2009 X5

4.1 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.2 out of 5 starsReliability

The big bad Bavarian

by haitwun from Los Angeles, CA on February 8, 2011

My X5 has some annoying quirks about it. The iDrive takes a long time to power up, which means you cannot use the back up camera when you need it. Not that BMW?s back up camera is that great. The image is blurry in the daytime and completely useless at night. iDrive also has makes simple things like tuning the radio incredibly difficult. The air conditioning on the X5 pretty weak, which is disappointing because this is supposed to be a luxury car. Now that the negatives are out of the way, step on the accelerator and try overtaking on the freeway. As soon as you drive it at high speeds, you will know why this car is worth it?s exorbitant price. It also helps that the car has a beautiful exterior and a sumptuous interior wrapped inch by inch in leather. If you are going to buy an X5, get the inline 6. That is the engine BMW is famous for. I have had the car for 2 years now. No reliability issues thus far.

All of the above

by A&WBMW from Ithaca, NY on May 23, 2010

I've read all the reviews and after owning my 2009 X-5 for 14 months and 35,000 miles I can appreciate all of the reviews (the good and the bad). It is a terrific car and is full of great technology. The diesel is quiet, clean and powerful. Some of the materials used in the interior is of inferior quality. The running boards should NOT be purchased. The reliability is acceptable but not what you would expect from BMW. Compared to the competition, the BMW is still the one!!!!

Great Example of German Engineering

by Bimmer-Guy from Huntsville, AL on November 22, 2016

I have owned 10 or 12 BMW's through the years, and the X5 meets all my expectations. As with every one i have ever had, it leaks oil. If that is a problem for you, stay away from this BMW's all together. They either do or will at some point leak. I bought the 4.8v8 version and it is a good strong engine but is known for leaky valve seals. That problem will cause it to smoke after idling for a long time but isn't hurting performance. Overall i love this car just like my others. WE needed a bigger family vehicle and this one fit the bill nicely. I would recommend it to anyone, but do your homework and make sure you understand what you're getting and the nuances that go along with each model.

Love it

by mikash from TN on August 5, 2009

I loved everything about the Diesel X5. I thought it handled beautifully. Good turning radius. No smell from the diesel. Unfortunately, an accident totaled my X5 six weeks after we bought it. We barely felt the impact, and my daughter didn't even hear much. We were not injured in the least. Great car to have a wreck in, but I have been depressed for weeks because I lost my car. Barely any depreciation, so we didn't lose too much money.

Love every second

by BmwFan from Oneonta, NY on July 5, 2018

I purchased this car used with about 50,000 Miles on it and have just taken this car everywhere. It currently has 106,659 Miles and I?ve loved ever single mile of them. To this day i haven?t had any major mechanical issues just a small issue with the A/C and normal preventive maintenance stuff which helps keep your car running like new for a lot longer.

Rewarding Myself

by Remedy Edge from Phoenix, AZ on December 4, 2011

I absolutely love my X5, I still smile when I walk up to it. But I knew going in that this was not the best "bang for my buck." Having test driven a number of other cars, I found nearly all the luxury items in the X5 in other cars at better prices. So, why did I buy the X5? Style, not value. I almost went with something else, but felt I was settling, just wasn't excited about it even though it had everything on my checklist. With the X5, I'm rewarding myself for a lifetime of hard work. Here are some things I found to be a problem: Transmission. When I'm stopped at a red light, and I take my foot off the break, the car jolts noticeably. The digital console is not intuitive. Simple repairs are costly. Things I like: I get better gas mileage than advertised...about 20.5 mpg. Panoramic sun roof. Auto-lift gate. Plenty of cargo room. Auto retracting side view mirrors, which I use everyday. There are so many luxury options. One thing BMW is known for is exceptional handling and the X5 is no exception. In short, if you buy the X5, you're buying style and if you're like me, it's worth it.

Great Vehicle

by Bearmeister from Alberta Canada on March 9, 2011

2009 X5 35D Very Comfortable and the diesel is fantastic. Our winter in Alberta has been brutal...this is probably the warmest vehicle I have ever owned. Even with the factory all-seasons, traction has been great and we have a lot of ice. Owned a few Bimmers and this one is the best so far...would not hesitate to purchase another one.

worst car I have ever owned.

by Hate my X5 from Phoenix, AZ on October 28, 2009

Do your research before you buy this. The are MANY faults with this vehicle that the dealer won't tell you about. If you get running boards you will never have clean pants again. The backup camera does not work when it should. If the "I-drive" is not fully booted up the backup camera will not come on. In my case it comes on after I'm out of reverse, and proceeding down the street. The dealership tells me to unlock the car as soon as I'm "within range" to give the "I-drive" a chance to boot up. The radio in "sat" mode does not tell you the "number" of the station you are on, nor does the radio tell you if the station you are listening to is a preset in the memory. The fan on my A/C is terrible. The most air comes through the 2 center vents, the outside vents get very little, if any at all. The only way to combat this, is to partially close the center vents. The climate control always comes on when you start the vehicle. If I shut it off, when I start the vehicle again it turns on by itself. I find the interior of the vehicle cheap and the seats are extremely uncomfortable. The computer screen has been set in the dashboard, tipped up toward the windshield and sunroof and when sunny there is glare on the screen and you can't see it. The "I-drive" system is very complicated, and not user friendly. The wind deflector on the sunroof is fabric, it catches bugs and is difficult to clean. I've owned my X5 for 4 months and it's been into service for peeling wood veneer, a glove box door that fell off, and body molding that's peeling off. The only thing I like about the vehicle is the diesel engine, it's a good performer and is very quick. I could not recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Do not buy

by Unhappy owner from Phoenix, az on August 10, 2012

Agree with previous reviews, Loved the car, but hated the unreliability. Had to ged rid of run flat tires, engine light always on, fuel gage stopped working, needed radiator, water pump, thermostat, poor air conditioner. Poor rear camera. Poor voice connectivity. Owned car for 3 years, would never buy BMW again. Do your research, make sure you can afford expensive repairs, all my repairs were after warranty expired. I was out of luck. Do not rely on carfax Reports.

X5 BMW

by Renene from Texas on January 17, 2011

We had a great experience with this purchase! Love the car and trusted the seller! It was in excellent condition!

1 2 3 4