2011 Bmw X 3

Perfect car for Wyoming

by from Cheyenne, WY on March 2, 2011

I have been driving my new X3 for about a month now. It replaces my 2007 X3. I went with these cars after doing a great deal of research for the perfect Wyoming car- it needs great handling on snow and ice, aerodynamic to minimize being blown by our winds, comfortable as 3 hours is an average trip. The new X3 is even better than the old one. I have been able to keep control of the car thanks to its dynamic steering and braking. I am confident it helped me avoid at least 2 accidents due to these features. The new model fixes the one minor problem I had with the previous model, in that it is very comfortable now, while remaining fun to drive. I put 100 K on my old car in 4 years, without any problems, and look forward to repeating this in my new X3. While most people think of an F150 as the Wyoming State vehicle, I would argue that the X3 is designed and built for the worst weather Wyoming can throw at it.

FROM GOOD TO GREAT

by from Charlotte, NC on February 13, 2011

I ordered my new BMW X3 in November and received one of the first X3s to roll off the Spartanburg factory line. I had not seen or ridden in the newly remodeled X3, but was confident that the new X3, with all its updated changes, would be exactly what I was hoping for from BMW. I was not disappointed. The new X3 can easily be mistaken for the X5, except for the fact that it is smaller then, but no less powerful and roomy. I got exactly what I hoped for--a crossover that feels like a sedan, but can act like an SUV. The 2011 X3 has new beautiful lines and an interior that seems as big as an X5. It drives like a sedan with it's available 300 hp and it's new 8 speed automatic transmission. I got mine with the technology package and the "idrive" package. Idrive seemed as if it would be a real problem, but to my surprise it was relativly easy to use when you get used to having it. I was happy to see that the idrive could let you know everything about my X3 and the idrive controled everything. I found myself going out to drive my new X3 in the middle of the night. I was and am excited everytime I need to use my X3. This is an excellent new X3. well worth the wait--the best BMW I have ever had and this is number 6.

2011 X3 is total overhall from 2010 and earlier

by from Norther Virginia on February 6, 2011

Drives smooth, good handling and stops on a dime. Interior is as roomy as a 5 series beamer. Technology package is very interactive and easy to use. Super product we love it!

2011 BMW X3

by from Los Gatos, CA on May 24, 2011

Great styling and performance. Very nice ride and reasonable MPG. Overly complicated controls. Complexity of iDrive and too many features requires a tech savvy driver.Very poorly written owner manual makes things worse. Dealer had to reboot entire car software. Pricey. But...great fun and looks good.

Surprisingly engaging driving experience

by from Klamath Falls, Oregon on July 25, 2016

Took me a decade to return to the SUV market after my last experience. The poor gas mileage, terrible driving dynamics and lack of refinement had kept me away for quite some time. Having bought a home and growing tired of borrowing trucks from friends to haul things from Home Depot finally pushed me back into the fold. The X3 is surprisingly nimble with gas mileage similar to what I had grown accustomed to with an AWD 3 series. NVH is also excellent with plenty of technology and refinement. The cargo space has been excellent as well. I looked at X5s, Mercedes, Volvo xc60 and while nice the X3 offered the best overall package for the money. I especially like the rear cargo rails, 40/20/40 folding rear seats, auto tailgate, panoramic roof and if you can find one with it the HUD is terrific. Knowing about BMWs and having owned several in the past I specifically looked for a 2011 in order to get the non turbo inline 6 engine. While less powerful that the X3 35ix and having less torque than the 4 cylinder turbo in the newer X3 28ix I personally find it to be more than capable and after reading dozens of reviews on both of the other engines (they're also in the 3series) the non turbo inline 6 should prove to be more reliable with considerably less maintenance. Only complaint are the seats. I wish I'd found a 2011 with the sport seats in order to get the thigh support extensions. I encourage those shopping to drive an X3 or any BMW really with both seats for an extended period of time to see which seats are better for you.

Great car

by from Colorado Springs, CO on October 7, 2011

I ordered my X3 28 to get it the way I wanted it for the price I wanted. I am getting over 23mpg in the city (lots of hills). On a recent 2,500 mile road trip with 5 people and lots of bags I averaged better than 27mpg driving 80 mph. Not happy with the slight hesitation you sometimes get on accelerating from a stoplight but it's not a big annoyance. Once you get used to the ConnectedDrive it's a good system. I like the USB interface, I keep all of my music on a flash drive now and no longer have to drag CD's along. I can't wait for snow to fall to see how it handles on our mountain roads.

Spectacular

by from Stamfrod, CT on April 27, 2011

Traded in 2006 X-5. New X-5 too large. 2011 X-3 perfect size and great in every way. All New suspension and steering, along with X-drive add to the excellent handling characteristics.

The best part of my day is driving this car

by from Texas on August 6, 2011

A total joy to own. I will be keeping this car for many years. It's a perfect size and so comfortable. So far, I can't find anything to change except the size of the gas tank.

Great SUV! Luxury, Functionality & Performance

by from San Diego, CA on October 17, 2012

I purchased this car at the end of 2011 and so far this has been a wonderful cross-over SUV. It's exciting to drive, functional to fit the kid, dog, stroller, etc., and it looks good on me! I've been a BMW fan ever since I got my first 3 series several years ago, I traded the 3series in for the X3 after realizing how difficult it was to fit my family. Only complaint I have is the transmission lag when accelerating from a stop. Oh, and I had to have faulty break pads changed out right after I bought the car but that was covered under the 4 yr. maintenance plan. I drove this car for the first year, but now it's my husbands turn, and he bought me a new Camry. The BMW handling is the best of any auto I've owned, but I'm getting used to the Camry.

Excellent comfort and performance

by from Denver, CO on November 9, 2013

I owned a 2007 BMW X3 and really enjoyed driving it till I drove the new body style 2011 and was blown way with handing and performance. BMW really improved the ride and handling of the new body style. I also picked up 5 mpg on fuel eco. 2007 was 23 mpg and 2011 is getting 28. i would recommend this SAV to anyone who asked.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Our Expert Review: 2011 Bmw X 3