2001 X5

4.6 out of 5 starsInterior Design
3.6 out of 5 starsReliability

Least reliable auto I've owned

by good bye to BMW from Owensboro Ky on March 11, 2008

Love the comfort and handling of my BMW but have spent thousands keeping it on the road and maintained. I enjoyed the first year of ownership and driving it but after that , it was at a dealer (50miles+ away from where I lived) and required that I have a back up car for transportation when the BMW was in the shop (MANY TIMES). I will be trying to sell it or give it away in the next month and will not plan to ever own another one, although when it would run, it was the best handling car and most comfortable one that I ever owned. It was however, the least dependable car that I ever owned and most inconvenient to get repaired (as only a dealer could make most repairs)

Power in every way!!!

by BMW Fan!!!! from Chicago on February 19, 2007

Love this car. Have owned it since 2003. I bought it off a lease. I haven't really had big problems with it, but thank God for the Ext. Warranty. I mean this Suv is well build and drives better then all Suv's out there ( I've tested all) But I just don't get it, these cars suffer from minor problems. For example, hoses and belts, and gaskets. I know this sounds very normal but it stinks when you are in below zero temps. and your car breaks down because of a minor hose that cracked open. Other then that, this SUV is nothing but power and style. I love it, and if someone were to buy it, do the right thing and purchase an Ext. Warranty. Do it and it will pay off right away. I promise...

Great SAV To Own

by Bird from LA on February 14, 2007

I've had this X5 3.0 with sport/premium pkg for 6 years and it's still driving like new car. No problem was found. This car drive like sport car like other BMW so it may make the rear passenger not as comfortable. But great for the driver.

Love It & Will Buy BMW SUV Again

by BMW4LIFE from Wilmington, NC on November 2, 2011

I bought my X5 new in 2001 and at 140k miles it is still taking care of me. After the warranty expired, I found a local shop that specializes in BMW's and have been very pleased with the cost of maintenance, as others have vocalized, can get expensive. For an SUV, the comfort of the X5 is excellent. For performance, I have enjoyed the vehicle in the mountains and on the beach sand. Best vehicle buying decision I ever made.

A Great Buy Used

by Lance from North Myrtle Beach on March 31, 2017

The BMW E53 while older now, still looks fresh. Unlike most BMWs the E53 looks better with age. The very distinctive body says BMW from every angle. You can pick these up in great shape for under $7,000, My 2001 X5 was bought 3 years ago for $3900. It had 200K miles, BUT it was a 1 owner car and it was serviced as instructed by the dealer for all of it's life. The folks who owned it traded it in for another X5. That told me this was a great car. We have driven 40K miles in 3 years and have had 4 repairs. Belt tensioner $280, Door handle,$150, wheel bearing (rear) $400, and a fuel pump $500. $500 bucks once in a while beats $700 every month. I get compliments on it all the time. It is white and was garage kept. The interior and paint are very fresh looking for being over 15 years old. (The sun is your cars biggest enemy, keep it in the shade or buy a cover)

Unreliable Elec, Expensive Repairs, Bad Tires Etc

by McBee from Wash. DC Metro on January 10, 2010

I bought the X5 4.4i Sport at 20k miles and 1 year old. I owned 3 BMW's before (3 and 5 Series). The 3's and 5's were great and reliable, the X5 proved a nightmare. At end of warranty, all power windows and other electricals went bad, needed expensive repairs. Needs new tires every 6 months, also needed brakes every 4 months. The ride is firm and harsh. At one time it needed $7k in repairs, another time it needed $11k in repairs. It's sitting in my garage now, and get's out only if there's a snow storm. The engine is great, it's great in the snow, however this SUV has ended my love affair with any SUV made by BMW (maybe it's Spartanburg?). Buy this vehicle "only" if you can get an extended warranty to cover everything. I'll trade the X5 or sell it off as soon as I get a decent offer. It still looks good but it'll be good riddance for me.

Great Car During Warranty Period

by Willie T Ribbs from Dallas TX on November 9, 2006

Great car when you still have a warranty. My suggestion woul dbe to not own one unless it is still under warranty. Once it runs out of warranty LOOK OUT! My 2001 X-5 4.4 ran out of warranty in July and have had it in the shop twice in the past two weeks for miscellaneous electronic crud costing me over $3200. BMW will not fix most item,so if you take it to the dealer you will incur extra charges. But like i said great car when its running and everything is fine. Very sensitive on the electrical system. If soemthing does go its gonna cost ya!

Fun to Drive, But Repairs Add Up

by GL1409 from Redmond on January 12, 2009

Agree with the other reviews. This SUV is fun to drive, very sure footed and handles like a sports car. However, watch out for the electrical problems! Had to replace the thottle moter, engine wiring harness, and the fan assembly, which had a draw that kept draining my battery.

Bargin but beware

by BMWX5 from Chicago on February 1, 2012

Purchased used, very clean, one owner car, with 79K. The X5 is my third vehicle and used primarily as a winter driver, driving less than 10K annually. Overall very pleased with my purchase and it was a deal for less than $13,000. However there have been some minor issues that are inherent to BMWs and in particular X5s. Taillights bulbs burning out, cooling system (4.4 engine), and hood release, all repaired or replaced within the first 30 days of ownership. Buying a used BMW can be a bargain, however repairs can be costly. Prior to buying any used BMW, get it inspected and find an honest independent mechanic.

The best car I've ever had

by Love myx5 from Lexington, KY on June 1, 2009

Hands down the best and most fun car I've ever owned, and I've had plenty of luxury cars before. Great handling, very safe, I cannot stress the safety factor enough. My next car will probably be an x5 as well, only the new version. Some people have complained of the repairs, personally, I have a great shop that my entire family uses for their BMWs (a family car :)) and as long as I catch any potential problems early, the car runs great and is very dependable. I even cancelled my AAA roadside service because I never had any problems on the road and I've driven this thing for 40,000 miles now and thru at least 10 states.

1 2 3