Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2011 X3

2011 BMW X3

Have You Driven the 2011 BMW X3?

FROM GOOD TO GREAT

by FARSIDEBMW from Charlotte, NC on Sun Feb 13 2011

I ordered my new BMW X3 in November and received one of the first X3s to roll off the Spartanburg factory line. I had not seen or ridden in the newly remodeled X3, but was confident that the new X3, with all its updated changes, would be exactly what I was hoping for from BMW. I was not disappointed. The new X3 can easily be mistaken for the X5, except for the fact that it is smaller then, but no less powerful and roomy. I got exactly what I hoped for--a crossover that feels like a sedan, but can act like an SUV. The 2011 X3 has new beautiful lines and an interior that seems as big as an X5. It drives like a sedan with it's available 300 hp and it's new 8 speed automatic transmission. I got mine with the technology package and the "idrive" package. Idrive seemed as if it would be a real problem, but to my surprise it was relativly easy to use when you get used to having it. I was happy to see that the idrive could let you know everything about my X3 and the idrive controled everything. I found myself going out to drive my new X3 in the middle of the night. I was and am excited everytime I need to use my X3. This is an excellent new X3. well worth the wait--the best BMW I have ever had and this is number 6.

Surprisingly engaging driving experience

by Reluctant SUV Buyer from Klamath Falls, Oregon on Mon Jul 25 2016

Took me a decade to return to the SUV market after my last experience. The poor gas mileage, terrible driving dynamics and lack of refinement had kept me away for quite some time. Having bought a home and growing tired of borrowing trucks from friends to haul things from Home Depot finally pushed me back into the fold. The X3 is surprisingly nimble with gas mileage similar to what I had grown accustomed to with an AWD 3 series. NVH is also excellent with plenty of technology and refinement. The cargo space has been excellent as well. I looked at X5s, Mercedes, Volvo xc60 and while nice the X3 offered the best overall package for the money. I especially like the rear cargo rails, 40/20/40 folding rear seats, auto tailgate, panoramic roof and if you can find one with it the HUD is terrific. Knowing about BMWs and having owned several in the past I specifically looked for a 2011 in order to get the non turbo inline 6 engine. While less powerful that the X3 35ix and having less torque than the 4 cylinder turbo in the newer X3 28ix I personally find it to be more than capable and after reading dozens of reviews on both of the other engines (they're also in the 3series) the non turbo inline 6 should prove to be more reliable with considerably less maintenance. Only complaint are the seats. I wish I'd found a 2011 with the sport seats in order to get the thigh support extensions. I encourage those shopping to drive an X3 or any BMW really with both seats for an extended period of time to see which seats are better for you.

2011 X3 is total overhall from 2010 and earlier

by Satisfied Buyer from Norther Virginia on Sun Feb 06 2011

Drives smooth, good handling and stops on a dime. Interior is as roomy as a 5 series beamer. Technology package is very interactive and easy to use. Super product we love it!

by fin from Los Gatos, CA on Tue May 24 2011

Great styling and performance. Very nice ride and reasonable MPG. Overly complicated controls. Complexity of iDrive and too many features requires a tech savvy driver.Very poorly written owner manual makes things worse. Dealer had to reboot entire car software. Pricey. But...great fun and looks good.

Great car

by New Beemer guy from Colorado Springs, CO on Fri Oct 07 2011

I ordered my X3 28 to get it the way I wanted it for the price I wanted. I am getting over 23mpg in the city (lots of hills). On a recent 2,500 mile road trip with 5 people and lots of bags I averaged better than 27mpg driving 80 mph. Not happy with the slight hesitation you sometimes get on accelerating from a stoplight but it's not a big annoyance. Once you get used to the ConnectedDrive it's a good system. I like the USB interface, I keep all of my music on a flash drive now and no longer have to drag CD's along. I can't wait for snow to fall to see how it handles on our mountain roads.

Excellent comfort and performance

by German Car Fan from Denver, CO on Sat Nov 09 2013

I owned a 2007 BMW X3 and really enjoyed driving it till I drove the new body style 2011 and was blown way with handing and performance. BMW really improved the ride and handling of the new body style. I also picked up 5 mpg on fuel eco. 2007 was 23 mpg and 2011 is getting 28. i would recommend this SAV to anyone who asked.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Spectacular

by The Broker from Stamfrod, CT on Wed Apr 27 2011

Traded in 2006 X-5. New X-5 too large. 2011 X-3 perfect size and great in every way. All New suspension and steering, along with X-drive add to the excellent handling characteristics.

The best part of my day is driving this car

by Jean from Texas on Sat Aug 06 2011

A total joy to own. I will be keeping this car for many years. It's a perfect size and so comfortable. So far, I can't find anything to change except the size of the gas tank.

Great SUV! Luxury, Functionality & Performance

by Tpzgrl from San Diego, CA on Wed Oct 17 2012

I purchased this car at the end of 2011 and so far this has been a wonderful cross-over SUV. It's exciting to drive, functional to fit the kid, dog, stroller, etc., and it looks good on me! I've been a BMW fan ever since I got my first 3 series several years ago, I traded the 3series in for the X3 after realizing how difficult it was to fit my family. Only complaint I have is the transmission lag when accelerating from a stop. Oh, and I had to have faulty break pads changed out right after I bought the car but that was covered under the 4 yr. maintenance plan. I drove this car for the first year, but now it's my husbands turn, and he bought me a new Camry. The BMW handling is the best of any auto I've owned, but I'm getting used to the Camry.

everything its cracked up to be

by vetnat from Canada on Mon Apr 02 2012

So far, this car is living up to my expectations. My last vehicle was a Jeep Liberty, and there is no comparison with ride comfort and gas mileage. Only problem so far was vehicle was transported from California to North Dakota, and arrived on the transport truck with a dead and defunct battery. When they recommend a battery maintainer for colder climates, they mean it! My only other quibble is the "special cable" required to hook up and operate your iPod through the stereo. Come on BMW, get over yourself, and don't require every last little detail to require a BMW-only part!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Our Take on the 2011 BMW X3

The BMW X3 may have been a pioneer among compact luxury crossovers, but a number of competitors — including the Audi Q5, Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class and Volvo XC60 — have entered the fray since its debut as a 2004 model. Now, with the second-generation X3, BMW has new metal to take them on.

The 2011 BMW X3 is still the small luxury crossover of choice for driving enthusiasts, but its substantially more forgiving suspension tuning should make the new version far more appealing.

I tested the base xDrive28i, which starts at $36,750; with options, our test car's sticker price was $43,875. For a side-by-side comparison with the competitors mentioned above, click here.

Ride... Read More