. Test drove many, and the 2016 X1 M Sport was my favorite. It’s the quickest and roomiest in it’s class, and handles like a BMW coupe. I would highly recommend.

1 2