Read or write a review.

4.3
Average based on 14 reviews

Tough luxury

by from Gig Harbor, WA on July 21, 2011

The BMW X5 sets itself apart from truck-like SUVs with the smoothly luxurious interiors, ultra comfy seats and quiet but sesponsive ride the 5 series is known for. Yes, it is for activity; four guys and golf clubs - yep, theres room; a buddy and skiis up for the first tracks at the ski hill - yep, done that; two couples going shopping in the city for the day - yes, there's room for all we bought. Throw the kayak on top and it will get you to the harbor or up the river on any kind of road. As a commuter car its not great on gas - barely 20 mph for usual use, up to 22 on hiway, but if you're that worried about gas prices, you should not drive a BMW. The X5 is the total package of space, comfort, safety, performance and looks. Oh yes, in Imola Red it is an irresistable eye turner anywhere. For true sports car nuts get the 8 cylinder, but the 6 is reasonably fast. You will not be embarrassed if you put the pedal to metal while merging on any freeway. You will quickly outrun everything else out there, except maybe a BMW M series.

Most realiable car!!!

by from Sacramento CA on May 20, 2007

Great performance..Everyone should buy one!!! My wife and kids really love it. Is the best car I have ever own. I wouldn't trade this for Mercedes.

One of the smoothest riding cars I've owned.

by from Indianapolis, Indiana on October 20, 2011

Was looking for a nice utility vehicle to drive for the winter since sport car is not practical in the snow. The BMW X5 has surprised me & met all my expectations. Very smooth riding vehicle with excellent handling & performance. Very impressed & an excellent experience in finding it on Cars.com.

Number 1 In My Book

by from Portland, OR on October 22, 2009

Excellent styling, performance, handling, and reliability. What more could you ask for in an automobile? This is my second X5 and they are a fabulously engineered vehicle.

Sunroof Problem

by from Hammond, Indiana on July 1, 2013

This Vehicle was in the Shop every 4 mnths. I loved the way it drove and handled but way too many problems with front light assembly, I had to replace the whole assembly becouse the front light bulb kept on giving out. Bmw warrantied this problem when it was still under warranty. Then when my Panoramic sunroof malfunctioned , I was told I had to replace the whole assembly plus the glass also. This, I was told was going to be about $4500 plus and now Bmw wouldnt cover it becouse they had already covered the front light assembly of course this happened when the warranty had just expired.

Very Sporty Car

by from Ridgeland, MS on April 8, 2008

I love this SAV! It is my first BMW, but it will not be my last. It is just right for me and it rides very smooth. I have great gas mileage, which is not what I expected. There is a slight blind-side on the passenger side rear when driving, but it is not that bad... Did I tell you that I love my X5?

Awesome few little issues but that was to be expec

by from New Lenox, IL on August 18, 2014

I bought this vehicle used, ended up having to replace the DISA valve, Crankshaft Vent Valve, and all manifold intake hoses and gaskets, but it was to be expected for a vehicle 9 years old. I'm having a small issue with the sunroof but I LOVE MY TRUCK!!! best investment ever!

excelllent buy on the used market

by from ny on January 16, 2012

Even with the mileage on these cars, they are still awesome. Fast, reliable and better on gas then jeep. Comfortable too!

Too Many Issue With This One

by from Houston, TX on September 28, 2010

A comfortable ride, especially on the highway. Classic BMW styling on the interior. Also classic BMW problems... Since purchasing as a CPO with 29000 miles, I've been to BMW service a minimum of 7 times. Items replaced include: Transmission Alternator Xenon Headlamp Panorama Sunroof (motor died) Control Arm Bushings (Blown out) Short in the brake lights Windshield wipers (stopped ejecting fluid) Interior Information Display LEDs (dimmed out) Yeah sure most of it was covered by the CPO warranty (except for the bushings), but what a pain. Multiple trips to the dealership along with the $50 co-pay for each visit (something you never hear about when you sign up for a CPO vehicle...buyer beware). My last 4 vehicles have been BMWs, but this is the one that's about to send me to the nearest Acura dealership and bid a fond farewell to BMW forever.

Most organized car.

by from Chicago, Illinois on June 4, 2009

Just got this car about 2 months ago. Can't ask for a better deal. When you look at the price tag on a used BMW, you think in your head... are they crazy? Yea.. thats what I thought when I saw it in the magazine. I test drove it.. was very quick and you can feel the safety of the car. The only thing I wish they changed is the door wieght, I feel like it takes me ten hours to get into the car. The doors are overly heavy for a BMW. Overall this car is very loaded with options, features and reliability is outstanding. The sunroof is amazing! Its like HUGE!

Our Expert Review: 2005 Bmw X 5