2005 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews

4.3
Average based on 14 reviews

Tough luxury

by from Gig Harbor, WA on July 21, 2011

The BMW X5 sets itself apart from truck-like SUVs with the smoothly luxurious interiors, ultra comfy seats and quiet but sesponsive ride the 5 series is known for. Yes, it is for activity; four guys and golf clubs - yep, theres room; a buddy and skiis up for the first tracks at the ski hill - yep, done that; two couples going shopping in the city for the day - yes, there's room for all we bought. Throw the kayak on top and it will get you to the harbor or up the river on any kind of road. As a commuter car its not great on gas - barely 20 mph for usual use, up to 22 on hiway, but if you're that worried about gas prices, you should not drive a BMW. The X5 is the total package of space, comfort, safety, performance and looks. Oh yes, in Imola Red it is an irresistable eye turner anywhere. For true sports car nuts get the 8 cylinder, but the 6 is reasonably fast. You will not be embarrassed if you put the pedal to metal while merging on any freeway. You will quickly outrun everything else out there, except maybe a BMW M series.

Most realiable car!!!

by from Sacramento CA on May 20, 2007

Great performance..Everyone should buy one!!! My wife and kids really love it. Is the best car I have ever own. I wouldn't trade this for Mercedes.

One of the smoothest riding cars I've owned.

by from Indianapolis, Indiana on October 20, 2011

Was looking for a nice utility vehicle to drive for the winter since sport car is not practical in the snow. The BMW X5 has surprised me & met all my expectations. Very smooth riding vehicle with excellent handling & performance. Very impressed & an excellent experience in finding it on Cars.com.

Number 1 In My Book

by from Portland, OR on October 22, 2009

Excellent styling, performance, handling, and reliability. What more could you ask for in an automobile? This is my second X5 and they are a fabulously engineered vehicle.

Sunroof Problem

by from Hammond, Indiana on July 1, 2013

This Vehicle was in the Shop every 4 mnths. I loved the way it drove and handled but way too many problems with front light assembly, I had to replace the whole assembly becouse the front light bulb kept on giving out. Bmw warrantied this problem when it was still under warranty. Then when my Panoramic sunroof malfunctioned , I was told I had to replace the whole assembly plus the glass also. This, I was told was going to be about $4500 plus and now Bmw wouldnt cover it becouse they had already covered the front light assembly of course this happened when the warranty had just expired.

Very Sporty Car

by from Ridgeland, MS on April 8, 2008

I love this SAV! It is my first BMW, but it will not be my last. It is just right for me and it rides very smooth. I have great gas mileage, which is not what I expected. There is a slight blind-side on the passenger side rear when driving, but it is not that bad... Did I tell you that I love my X5?

Awesome few little issues but that was to be expec

by from New Lenox, IL on August 18, 2014

I bought this vehicle used, ended up having to replace the DISA valve, Crankshaft Vent Valve, and all manifold intake hoses and gaskets, but it was to be expected for a vehicle 9 years old. I'm having a small issue with the sunroof but I LOVE MY TRUCK!!! best investment ever!

excelllent buy on the used market

by from ny on January 16, 2012

Even with the mileage on these cars, they are still awesome. Fast, reliable and better on gas then jeep. Comfortable too!

Too Many Issue With This One

by from Houston, TX on September 28, 2010

A comfortable ride, especially on the highway. Classic BMW styling on the interior. Also classic BMW problems... Since purchasing as a CPO with 29000 miles, I've been to BMW service a minimum of 7 times. Items replaced include: Transmission Alternator Xenon Headlamp Panorama Sunroof (motor died) Control Arm Bushings (Blown out) Short in the brake lights Windshield wipers (stopped ejecting fluid) Interior Information Display LEDs (dimmed out) Yeah sure most of it was covered by the CPO warranty (except for the bushings), but what a pain. Multiple trips to the dealership along with the $50 co-pay for each visit (something you never hear about when you sign up for a CPO vehicle...buyer beware). My last 4 vehicles have been BMWs, but this is the one that's about to send me to the nearest Acura dealership and bid a fond farewell to BMW forever.

Fun - but not worth the hassle

by from Chicago, IL on January 20, 2011

This was my first BMW. I was excited when I got it. I have had a Lexus for 10 years. I wanted a car that was more fun to drive. BMW is definitely that. Handles great. But in 2 years, I have been to the dealership about dozen times. Lot of little stuff - nothing major. But I am out at least $200 every time I go. I feel that I have never driven the car for more than 500 miles without some warning light being on. park assist does not work, tail light out, check engine light came on twice ($135 per visit to learn that nothing is wrong), car lock does not work, alarm goes off without a reason, and other things that I cannot remember. I am 32 and self-employed. I don't mind sitting in the dealership lobby and working on my lap top. But I plan on having kids soon. And I will not have time to visit my new friends at the dealership as much. So I am trading this unreliable "ultimate malfunctioning machine" and buying myself another Lexus. In 10 years, I have been to the Lexus dealership about 8 times in 10 years. That is a more acceptable frequency for me. Sorry BMW - never again.