Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2009 X5

2009 BMW X5

2009 BMW X5

4.4

Have You Driven the 2009 BMW X5?

Great Example of German Engineering

by Bimmer-Guy from Huntsville, AL on Tue Nov 22 2016

I have owned 10 or 12 BMW's through the years, and the X5 meets all my expectations. As with every one i have ever had, it leaks oil. If that is a problem for you, stay away from this BMW's all together. They either do or will at some point leak. I bought the 4.8v8 version and it is a good strong engine but is known for leaky valve seals. That problem will cause it to smoke after idling for a long time but isn't hurting performance. Overall i love this car just like my others. WE needed a bigger family vehicle and this one fit the bill nicely. I would recommend it to anyone, but do your homework and make sure you understand what you're getting and the nuances that go along with each model.

All of the above

by A&WBMW from Ithaca, NY on Sun May 23 2010

I've read all the reviews and after owning my 2009 X-5 for 14 months and 35,000 miles I can appreciate all of the reviews (the good and the bad). It is a terrific car and is full of great technology. The diesel is quiet, clean and powerful. Some of the materials used in the interior is of inferior quality. The running boards should NOT be purchased. The reliability is acceptable but not what you would expect from BMW. Compared to the competition, the BMW is still the one!!!!

Love it

by mikash from TN on Wed Aug 05 2009

I loved everything about the Diesel X5. I thought it handled beautifully. Good turning radius. No smell from the diesel. Unfortunately, an accident totaled my X5 six weeks after we bought it. We barely felt the impact, and my daughter didn't even hear much. We were not injured in the least. Great car to have a wreck in, but I have been depressed for weeks because I lost my car. Barely any depreciation, so we didn't lose too much money.

Werthebest

by Vxmml from Los angeles on Mon Sep 18 2017

Good car no problem with driving good price everything works good engine is just running smooth I like this car alot

out of 5 starsReliability

Love every second

by BmwFan from Oneonta, NY on Thu Jul 05 2018

I purchased this car used with about 50,000 Miles on it and have just taken this car everywhere. It currently has 106,659 Miles and I’ve loved ever single mile of them. To this day i haven’t had any major mechanical issues just a small issue with the A/C and normal preventive maintenance stuff which helps keep your car running like new for a lot longer.

Don't buy a used one for your own sake

by J rob from Stroudsburg PA on Fri Jan 12 2018

To many electronic problems everything is electronic and needs to be updated like a cell phone very frustrating

Does not recommend this car!!

Most reliable car I drove

by Guto from Flanders NJ on Tue May 15 2018

This car met all of my needs, comfortable, spacious, secure, good mileage, brand new tires, well maintained, only Plus or super gasoline , nothing to do, just stop at the gas station and drive.

Rewarding Myself

by Remedy Edge from Phoenix, AZ on Sun Dec 04 2011

I absolutely love my X5, I still smile when I walk up to it. But I knew going in that this was not the best "bang for my buck." Having test driven a number of other cars, I found nearly all the luxury items in the X5 in other cars at better prices. So, why did I buy the X5? Style, not value. I almost went with something else, but felt I was settling, just wasn't excited about it even though it had everything on my checklist. With the X5, I'm rewarding myself for a lifetime of hard work. Here are some things I found to be a problem: Transmission. When I'm stopped at a red light, and I take my foot off the break, the car jolts noticeably. The digital console is not intuitive. Simple repairs are costly. Things I like: I get better gas mileage than advertised...about 20.5 mpg. Panoramic sun roof. Auto-lift gate. Plenty of cargo room. Auto retracting side view mirrors, which I use everyday. There are so many luxury options. One thing BMW is known for is exceptional handling and the X5 is no exception. In short, if you buy the X5, you're buying style and if you're like me, it's worth it.

Does not recommend this car!!

The big bad Bavarian

by haitwun from Los Angeles, CA on Tue Feb 08 2011

My X5 has some annoying quirks about it. The iDrive takes a long time to power up, which means you cannot use the back up camera when you need it. Not that BMW’s back up camera is that great. The image is blurry in the daytime and completely useless at night. iDrive also has makes simple things like tuning the radio incredibly difficult. The air conditioning on the X5 pretty weak, which is disappointing because this is supposed to be a luxury car. Now that the negatives are out of the way, step on the accelerator and try overtaking on the freeway. As soon as you drive it at high speeds, you will know why this car is worth it’s exorbitant price. It also helps that the car has a beautiful exterior and a sumptuous interior wrapped inch by inch in leather. If you are going to buy an X5, get the inline 6. That is the engine BMW is famous for. I have had the car for 2 years now. No reliability issues thus far.

Great Vehicle

by Bearmeister from Alberta Canada on Wed Mar 09 2011

2009 X5 35D Very Comfortable and the diesel is fantastic. Our winter in Alberta has been brutal...this is probably the warmest vehicle I have ever owned. Even with the factory all-seasons, traction has been great and we have a lot of ice. Owned a few Bimmers and this one is the best so far...would not hesitate to purchase another one.

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2009 BMW X5

The BMW X5 diesel is a prime example of having your cake and eating it too. A rather expensive cake, mind you.

The twin-turbo, 3.0-liter diesel accelerates like a sports car, yet it is rated at 19 miles per gallon in the city and 26 on the highway. That's 25 percent better fuel economy than the gasoline version.

Diesels have been popular in Europe for years, but now they are heading to these shores in cars from Audi, BMW, Volkswagen and Mercedes-Benz. They are no longer the loud and smelly engines that many Americans think of when they hear the name. Some argue that advanced diesel engines are more sophisticated than their gasoline counterparts.

BMW's six-cylinder diesel is a delightful powerplant because... Read More